Hyper tension medication ramipril & bendroflumethiazide

steve187

Hi i take the above medicine prescribed form the UK,  ramipril 5mg and bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg daily.

due to the ongoing virus concerns, i am thinking of delaying my booked flight back to the UK in may, i always bring enough medication to last my trip, so in a few months i will need to source the medication here, what alternatives are there to bendroflumethiazide as i believe its not available here, i have also read a study that reducing the 2.5mg dose to every other day has no side effects.   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9794747

regarding the ramipril i have at times bought them here, but cheaper Indian versions are hard to come by, and altace ramipril are expensive.

i live in the Ban chang area so any suggestions/comments  would be helpful

thank you be safe everyone

Ramipril as you know can be bought here. 

Vaspril is a locally made brand. Ramicard is Indian brand.

Bendroflumethiazide  is not available in Thailand. Hydrochlorthiazide would be closest and is readily available but check with your doctor if the switch is OK. The equivalent dosage would be 12.5 mg i.e. half a 25 mg tablet. It is extremely inexpensive.

As to where to buy see

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155081-getting-your-medications-without-travelling-options/

I think you should reconsider this idea of staying in Thailand rather than returning to UK unless you have (1) good health insurance that will cover you in Thailand (at least 1 million baht worth) and (2) enough money to live here for what could be many months since it may become impossible to fly back to the UK  for a while.  You also need to consider your visa status. 

Otherwise returning earlier would probably be the best recourse.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Ramipril as you know can be bought here. 

Vaspril is a locally made brand. Ramicard is Indian brand.

Bendroflumethiazide  is not available in Thailand. Hydrochlorthiazide would be closest and is readily available but check with your doctor if the switch is OK. The equivalent dosage would be 12.5 mg i.e. half a 25 mg tablet. It is extremely inexpensive.

As to where to buy see

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155081-getting-your-medications-without-travelling-options/

I think you should reconsider this idea of staying in Thailand rather than returning to UK unless you have (1) good health insurance that will cover you in Thailand (at least 1 million baht worth) and (2) enough money to live here for what could be many months since it may become impossible to fly back to the UK  for a while.  You also need to consider your visa status. 

Otherwise returning earlier would probably be the best recourse.

thanks for the info. home is here really, houses, land, wife, cars etc on a yearly wife extension, UK is just for work for a few months, so no real reason to return as work will be slow this year. my flight has been changed once and i think will be cancelled. yes will see a dr, but just preparing in the mean time.

Edited by steve187

I have had HB since I was 24 and now 72. I have taken Beta Blockers, Alpha Blockers and dietetics, for me the Alpha Blocker Zestril (Lisinopril) works best for me and is readily available here in Thailand.

Now I am not telling you to change meds but if you are here long term see a doctor and see what your alternatives would be. 

• Like 1