Immigration

Hello all,

First I'm sorry for my bad English, I'm french mother tong.

Here are my questions:

I would like to immigrate in Thailand, I'm Swiss citizen, 45 years old.

I'm specialized in Remote Sensing, GIS, Phy. Geography holding a Master of Science and I'm looking to work in Bangkok.

Which kind of visa I should get do to so?

I'm looking to say for the long-term.

Should I must find a job before asking for an Immigration visa?

What kind of monthly income should I expect?

Best regards to all the members

Olivier

PS I have already been in Bangkok few times as I was working in Kunming, China for a Swiss university

Which kind of visa I should get do to so?

I'm looking to say for the long-term.

you will need a non immigrant B visa from a thai consulate. when you come to thailand you will also need to get a work permit to work.

your visa and work permit can be extended to one year.

Thank you very much Huski.

If I understand well, I have to ask for that work permit once I'm in Thailand?

As I'm going to sell everything I have here I would not have any bad surprises once I'm in Thailand. Is that possible to have the work permit refused for any reasons? (I'm totaly clear and never been in jail).

Thank you very much for your time.

PS I already spent time in this forum and I still collecting good information.

If I understand well, I have to ask for that work permit once I'm in Thailand?

I was under the impression that any work permit ( except for teaching English in private schools..) was to be asked and obtained before entering Thailand...?

Anyone can confirm or infirm?

:o

A work permit can only be acquired IN Thailand upon application at the Labour Department. An embassy can not issue work permits but just visas.

Applying for a work permit is a mutual project for employer and employee and requires input from both parties. Neither employer nor employee can do it individually. A form has to be filled in by both.

Employer: Declares the intention to hire a specific person and provides the appropriate paperwork such as company registration and background, tax payment information and proves by this to have the right to hire a foreign employee.

Employee: Declares the interest to work for that company/position and provides information on the relevant qualification. Also needs a non-immigrant visa of the category B (business) or in some cases if married to a Thai and or having children of Thai nationality a non-immigrant visa of the category O.

A work permit does not allow you to take on any kind of job but it is strictly bound to

- work for a specific company

- in a specific job and position

- at a specific place

To be in the position to apply for a work permit you have to find an employer willing to hire you first.

A work permit can only be acquired IN Thailand upon application at the Labour Department. An embassy can not issue work permits but just visas.

Applying for a work permit is a mutual project for employer and employee and requires input from both parties. Neither employer nor employee can do it individually. A form has to be filled in by both.

Employer: Declares the intention to hire a specific person and provides the appropriate paperwork such as company registration and background, tax payment information and proves by this to have the right to hire a foreign employee.

Employee: Declares the interest to work for that company/position and provides information on the relevant qualification. Also needs a non-immigrant visa of the category B (business) or in some cases if married to a Thai and or having children of Thai nationality a non-immigrant visa of the category O.

A work permit does not allow you to take on any kind of job but it is strictly bound to

- work for a specific company

- in a specific job and position

- at a specific place

To be in the position to apply for a work permit you have to find an employer willing to hire you first.

Very succinct Richard. Thanks for that offering.

Therefore Olivier, reading your original post, you do not yet have an employer, in fact do not know exactly what work you intend to take up.

I would suggest that you first enter on a 60-day tourist visa, find an employer, go out again and apply for a business visa (Non-Imm :o which needs a letter from your prospective employer, come back in and go through the Work Permit process.

To have a 'B' visa you must be employed, or have prospective employment.

Therefore Olivier, reading your original post, you do not yet have an employer, in fact do not know exactly what work you intend to take up.

I would suggest that you first enter on a 60-day tourist visa, find an employer, go out again and apply for a business visa (Non-Imm :o which needs a letter from your prospective employer, come back in and go through the Work Permit process.

To have a 'B' visa you must be employed, or have prospective employment.

Not, even necessary to leave the country. Immigration in Soi Suan Plu can switch your 60 day tourist visa to a non-immigrant if the proper paperwok is provided. There is a specific Department particularly for this purpose (changing visa classes).

Did the same about 4 years ago. Entered the country on a 60 day tourist visa, got my company readily set-up, became appointed Managing Director and on this base my visa class was changed and a work permit issued.

Bear in mind basically everything is possible at Immigration Soi Suan Plu because this is the heart and driving force for all other immigration departments within Thailand and abroad embassies. So why cruise the world if it can be avoided?

Lots of luck.

As I'm going to sell everything I have here I would not have any bad surprises once I'm in Thailand. Is that possible to have the work permit refused for any reasons?

From your first post, it sounds as though you do not have a job yet?

Immigration rules are currrently being tightened quite dramatically here in Thailand.

I would not recommend that you sell you home in Europe, until you are quite sure of were you will live and work here. Better to rent out your house in Europe for the time being. If nothing else the money will pay your house rent here. You cannot own land here as a foreigner

Hello all,

First, thank you for your remarks.

Yes, I don't have a job yet.

In my mind, I would like to get a job before moving. I already started to write and sending CV to compagny in Bangkok. In an other hand I'll try to advertize on some Internet board like this one under the Job section.

I am not tring to get any kind of job to get there, but something within my competence in Geomatic.

So, do you think I'll be more lucky to do this by visiting directly some compagny in Bangkok? Insteed of doing this by email?

Best Regards to all

Olivier

Olivier, I would do it step by step.

Send your CV's, get response and if you manage 1 or 2 that look positive may be come here for an interview.

Once you have a job start thinking to sell everything. But why to burn all bridges behind you?

Another idea. Find an employer at home who is willing to send you to Thailand. That way you could arrive here, perhaps after some initial training, as an expatriate.

Just to clarify something here, unless you are starting your own company you don't require a non-immigrant B visa to get a work permit. Any non-immigrant visa will allow you to get a work permit if you can find an employer.

And before anyone contradicts this, yes you can still get one on a retirement visa (at least in chonburi you can anyway).

:o

Did the same about 4 years ago. Entered the country on a 60 day tourist visa, got my company readily set-up, became appointed Managing Director and on this base my visa class was changed and a work permit issued.

Does that mean that I can use my Ltd Company (just formed to buy a house in Pattay,) to get me a 'B' visa and work permit?.

I am in the UK now but coming over to Marry and stay soon.

Also do you have the Phone number of Immigration in Soi Suan Plu?

Thanks

Does that mean that I can use my Ltd Company (just formed to buy a house in Pattay,) to get me a 'B' visa and work permit?.

I am in the UK now but coming over to Marry and stay soon.

Also do you have the Phone number of Immigration in Soi Suan Plu?

Thanks

Does you Co. Ltd. qualify to hire a foreign employee in terms of the requirements (capital, BOI supported and/or number of Thai employees). Also what is the objective of the company (certainly other than just buying land) with regards to business activities?

You may be able to initially get a non-immigrant B and a work permit but you will surely run into problems if it comes to extensions. The company must be active means the purpose is to conduct business, file monthly tax reports (and pay taxes) and pay social insurance fees. Holding a work permit surely has its price.

Office of Immigration Bureau, Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. (662) 287-3127 or 287-3101-10 ext. 2264-5

Good luck.