Suddenly Grateful to Thai Immigration

28 minutes ago, FatVern said:

Today I’m feeling very grateful to Thai Immigration (knock on wood) for making me withdraw $28K from the stock market and deposit in Bangkok Bank savings for the Retirement Extension. I would only have $18k otherwise as investments down 37%. Now don’t mess that up Thailand! I might have to buy a round for the IOs. I take back most of the nasty thoughts I’ve had.

Be nice if we had a lot more such gratitude expressed from the huge brigade whinging about how, if only, they'd be making so much more in what must be share portfolios, as if that was guaranteed. ???? I don't think we'll be hearing too much of that for a while.

3 minutes ago, donnacha said:

You would only have lost money if you had chosen now, during what is clearly a catastrophic low, to sell your shares. This is not going to be the first time in history that the markets don't recover.

Sorry, TVF Economics doesn't allow that logic to apply to condo owning. And we must be consistent.

Now I think markets in general do recover given enough time. However, most of our posters just buy-and-hold, whereas they should already have been selling during the past few years as the market advanced. So there could be a wait, maybe longer than some of our old retirees have, before prices recover. But I leave it our experts to make predictions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Well, how do you think Thailand and the Thai Baht are going to do over the next year or so, with a decimated tourist industry and far lower factory orders?

Wouldn't matter, as the 800K is on deposit. Or if spent, spent in Thailand, and Thai prices might well fall so that some great bargains might be had. But come down to it, you have absolutely no idea what's going to happen to prices or the baht. If you could predict currency movements, you'd be far too rich to be bothering to post here as a keyboard warrior.

36 minutes ago, donnacha said:

And where do you think they might turn to generate much needed revenue without annoying the citizens too much?

Loosen the foreign quota in condo buildings as they did in the financial crisis of 1997?

Sorry, I know you want to stir up paranoia and, inevitably, get to the seizure of farang property and bank accounts. Good luck with that nonsense. The Just In Case fallacy is one of the standard tools. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I anticipate 40 baht to the USD....  wishful thinking I know, but one has to be positive 555

At that point, if US$ holds, I am bringing in 30,000 baht a month extra. 

That would be stellar.

We will see.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, donnacha said:

You would only have lost money if you had chosen now, during what is clearly a catastrophic low, to sell your shares. This is not going to be the first time in history that the markets don't recover.

And yet at times it has taken 20 years to recover. 

This is the start of a true bear market. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I sold most of my stock market holding a day into the fall, way money ahead. I also have a contra fund which goes up when the market is down I am way ahead on my stock market earnings a bit of prior planning and paying attention is all it takes.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 12:21 PM, donnacha said:

Well, how do you think Thailand and the Thai Baht are going to do over the next year or so, with a decimated tourist industry and far lower factory orders?

And where do you think they might turn to generate much needed revenue without annoying the citizens too much?

How do you think every currency in the world will react to, for example unemployment connected to the current situation? Thailand will survive. 

On 3/22/2020 at 1:21 AM, donnacha said:

Thai baht will dive, making Thai exports cheap and everyone in the world will need everything from things being shut down so long in China. So things will skyrocket for a month or two and then the greedy Thai govt will step in again and screw things up!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, moe666 said:

I sold most of my stock market holding a day into the fall, way money ahead. I also have a contra fund which goes up when the market is down I am way ahead on my stock market earnings a bit of prior planning and paying attention is all it takes.

I'm waiting a few more days and then I'm thinking I'm going to start looking at buying.. Food companies, oil companies, maybe an airline any ideas? 

Noice: This topic is now closed since it gone off topic and is not visa related.

Continue the discussion in the business, banking and investment forum.