Bangkok: Should I stay or should I go?

wasabi

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

Oh come on now, stop confusing us...you booked the last flight to BKK...and now you changed again? Do you have boobies maybe? And blond hair?

I got manboobs but havent booked a flight to BKK since I been here. So you are confusing yourself.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Manila is in complete lockdown...close to martial law.

Face Talking with a friend of mine living there as he cannot get back to UK, there is a curfew from 20.00 until 05.30. Strictly enforced.

19 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Mate - the reaction is worse than the virus IMO. I would be more worried about being able to live inside for 2-4 weeks if they do shut it all down.  If you decide to stay then go get some supplies - dont get heaps and hoard as others will need stuff too. Take a look around and decide what you would need for a few weeks locked up - get what the posters above said - critical is water and a big bag of rice and some cans and any other necessaries.  If there is a lockdown, then there will always be a few street vendors willing to sell things - wear a mask if you go outside and dont go out at night and not alone - only go out with the GF with you. 

Only go out with th GF with you ???????????? meaning the GF's have bigger b.lls then most of the posters 5555555 , nice going AussieBob .

Where I stay in Bangkok except for the closure of bars beauty salons ect life goes on 

I am still out in the evenings for my daily walking exercise there are others as well not as many which is just as well

Hopefully no major lock down in the future

18 hours ago, jacob29 said:

If it starts looking like that, Thailand can and presumably will execute a quarantine that is far more comprehensive than Italy. Quarantine enforcement is more critical than medical capacity, we know this as Italy has a decent healthcare system, better than many parts of China. They just fumbled the quarantine, read some of the early stories about how seriously the quarantine was taken.

There is no serious quarantine here, but if the death toll starts climbing in earnest, I expect pretty strict measures to be adopted.

This is the point exactly.  You don't want to escape quarantine; you want to be in it.  Supply of food and water could become a problem, but it's hard to see if that would be more likely in BKK than elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

Not even Italy has closed grocery stores! Why would anyone do this except if they wanted the population to starve to death!

Italy screwed up big time.  First by failing to take prompt action like S. Korea and then by failing to impose a mandatory, rather than voluntary, quarantine on infected persons.  They never did contact tracing.

You wonder why they didn't ask the Chinese or Koreans for advice.

The outcome in the US will be worse than Italy.

Edited by cmarshall

1 hour ago, justin case said:

they don't sell food in 7/11

it is FOOD LIKE chum with chemicals / fake chemical flavors / msg / ...

Compared to what's available in Indonesian mini-marts, the Thai 7/11 food selection is amazing. Banana, yoghurt and one of those 40thb chicken fillets, a basic meal more food like than many restaurants.

3 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Compared to what's available in Indonesian mini-marts, the Thai 7/11 food selection is amazing. Banana, yoghurt and one of those 40thb chicken fillets, a basic meal more food like than many restaurants.

The EzGO brand in 7/11 that is chilled but not frozen is surprisingly good. I'm not saying you should base your whole diet on this but in situations like we find ourselves it's a welcome way to get some grub.

I agree with the lest few comments.  I'm staying put.  I can still walk to work where I'm doing online teaching; if that has stop I can do it from home too.  It's nice and quiet and the supermarkets are well stocked.  Street-food and fastfood is still available.  I'd much rather be here than in the UK.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Italy screwed up big time.  First by failing to take prompt action like S. Korea and then by failing to impose a mandatory, rather than voluntary, quarantine on infected persons.  They never did contact tracing.

Don't forget their massively woke and ill-timed "hug a Chinese and post it on instagram" initiative.

None of the pics I saw had anyone wearing a mask.

Man...they really showed all those racists!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Only go out with th GF with you ???????????? meaning the GF's have bigger b.lls then most of the posters 5555555 , nice going AussieBob .

Think.  It is not about that. It is less likely that 'troubled' young male Thais will start trouble if you are with a Thai girl. Common sense really. You should try to get some - may save you trouble one day.  As they say - only fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, AussieBob18 said:

the reaction is worse than the virus IMO.

As I understand Covid19 leads to pneumonia and then ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome) when the lungs getting more and more inflamed.

The difference is with Covid19, ARDS seems to happen overnight. Doctors reporting patients gasping for air with pink frothy secretions coming out of the ventilator tube and out of the patients’ mouth.

The pink froth secretion is blood cells that are leaking into their airways.

The patients feel like the ventilator is chocking them so they want to tear it off but they're not choking, they're drowning in their own blood.

I could be wrong but initial reports suggest you can't exactly sweat it out with a slab of VB in the sauna.

Yes.

Seriously, go...where?

Where do you want to be alone and isolated for the next few weeks or even months?

This is a WORLDWIDE epidemic.  Where do you think you will escape this?

Go to some remote island in Indonesia.  What would you do after your money runs out and it's impossible to get off the island to get to an ATM?

Cmon.  Get real.

13 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Think.  It is not about that. It is less likely that 'troubled' young male Thais will start trouble if you are with a Thai girl. Common sense really. You should try to get some - may save you trouble one day.  As they say - only fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

I think it more likely you will paint a target on yourself if with a Thai girl.  Fear, anger and all that repressed resentment at the "rich" old farang taking Thai women... 

Is this where I should add some passive-aggressive insult to finish my post?  Nah, couldn't be arsed.

9 hours ago, moojar said:

I think it more likely you will paint a target on yourself if with a Thai girl.  Fear, anger and all that repressed resentment at the "rich" old farang taking Thai women... 

Is this where I should add some passive-aggressive insult to finish my post?  Nah, couldn't be arsed.

Good decision - unsults not needed - only good advice.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, wasabi said:

Prachuap Kiri Khan. The best hospital there is on the Wing 5 Royal Airforce base.

This Hospital stands on a military base. This area is already closed. This hospital is only reserved for the military not open for the public or for foreigners.

Edited by bestie