Domestic's Visa

Hi there

Has any one had experience in obtaining a domestic visa for the UK. My wife's sister has been working as our maid (nothing like keeping the money in the family) and we are now considering returning to the UK. I see that there is a domestic's visa and I have heard of Indian families bringing their servants with them.

Is it possible as she is dependant on us that she could get a settlement visa.

I would be grateful to hear if any one has had experience in a similar situation

Chris,

There is nothing in principle preventing your sister-in-law getting a domestic worker visa. Should she qualify, she would be allowed to stay in the UK one year at a time as your employee, then applying for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years. However, if she is to make such an application, she will need to meet the requirements of the relevant paragraph of the immigration rules.

In general terms, she will need to demonstrate that she has been employed by you for 12 months or more and that she works in a household which you also largely occupy. Her employment in the UK must be full time and you will need to draw up a contract in which you undertake to pay her at least the national minimum wage. You'd also be responsible for paying her tax and NI contributions.

If you've been employing your sister-in-law in Thailand without a contract and pay slips, and have been paying her cash-in-hand, it's going to be difficult establishing to the satisfaction of the visa officer that she has, indeed, been in your employ for the claimed length of time.

Scouse.