Does Anyone in Chiang Mai know of a currency exchange still open?

Lisalisa79

Many of the exchange shops in Chiang Mai primarily cater to Chinese and other Asian tourists, who have largely disappeared.  So it's not surprising many would shut at least temporarily.  I would though be very surprised if banks stopped offering exchange services - they might close some of their smaller branch offices though (especially those in main tourist areas).  You might not be pleased with the exchange rates however as the Baht is falling like a rock versus currencies considered 'safe havens' like the USD and JPY, and banks often don't offer rates as good as some exchange places like Super Rich.

3 hours ago, Lisalisa79 said:

All the exchanges by Maya Mall are closed.  

because the mall is closed except for food, just like banks in malls are closed unless very near grocery store, if on a different floor closed  but open outside malls

stand alone exchanges are open mostly, try SK

SCB in Phuket was open today but they have stopped foreign exchange so I would assume that maybe all banks have? I was directed to an exchange booth in Boat Lagoon - at 30.02 to the USD I told them to stick it - it's above 33 now on XE and SuperRich web site was quoting 32.87 earlier today.  I will try SuperRich tomorrow.

To the best of my knowledge, foreign exchange was discontinued about two weeks ago. I tried to exchange some Korean won and was told they didn't want the employees handling foreign currencies. I tried the bank  (Kasikorn) and SK as well. Both declined.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1152431-covid-19-major-thai-bank-stops-exchanging-foreign-money/

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

I went past Super Rich on Loi Khroh today and it was closed.

I think all the exchange booths in Chiang Mai are closed.

The only shop open might be Superrich in Bangkok because they can afford to disinfect their premises and foreign currency everyday.

The smaller booths don't have budget to disinfect, that's why they close.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 2

Tuesday morning 8:35 I called SK, Charoen Prathet Road in Chiang Mai, and they said they were open till 6pm and would exchange USD, I am sure they would also exchange other currencies but did not inquire about all.

Called Super Rich just now, they open today 1pm-6pm.

Edited by Rimmer
flame removed
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

I think all the exchange booths in Chiang Mai are closed.

The only shop open might be Superrich in Bangkok because they can afford to disinfect their premises and foreign currency everyday.

The smaller booths don't have budget to disinfect, that's why they close.

So who is correct, you or Dante?