COVID-19 Tracking App

Curt1591

There's a new app showing up on Line that will track you, and COVID cases, and alert you if you are nearing known infections. Y'all might want to discourage your friends, wives and girlfriends to pass on it.

Then again, I'm sure the app provider is a stand up entity, and will turn off the tracking will the virus subsides. ????

• Confused 2

29 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

could you clarify how to find this app to download it.

Line is where the little missus came across it

15 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

How would the app know about people with infections, when most people who are infected don't know it themselves? Seems pretty dangerous to trust something so unreliable. 

Ya think? 

9 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Ya think? 

Well, it's kind of obvious. Anyone who is registered as having an infection isn't going to be in a public place, since as soon as they tested positive they'd be put in quarantine. There will be many cases around however who do have the infection but haven't been tested and will not show up on any app. 

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I'm sure the O/P is referring to this web site which gives a daily report showing where each confirmed case is. I'm quite sure that it is bona fide.

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/en#

No; I am not talking about a website; I am talking about a tracking app. It possibly would use the data from that site, or one of many others, as their "infected" base. 

9 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Well, it's kind of obvious. Anyone who is registered as having an infection isn't going to be in a public place, since as soon as they tested positive they'd be put in quarantine. There will be many cases around however who do have the infection but haven't been tested and will not show up on any app. 

Yes.

In case anyone is missing my point, my point is DON'T INSTALL IT.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I'm sure the O/P is referring to this web site which gives a daily report showing where each confirmed case is. I'm quite sure that it is bona fide.

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/en#

The website above is not currently providing information. I had been referring to it for many days now and noted the spread from Bangkok to the north and east of the country in particular. It was functioning until sometime on Monday evening.

I can only speculate what might have happened to it!

19 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

No; I am not talking about a website; I am talking about a tracking app. It possibly would use the data from that site, or one of many others, as their "infected" base. 

OK, now I understand. Thanks for clarifying that. I also missed the word 'discourage'. Too early in the morning. ????

14 minutes ago, a269652 said:

The website above is not currently providing information. I had been referring to it for many days now and noted the spread from Bangkok to the north and east of the country in particular. It was functioning until sometime on Monday evening.

It updates daily and the banner always shows the current infection rate in line with the WHO daily 'sit rep'. As far the location information goes, there's bound to be a lag as it would depend on info coming in from the provinces. I reckon it's as good as we're going to get and certainly a lot better than nothing.

Edited by Moonlover

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It updates daily and the banner always shows the current infection rate in line with the WHO daily 'sit rep'. As far the location information goes, there's bound to be a lag as it would depend on info coming in from the provinces. I reckon it's as good as we're going to get and certainly a lot better than nothing.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 07.52.24.png

• Thanks 1

A similar App was used in Singapore very successfully. The App tracks your movements, like Google Time line but also records the phone details of anyone near you (needs Bluetooth on for this). Then, if someone comes down with the virus, the health people can find all the people you were in contact with and test them too.

As I said, I believe it was a major reason for Singapore to keep on top of the virus.

52 minutes ago, cme said:

A similar App was used in Singapore very successfully. The App tracks your movements, like Google Time line but also records the phone details of anyone near you (needs Bluetooth on for this). Then, if someone comes down with the virus, the health people can find all the people you were in contact with and test them too.

As I said, I believe it was a major reason for Singapore to keep on top of the virus.

True, but Singapore offered free testing for everyone, plus the society there is much more authoritarian - people who are told to download tracking apps will do so. 

On 3/24/2020 at 7:34 AM, a269652 said:

They can only go the little info the government gives out on where people got infected.

I know people that most likely caught it in Thong Lor and Nana, but the government just say 'night life areas'

On 3/24/2020 at 11:17 PM, cme said:

On 3/25/2020 at 12:11 AM, lamyai3 said:

True, but Singapore offered free testing for everyone, plus the society there is much more authoritarian - people who are told to download tracking apps will do so. 

Have they announced when all Singaporeans will be required to have chip implants? ????

7 hours ago, cme said:

Agreed but my comment was aimed at those worried about being spied upon.

I think that would include many in Thailand. Firstly, a lot of people don't trust the authorities to play fair or act competently here when it comes to monitoring, an obvious example is the TM30 debacle last year.

Second, a lot of people sometimes do things and go to places they'd rather not admit to - not illegal, but perhaps frowned upon by work colleagues or family etc. This could have been something as innocuous as a happy hour beer in the wrong part of town.

Hence contact tracing and location tracking is always going to be a problem here, and avoided by a significant number of people.