Will I be able to leave?

Gary Maneval

I am from America.  I am on a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.  I arrived in Thailand on 6 November 2019.  I have crossed into Laos twice now to renew the 60 day

renewal requirement.  My Visa is now expired.  My current Visa expires on 30 April 2020.  Because of the Virus, I have had two flights canceled on me.  One

with Singapore Airlines and now one with EVA airlines.  Next flight I have been assigned to is EVA flight out on 17 April 2020.  As you can see I have gave myself

some leeway for time, but if they keep canceling flights it could become a problem.  I live in Yasothon while I am i Thailand.  We have an immigration office 

here in Yasothon.  If I need to put in for the "extra" do days Visa, should I be able to do it here in Yasothon or do you have to go to the Immigration office in

Bangkok.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Gary Maneval said:

So now with the lockdown, how will I get to the Airport, assuming this flight isn't canceled.  Will I need to get ahold of the American Embassy???

Lockdown doesn't mean absolute shut-in.  If you must go out, you'll manage.  Eg. grocery buying, banking, and the like.
You can get a letter to request extension from most embassies.  The U.S. consulate emails them out same-day upon request.  I assume most others are doing something similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brommers said:

Check Qatar Airways if you want an earlier flight.  They have multiple departures per week and have just made a point of saying that they are continuing to fly. Emirates and Etihad are grounded.

So Qatar flies to America? Do you know how long that flight is?

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, elgenon said:

So Qatar flies to America? Do you know how long that flight is?

Gee, how about checking the website?!

yes, they fly to America. Qatar has one of the most extensive networks of all airlines. 
how long? That depends on where you’re going exactly. NYC will be shorter than LA of course. And then if you have a connection in the States it will be even longer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

Gee, how about checking the website?!

yes, they fly to America. Qatar has one of the most extensive networks of all airlines. 
how long? That depends on where you’re going exactly. NYC will be shorter than LA of course. And then if you have a connection in the States it will be even longer. 

I assume that that someone has the info. You objected but still gave me what you know. Bless you. Much easier to ask a question as I do my email for 2 hours. By the way to LA it is 16 hours 15 minutes.

Do you know where the layover is? 

2 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

All flights connect in Doha, Qatar

Thanks, I figured that but my limited knowledge of geography thought that would make the flight long. I will check it out next time. I appreciate your help. I Googled the question but Mr Google did not answer it.

18 hours ago, RichCor said:

Is that the earliest possible flight back you can possibly book?

The way things are looking, if you don't have a long-term option for hunkering down here in Thailand and riding a population-wide infection/recovery cycle out (however long that may take) then rather you should get home on the next possible flight.

It’s not so easy.  My son, who carries dual citizenship, is stranded in Australia where he attends university. I have tried everything.  There are no flights in the foreseeable future.  Based on what we are seeing mid April seems wildly optimistic.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Gary Maneval said:

Next flight I have been assigned to is EVA flight out on 17 April 2020.

If me in that situation, I would leave Thailand before April 1st with any available connection to back home.

5 hours ago, bbz404 said:

NYC will be shorter than LA of course. And then if you have a connection in the States it will be even longer. 

What? You better check your globe and world flight times. NYC is further from BKK than the west coast of America. Very misleading info you have posted up..

12 minutes ago, marin said:

What? You better check your globe and world flight times. NYC is further from BKK than the west coast of America. Very misleading info you have posted up..

Maybe you better check where Doha is, Mr. Globetrotter!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

EVA cancelled all their flights 2-3 days ago. Try United to Narita as they still have daily flights to San Francisco and Los Angeles. They are getting more expensive say than 3 days ago (tripled) and I can see they are going to close up soon if it gets worse. Longer you wait the less chance of getting out and incurring heavier costs and then no one not on the long term renewal visa is guaranteed to be able to keep on staying here having extra days added.

The smart person would get out now while you still can.

I wish I had your problem.  I have an ANA flight May 4 that they won't cancel (only cancelling flights up to April 30 so far).  My event in New York was cancelled, Thailand won't let me back in and I don't want to travel now anyway.  If ANA doesn't cancel my flight I lose a bundle. 

i left the last day possible for europe, 7 days ago, i knew what will happen......the way to do it is to contact your embassy and ask them to get you out......

or just overstay and pay 500 bht per day....i am sure immigration will leave you alone now....or get a letter from embassy and extend your stay this way....