Covid-19: Thai nurses come up with something better than N95 masks - N99

webfact

Covid-19: Thai nurses come up with something better than N95 masks - N99

10pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai nurses at a leading university have come up with a better alternative to protect medical personnel on the front line battling the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Sanook reported that as cases rise continually in Thailand nurses at the Vachira faculty of medicine at Navamindradhiraj University in Bangkok have used items already available to medical staff to upgrade N95 masks. 

The N99 masks with filters are also known as "Cambridge Masks" and provide added protection from dust, bacteria and viruses. 

Dr Anan Manomaiphiboon at the uni said that the devices had been tested and would be put to use in the fight against Covid-19. 

Sanook called them "Thai" face masks, though the technology was developed abroad and the masks are known as "British Military Grade" in online assessments. 

It appears that the Thais have managed to fashion them cheaply and effectively from items that are readily available in hospital settings. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-31

10pm2.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

called Thai masks but developed abroad AKA/called British Military Grade, why didn't they call them by that name

'Cause they aren't British Military Grade, duh. Nor were they developed abroad, though the basic tech was.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

nurses at the Vachira faculty of medicine at Navamindradhiraj University in Bangkok have used items already available to medical staff to upgrade N95 masks.

. . .

It appears that the Thais have managed to fashion them cheaply and effectively from items that are readily available in hospital settings. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

called Thai masks but developed abroad AKA/called British Military Grade, why didn't they call them by that name

Actually if you look at the maker name on the filter, you will find that it is Drager, the Mercedes Benz of medical equipment and yes, a German company.

At a guess, what they have actually done is to take regular masks and fit the Drager filter onto them. The filter might be a spare part for a machine, such as a baby incubator, to filter the air going in to ensure that no viruses get in that way. Not sure about whether they allow sufficient air intake - the trouble is that if not, air gets in via the sides of the mask (otherwise the nurse dies through lack of oxygen!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai nurses at a leading university have come up with a better alternative to protect medical personnel on the front line battling the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Ahh, Thai nurses, the new researchers, the old experts sleeping

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

This is a good idea. Those Ventilator filters are likely rated at at least an N95 rating, which is 0.3 microns filtration. What would be an even better solution would be a full faced CPAP mask and then attach the same filter. 

13920162511Respironics-FitLife-Total-Full-Face-CPAP-Mask-With-Headgear-L-L.png

I can image how I would sweat under that mask in the Thai heat

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Tom (truck driver), Dick (plumber), and Harry (brock layer) are unware of the fact that a patent can be given to anybody who improves an exisiting product by making it cheap using easily available alternative componenets. 

The saga of Tom, Dick, and Harry in the time of Corona continues...

Edited by Mulambana
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

'Cause they aren't British Military Grade, duh. Nor were they developed abroad, though the basic tech was.

just to clarify, where did I say they WERE British Military Grade....I mention a post that you may have missed, so here it is again """" masks are known as "British Military Grade" in online assessments"""

Would you please reference where we can find the research data to validate  they are more effective against this particular airborne contaminant?

yeah, that is what I thought... there are reasons why so many Thai nurses doctors and other allied HC professionals seek further training and post graduate education in the west...

I would say SCBAs and full face air purifying respirators are also more effective in air contaminated environments...but they aren’t going to be used and I’ll let you figure out why...

if I was still practicing in this type of environment, I would have given the staff the option of fit tight chemical goggles given the uncertainty of actual transmission (inhalation vs mucous membranes or both)...face shields better than nothing but googles are superior... 

Edited by cardinalblue

4 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Filters from Drägerwerke AG in germany, not british at all, based in in Lübeck, should work: https://www.draeger.com/en_uk/Products/Electrostatic-Filter

as a german i autoapprove this design

PS: must be really hard for journalists to actually google the thing on the picture...

PS2: Obviously it's also not military grade, those are filters for ICU ventilators ..... ..... 

read Thomas, it did not say British made. So calm down.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Would you please reference where we can find the research data to validate  they are more effective against this particular airborne contaminant?

https://www.draeger.com/en-us_us/Hospital/Products/Accessories-and-Consumables/Ventilation-Accessories/Breathing-System-Filters-and-HME/Viral-Bacterial-Filters

They are literally Viral filters...

5 minutes ago, bluedoc said:

read Thomas, it did not say British made. So calm down.

No idea who you are even, calling these things british military grade is just plain wrong and not mentioned at all in the original article. 

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

https://www.draeger.com/en-us_us/Hospital/Products/Accessories-and-Consumables/Ventilation-Accessories/Breathing-System-Filters-and-HME/Viral-Bacterial-Filters

They are literally Viral filters...

No idea who you are even, calling these things british military grade is just plain wrong and not mentioned at all in the original article. 

Quote from the OP and the last 2 paragraphs

"Sanook called them "Thai" face masks, though the technology was developed abroad and the masks are known as "British Military Grade" in online assessments. 

It appears that the Thais have managed to fashion them cheaply and effectively from items that are readily available in hospital settings."

I put the relevant bit in bold.

15 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Filters from Drägerwerke AG in germany, not british at all, based in in Lübeck, should work: https://www.draeger.com/en_uk/Products/Electrostatic-Filter

as a german i autoapprove this design

PS: must be really hard for journalists to actually google the thing on the picture...

PS2: Obviously it's also not military grade, those are filters for ICU ventilators ..... ..... 

I must give credit where credit is due.  The Germans have always been the best at detail and precision.

• Like 1