Lighting Circuit 6 Amp

Cashboy

I am currently wiring up the consumer unit to the sockets and switches.

The light circuit that runs off 6 Amp MCB that is connected through an RCD in the fuse box.

None of the LCD light fittings have an earth in them.

Surely there is no point in running an earth from the light switch to the light fitting?

That would surely then enable me to run a two core 1.0mm insulated cable to the light fitting in the loft and therefore negate all that plastic trunking?

Is there even any point running an earth from the consumer unit to the light switches as only 6 Amp and has an RCD in the consumer unit?

Some codes require ground to any fixture or connection box made of metal.  I wouldn't bother for lighting though.  Ceiling fans definitely need ground.

BTW:  "only 6 amp" is irrelevant. Less than 1 amp is sufficient to kill.  And, if using 1mm2 I would put in conduit as it can easily be damaged.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

I would go with 1.5mm2 purely on a mechanical damage basis.

If all your fittings are Class-2 (no ground connection) then I'd be fine with no ground.

The question of conduit/no conduit is up to you. Singles MUST go in conduit but the twin insulated and sheathed stuff (VAF http://www.bangkokcable.com/product/backoffice/file_upload/131007_31-300!300V 70C VAF 2C.pdf ) can go naked. It is still vulnerable to the local wildlife (rodents).