Dropped my phone - Phone repair during Corona shutdown?!? (Bangkok)

idiot farang

I dropped my phone and the screen is black- clearly destroyed my LCD. My indestructible phone choosing a bad time to prove me wrong...

Any suggestions on repairing in the age of govt. shutting down all "non-essential" services?!?

Unfortunately, I have pretty much everything on my phone and, thus, simply replacing the phone does me not good. I can connect it to my computer- my PC recognizes it, but when I click on the Galaxy S6 icon (hey, don't judge- I know it's a relic- but it's MY relic!), it say "This folder is empty". I assume this is because I have no way of putting in my passcode to unlock the phone. Still getting texts, so, again, pretty sure it's just the LCD.

I'm in BKK (Sukhumvit area). Obviously any of the guys from MBK would love the work- I just don't have a contact number. Assuming/hoping someone has a favoured shop they can recommend- as they all have their mobile on their business cards.

Thanks...

Edited by idiot farang

I always go to a shop named "Target" in Fortune Town (Ratchada at Rama 9 - Rama 9 MRT) that always does a great job for a good price. You can find them on Facebook, but you may need a Thai person to help you. When I contacted them (via Facebook Messenger) they said that their repair guy is still working from home. All I had to do was use LineMan to ship the phone in for repair, and he would ship it back to me. Easy peasy. But unless you are good with speaking Thai, I would strongly recommend that you find a Thai person to assist you with the communications. I am sure many other shops are doing the same thing.

https://www.facebook.com/targetmobilefortunetown/

[PM me if you want the direct phone number of the repair guy]

Edited by timendres
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

I would post in the "Mobile devices" area of the forum, two below this one on my layout.  More likely to get someone with the required info there.

I would think those shops are not listed in the "essential store" category. 

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, atyclb said:

on a backstreet near MRT thailand cultural center station there are many freestanding phone sales/ repair shops that seem to still be open. usualy thay open late afternoon til late but curfew means closing early.

location link will get you to that street

https://goo.gl/maps/SFpDERDccRTKgw6R6

Thank you for this and thanks to all for your replies. If this doesn't do the trick, I'll repost in the mobile area- I didn't scroll down far enough to realize tech was further broken out.

Definitely need a good/sharp/honest shop-- from my reading, seems, since the LCD did not actually break, it may just be a loose connection from the drop. The USB port was recently replaced and, I'm hoping, He didn't button things back up very well and it's as simple as that vs a part that is worth more than the phone (that I'd still pay for since the data on the phone trumps the cost).

Thanks again...

1 hour ago, idiot farang said:

Thank you for this and thanks to all for your replies. If this doesn't do the trick, I'll repost in the mobile area- I didn't scroll down far enough to realize tech was further broken out.

Definitely need a good/sharp/honest shop-- from my reading, seems, since the LCD did not actually break, it may just be a loose connection from the drop. The USB port was recently replaced and, I'm hoping, He didn't button things back up very well and it's as simple as that vs a part that is worth more than the phone (that I'd still pay for since the data on the phone trumps the cost).

Thanks again...

You do know that you can upgrade to a new phone and simply have everything transfered over from the old to new phone?

You need to get the phone in mtp mode. You can pull everything off the phone.

Try the Samsung website. Dlld any and all sw that interface with the phone. use original or quality cable. Try each program. Fully uninstall with Revo.

Normally you'd choose that on the phone screen. Maybe with a driver support package it might default.

Usually default to PTP. That sounds like your problem.

Something else might work. Either remove device driver in device manager or try different computer. Reboot after uninstall then and only then plug the phone in. Hopefully you'll get prompt for PTP or mtp choose mtp.

You can get everything above root

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tony125 said:
15 hours ago, idiot farang said:

Thanks again...

You do know that you can upgrade to a new phone and simply have everything transfered over from the old to new phone?

to do that usually requires the lcd screen to work .

there may be shops that can resolder the memory chip to another phone and retrieve the data. memory chip removed data recovery also possible as long as not encrypted.

• Like 1

sounds like the phone is history as you can't get the screen to show therefore you can't transfer files onto your PC via an app. Try a small phone shop as there are some open near the back of MBK. 

Buy a new phone that is more robust or buy one of those rubber clear covers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional replies. No being able to enter my password is why it connects and shows up fine on my laptop, but files are unavailable. That said, I didn't think beyond that- so I'll explore ways to get past the password blocking access. Good thing is everything seems to be working besides the display-- as I am getting notifications.

9 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

Thanks for the additional replies. No being able to enter my password is why it connects and shows up fine on my laptop, but files are unavailable. That said, I didn't think beyond that- so I'll explore ways to get past the password blocking access. Good thing is everything seems to be working besides the display-- as I am getting notifications.

When you connect it to the laptop and expect to be prompted for the password, enter it as if the phone was working normally.  If it's only the display that's broken your laptop might get access even though you can't confirm it visually.