Leaving Thailand to return to the UK.

Does anyone have any accurate information about what, if any, special documentation is needed for a UK citizen to fly back to the UK?

He has a flight booked already and an e-ticket but what about stuff like needing a letter from the embassy, (I have read about it but it's not on the embassy's website as far as I can see). What about a 'fit to fly' document? A lock of hair from one's new born son? 

I have called the embassy but no one is picking up. I expect they are up to their eyes in requests.

I'm placing this on behalf of an elderly gent who does not have any access to a computer

All he needs is a passport and a ticket for a flight that's operating, there is currently no requirement for any type of fit to fly certificate.

There is also, again currently, no screening on arrival in the UK, though the British Government have leased a number of hotels near major UK Airports in case quarantine is deemed necessary, the Holiday Inn Ariel at LHR is one such facility.

Is somebody intending to meet him on arrival, does he have somewhere to live?

He should keep in mind that there are no flights out of Thailand until at least 18 April.

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

He should keep in mind that there are no flights out of Thailand until at least 18 April.

I know that is supposed to be the rule, but there are still flights with Qatar Airways and others coming in and out.  Are they getting away with it under the "repatriation flights" get out?

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking at the advice from the Embassy that says Eva Air are still flying. 

His ticket, bought last night, is for April 17th.

I was aware the flight ban until the 18th but I think that is only on incoming aircraft (at the moment). I gather Eva Air fly and empty plane from Taipei to BKK then pick up passengers here.

And Qatar airways is also listed as flying on the Embassy daily briefing. 

6 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Not strictly true. Coming in yes, going out the current choices to the UK are as of today and can change -

EVA direct - Flight left today currently over Turmenistan. Current flights days until Apr 30 are - 10 12 15 17 19 20 24 26 28. The schedule goes to 6 days a week from 1 May, Tuesdays excepting. This schedule is very provisional and I do not expect it to happen.

Qatar - Their flight schedule is changing frequently as I assume fewer people are now leaving BKK.

Doha – Bangkok
1 daily, 777-300ER 

Doha – Edinburgh
2 weekly B787-8

Doha – London Heathrow all daily

QR003/004 19MAR20 – 30JUN20 A350-1000XWB
QR009/010 19MAR20 – 30JUN20 A350-1000XWB 
QR007/008 30MAR20 – 31MAY20 A350-1000XWB 

Doha – Manchester
1 daily, 787-8 

KLM currently have 2 flights a week to AMS currently scheduled until 12 April.

UK Ireland connections are only current up to April 11 -  Heathrow, Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Dublin.

Lufthansa currently has 3 flights a week to FRA currently scheduled until 2 May.

UK connections 14 flights a week to Heathrow currently until 19 April.

From April 12, BA has posted today the following limited domestic flights

London Heathrow – Aberdeen 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Belfast City 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Edinburgh 6 weekly
London Heathrow – Glasgow 4 weekly
London Heathrow – Isle of Man 7 weekly (operated by Loganair ATR42 for BACityFlyer)
London Heathrow – Manchester 7 weekly