Using A Consolidator

Jamie

I found a site (consolidated-fares.com) for my next trip to BKK. They gave me a "promotional airfare from $630"...whatever that means. They give no details, so you have to call. If anyone has used them before, I would like to know how well they worked for you.

I haven't used that place, but years ago I used to buy all my tickets to Thailand through a similiar place.

They buy large lots of tickets from airlines at big discounts. They then sell them for a small mark-up, but still lower than normal channels sell them for. Normally the companies selling this way don't offer other frills, just the basic ticket.

I used to see lots of ads for these companies in the travel sections, usually on Sundays, in large newspapers in the states.

When contacting them it helps to have an idea of exactly what you want. Dates, etc.

Terry

Terry,

Do you remember if you were able to accumulate frequent flyer miles with these types of discounted tickets? I know that in some cases you can, other times not. I'll probably give them a call soon. I just hope it's not a bait and switch.

Terry,

Do you remember if you were able to accumulate frequent flyer miles with these types of discounted tickets? I know that in some cases you can, other times not. I'll probably give them a call soon. I just hope it's not a bait and switch.

I just bought my tickets through a similar consolidator. After they issue you your tickets you can go to whatever airline's web site they put you on and put in your frequent flyer, choose seat etc. It's the same then as if you bought them from the airline.

I just looked at your consolidator. Beware - the *next to the price says the price is from

"departing the most popular geographic location" They give an example that if you are flying to London the price is from NYC. So it looks like you'll have to figure in a ticket to get wherever they are flying you from.

" * We pride ourselves for being able to service the entire US. And with that, we advertise the lowest possible fare to the destination that we have in our contracts. That fare is for the departure from the closest and most popular geographical departure point to the desired destination. For example, if you have researching a flight to London, the website will display a price from New York."

Thanks Crouton...

Yes, I had looked at that website as well. The price on the website you posted is about $130 more than a consolidator I was talking to in Chicago. I'm still going to contact this other place and see what they have to say, but I can't see their price being close to $400 less than everyone else.

Yes, I used to get frequent flyer miles.

I used to use Korean Airlines a lot. They were cheaper, plus had good connections Seoul to BKK. I recall the layover in Seoul was always very short.

I lived in San Diego, but caught KA out of LA. I would have the consolidator book me SD to BKK. Korean Air had agreements with commuter airlines, going from smaller places to where they flew out of. It was always the same price, no extra charge for the SD to LA portion.

On any flight you'd be amazed at the large number of different prices people have payed for the same class seat.

Terry