Passport Expires after Visa Extension

Hello Guys & Girls a few quick questions. First time I have encountered this, as I am coming up on my tenth Married 'O' Visa extension in a few months. Due to the pandemic the U.S. Embassy is not processing the normal 10 year passports. I was under the belief a visa extension could still be obtained as long the current passport had atleast 6 months until it expires. Then the new passport once obtained is to be taken to Immigration for a visa extension transfer stamp.

I know of people in a similar situations who were told of two different things. The first being, not less than 6 months, on the current passport, then the new passport is to be carried along with the expired one, until it is time to renew again. Both passports are to be presented for 90 Day Reporting, the next 90 Day Report slip would then be placed in the new passport. 

Others on a regular retirement visa extension, have said go back to Immigration before the current passport expires, with the new passport. That if you let the current passport expire, without a new one it makes the visa extension invalid. However if you go back to Immigration with the new passport no problem getting your visa stamped with the same expiry date you had in the old one.

Secondly is it possible to renew a passport directly from the U.S.? Pay the passport fee, pay for secure mail such as FedEx, and have it mailed directly to my residence? If this is possible, then what forms must I submit, where do I find them, and what department do I send it to, and any other details, I may need to know? I haven't tried calling anyone, as I am pretty sure all U.S. Govt. phones lines are swamped. 

I would very much appreciate a quick reply, as we already have enough on all our plates.

Be Safe, & thank you

DP. 

First of all you must order a new passport, from your embassy.

When you get your new passport, you can get all the necassary stamps etc. moved from the old passport to the new passport, at the immigration office, its a simple and quick process without problems.

Just take with the old and the new passport to IO and fill out a form, then the staff do it, with a smile immidiately.

Then your new passport is ready for new visa, stamps etc, and it should not be necassary to go with the old passport more.

I did it at Chiang Mai IO a few month ago.

• Thanks 1

Thanks ubonjoe for the reply. I do get the STEP emails daily, but had the idea, that it was maybe possible go around the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, have the new passport made in the U.S. a mailed directly to me with no involved with them. I now see that is not possible. They must come through the U.S. Embassy.

I must say that's and extreme aggravation. As my passport will expire one month before my current Married 'O' extension does. If you have ever done a Married 'O' visa extension, and go through what we go through here in Pattaya you'd know what I'm talking about. 

I was trying to avoid getting the one year passport, then doing it again when things get back to normal. Hopefully they will. My current passport expires Sept. 5, 2021, my current visa extension expires Oct 25. 2021. I was in the mind set that there would be an Embassy Outreach as usual in June 2021, renew my passport then, and have it back before my current one expires.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how this all plays out. The way I see it now, is apply for the one year passport sometime in early spring so that it covers my visa extension date, then do whatever is necessary after that to get a 10 year passport, then take that back to Immigration. Would that be the the safest bet? 

Thanks Again.

DP.      

Thanks finnsk for your reply. I'm sure we all would have made plans, had we known the situation now. The U.S. Embassy is not currently processing passport renewals, they are but good only for 1 year, as they and ubonjoe stated. Even if I could it now, it would make no sense in my mind to renew my passport, with 15 months still good. I am looking far ahead to be prepared for may come in the future.

Thanks.

DP.  

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Dillpickles98 said:

My current passport expires Sept. 5, 2021, my current visa extension expires Oct 25. 2021.

I think you got you years wrong (2020?). I think you will be able to get one before your extension is due.

I got my last one 9 months early before they had mail in requests so I could apply for it in one trip to Bangkok and the pick it up when I got a income affidavit.

Glad that I do not have to the annual trips to Bangkok any more for the affidavit. Used transfers into the country last year and this year I will be ready to do it again.

• Like 1

Hi ubonjoe, no those dates are correct, Oct. 25, 2020 thru Oct 24, 2021 for visa extension, passport expiry Sept. 5, 2021. Just getting the info I may need in advance, your knowledge was much appreciated.

When I got my current passport I did it at the Embassy Outreach here in Pattaya, I think they punched a hole it, gave it back then the new one came in the mail, no trip to Bangkok necessary. My visa anniversary was originally Aug. 25Th  Since my passport was valid at the time of August 25, they said just carry them both, they didn't want to bother with transfering the stamp, but said bring both for 90 day reporting, they put the new 90 day slip in the new passport. I never carry my passport a copy with my Thai DL

At that time my visa anniversary date was August 25Th. But they put us through so much trouble, had to get first a 1 month extension, then again a 2 month extension. We have 4 bank accounts, our joint account being the primary. They said that's only half your money in a joint account, they wouldn't even look at my retirement income amount, or wire transfers. Until now I tried to avoid the FBAR filing by staying under $10,000 in combined accounts. I transfered $15,000 to my personal account, but it came Aug. 27Th, that made me 2 days overstay, paid the fine. then they extended me for 60 days, but made a temporary visa stamp up to Oct. 25Th to make sure I still had the money in my account and had activity to prove it was mine.

We went back on Oct 25Th they said the 60 day temporary visa takes priority over the extension stamp, and we had to come back on Oct. 27TH which made me 2 days overstay again. Paid that fine, and was give my 1 year extension.

So to avoid this proving of monthly income I just keep the full amount here. As a moderator I sure you remember when in April 2019 Bangkok Bank said they would not be accepting transfer unless in IAT ACH protocols, which no U.S. bank has enforced, I wrote a thread about how my bank, a federal credit union for state and city employees' and retirees was still processing them.

I took a lot of heat from people, but my transfers kept coming until Dec.2, 2019 then rejected. Though my banks I.T. guy whom I know very well assured me they were sending it in the IAT ACH protocols, I called Bangkok Bank New York, only to find out they were not. The transmittal sheet must show my name, and address in IAT ACH, they had been only showing my name.

Ok, so I went back to the thread, and posted I must have slipped through the cracks. It was due to take effect April 30Th, mine kept on coming until Dec. then rejected.

But I found an alternative. Navy Federal Credit Union, open to all active duty, retirees, veterans, and the Dept of Defense. Serving 8 million U.S citizens world wide, phone service 24/7 including holidays, with just a phone call I can have Funds here in 4 hrs. directly in my BKK bank account, my wife can even ask for a Thai translator. Through Wells Fargo the fee is $25.00 up to a max of $10,000 USD a day. I always must have a plan 'B' so now we have what's called a CUCARD CARD for atm use which we don't use, a debit card for purchases and withdrawals inside the bank, and their credit card. I still keep my Los Angeles Bank account open, as well. 

Anything else you can help me I'll look for you here, Thanks again.

DP.      

13 minutes ago, Dillpickles98 said:

Hi ubonjoe, no those dates are correct, Oct. 25, 2020 thru Oct 24, 2021 for visa extension, passport expiry Sept. 5, 2021. Just getting the info I may need in advance, your knowledge was much appreciated.

You will not have 12 months of passport validity when you  apply this year unless you get a new passport before you apply.

You would only lose about a month and half of the normal one year extension. You will have to decide if it is worth getting a new passport this year.

I think by August you should be able to apply for a new passport.

Outreaches are not being done anymore so you will have to apply by mail or in person and have it mailed to you.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not have 12 months of passport validity when you  apply this year unless you get a new passport before you apply.

You would only lose about a month and half of the normal one year extension. You will have to decide if it is worth getting a new passport this year.

I think by August you should be able to apply for a new passport.

Outreaches are not being done anymore so you will have to apply by mail or in person and have it mailed to you.

I don't understand what the problem is if everything is happening in 2021, you have a year and a half to sort this out, also I just don't understand how you can have a permission to stay until October of next year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flexomike said:

I don't understand what the problem is if everything is happening in 2021

His passport expires before his extension in 2021 which means he will not have 12 months of passport validity this year.

• Like 1

Hi ubonjoe, I won't have any validity left,  it expires before OCT. 25,2021. Just what I was thinking,  no point in doing anything before next summer. I think the embassy said it takes about 6 weeks in total by mail both ways? I hate going there, so I'll make a note to have things ready to mail by June or July. loss of a few months means little me, just as long as I'm above board. I always do my 90 day early.

That sucks, no more Outreach, atleast after this I won't have any need for the Embassy for 10 yrs more.

DP.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dillpickles98 said:

Hi ubonjoe, I won't have any validity left,  it expires before OCT. 25,2021. Just what I was thinking,  no point in doing anything before next summer. I think the embassy said it takes about 6 weeks in total by mail both ways? I hate going there, so I'll make a note to have things ready to mail by June or July. loss of a few months means little me, just as long as I'm above board. I always do my 90 day early.

When you apply for the extension this year will only be done to September 5th of 2021.

Recent reports of it taking a little more than 2 weeks got get a new  passport by mail on average. I would not venture to guess for next year.

I suggest getting a new passport at least 6 months before your passport expires due to many countries requiring 6 months of validity to enter.

That stopped the outreaches when they stopped doing income affidavits since that was what most people went to them for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When you apply for the extension this year will only be done to September 5th of 2021.

Recent reports of it taking a little more than 2 weeks got get a new  passport by mail on average. I would not venture to guess for next year.

Hi ubonjoe, Why would I do that? My current passport is valid until September 5 , 2021. What has been discussed leads me to believe I should just renew by mail 6 months prior to September 5, 2021. Then receive a new passport from whatever they date they make it, good until 2031. I can't have two valid passports at the same time.

I do remember now the last outreach was in 2018. Since I haven't needed the Embassy for anything else there was no reason to even check that they had stopped.

DP.  

4 minutes ago, Dillpickles98 said:

Hi ubonjoe, Why would I do that? My current passport is valid until September 5 , 2021. What has been discussed leads me to believe I should just renew by mail 6 months prior to September 5, 2021. Then receive a new passport from whatever they date they make it, good until 2031. I can't have two valid passports at the same time.

As I wrote before September 5th of 2021 will be less than 12 months of validity remaining on your passport when you apply for your extension that ends on October 25th of this year. That is how it has been since 2013.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe sorry about the miscommunication. It seems this whole thread was about miscommunication. I and my buddy were reading too much into the Embassy emails, and the PCEC newsletter. Not that there was anything in error, just a bit unclear. This is only the second time in 5 passports I have had renew outside the U.S. this current situation about what the Embassy can, and won't do a bit confusing to me, since it was no issue last time. 

I'll mail my renewal in as prescribed on the U.S. Embassy website, with appropriate form, photo, and bank drafts, 6 months prior to it's expiration. Which should be a year from last month. I am told now that when I receive the new, and old passports, it will be accompanied by a Embassy letter requesting a visa extension stamp update to the new passport. 

DP.