non-o to non-b or extension based on teaching?

I have/had a non-o ME [thai-spouse] that is now expired as of January, I exited and got the final 90 day stamp [april 15] and am now on a 60-day extension based on thai family which will take me til June 12. - I planned to go to HCMC last month right before everything went out the door, to get a new Non-O, but flights got cancelled so that's why I needed to get the 60 day extension. 

I hold a work permit for teaching in a language school. Is it possible to switch from a non-o to a non-b in country? Or is it possible to get a 1 year extension based on teaching, off of the current status of my non-o? I do not have the finances for the 1 year extension based on marriage [40k monthly or 400k seasoned].

trying to think of my options if things are not cleared up by June and I cant get out to get a new visa. I do not mind having a non-o ME based on marriage with a WP, but as this whole situation has shown, it is a pretty weak visa status for the long run and I'm willing to now switch to a non-b so i don't need to leave the country. 

thanks for the help.

You would not be able to change your visa category from a non-o to a non-b visa.

You though could apply for a extension of stay based upon teaching of the non-o visa entry you have extended for 60 days.

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not be able to change your visa category from a non-o to a non-b visa.

You though could apply for a extension of stay based upon teaching of the non-o visa entry you have extended for 60 days.

If he makes less than 40K a month?

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Okay thanks. And if I were to extend based on teaching for a year, could I leave the country and come back as long as I get a re entry permit at the airport or wherever? 

9 hours ago, homemade514 said:

Okay thanks. And if I were to extend based on teaching for a year, could I leave the country and come back as long as I get a re entry permit at the airport or wherever? 

Yes

Yes you can make the switch in the country at your immigration office. My wife died several months ago and I made the switch after the death of my wife. I waited until my Non-Imm O permission to stay ended before asking immigration for an extension of stay based on working as a teacher. I needed all the supporting paperwork from the school (government secondary school in my case). I also already had a work permit for working at the school, because I had obtained one previously while working as a teacher while my wife was still alive and while I was using my Non-imm O permission to stay.  A Thai teacher from the school also came along and supported me by doing a lot of the talking with immigration.

18 hours ago, White Tiger said:

Yes you can make the switch in the country at your immigration office. My wife died several months ago and I made the switch after the death of my wife. I waited until my Non-Imm O permission to stay ended before asking immigration for an extension of stay based on working as a teacher. I needed all the supporting paperwork from the school (government secondary school in my case). I also already had a work permit for working at the school, because I had obtained one previously while working as a teacher while my wife was still alive and while I was using my Non-imm O permission to stay.  A Thai teacher from the school also came along and supported me by doing a lot of the talking with immigration.

i am sorry to hear about your wife. thank you for the advice.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:47 PM, FritsSikkink said:

If he makes less than 40K a month?

For a non-b extension - yes, you can get it w/ under 40K.  Not sure if they won't disqualify the non-o based on Thai-family if under 40K/mo, though.  I would bet money they will at many offices.  They Actively-Hate providing family extensions at many offices.

Also, if extending non-o based on INCOME, vs 400K in the bank, expect that you will need to provide most of the same thick-stack of documents needed to support the work-permit application at the Dept of Labor, plus pictures "at the workplace" with staff in and out-front of the office, plus a bank-statement showing the money coming in - as well as the documents for the family-based extension. 

Edited by JackThompson

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2020 at 4:06 PM, ubonjoe said:

do you know the requirements for the extension of stay based on teaching? my school manager and I are going to go to immigration on friday to try and obtain this extension. 

as a reminder, i want to apply for this extension based on teaching from the non-o ME [thai spouse] i have that is now expired. i am currently here on a 60day extension based on thai family [expires june 12] - but i believe falls under the amnesty til july 31. ---- additionally if it matters.... i already have a WP for this school i teach at that is valid for another 2 years [not from a non-b visa, but from my non-o ME based on thai spouse]

Edited by homemade514
adding info

9 minutes ago, homemade514 said:

do you know the requirements for the extension of stay based on teaching? my school manager and I are going to go to immigration on friday to try and obtain this extension. 

General requirements for government school is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_6

For a private school here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_7

You can apply for the extension with a 60 day extension of the 90 day entry from your non-o visa. 

just to update:

i went to chiang rai immigration on friday and was denied the extension based on teaching, off of my non-o [based on spouse].

the reasoning was that since i have the non-o in my passport, i need to have the financial requirements for that visa [40k/month 1 year or 400k seasoned 2 months], neither of which i have. so my only choice now is to wait until the amnesty is over, go apply for a new non-o or a non-b and hopefully there wont be ridiculous requirements for re-entry into thailand [i already have a work permit]

thanks for the help anyway.