How dynamic are dynamic IP Addresses from Thai ISPs?

OneMoreFarang

I am checking remote internet traffic from people who work at home.

It seems some users have a new IP address (dynamically assigned from their ISP) every day and sometimes several times per day.

Other users, who in theory have a dynamic IP address, have constantly the same IP address over many days (and maybe longer).

Does anybody of you know how dynamic IP addresses are assigned from Thai IPSs?

Are there some ISPs who basically never change the IP address and others change them regularly?

Or do some people switch off their internet connection (modem, router) and then, maybe after hours or days, get a new IP address?

For clarification: I know how DHCP servers work and how dynamic IP addresses are assigned. And I know it's a question of the configuration how long devices will keep their IP address. This is what this is about. How are Thai ISPs DHCP servers configured?

As johng says for TOT Fibre it is every day. The connection is reset by TOT precisely 24 hours after the last time an IP address was assigned meaning that if your router is reset at e.g. 1400hrs then tomorrow at 1359hrs, 59sec your connection is reset by TOT. That can cause some kinds of internet traffic to drop the connection so can be annoying.

I have been able to get around that issue somewhat by setting a CRON job on my router to reboot at 0300hrs every day so unless there is something like a power cut, the router will keep that IP address until 0300hrs the following morning.

Edited by thedemon
  • Like 1

Unless you have an internet package which offers you a personal public ipv4 address you share your public ipv4 address with many other people. So you it could happen that you notice different people logging in from different places with the same ipv4 address.

I'm using the AIS fibre esports package. My router says that my connection is up since 8 days (so no ip change in this time), while my router is up since 31 days. I don't know why the router had to reconnect 8 days ago. If i click reconnect in most cases i get a new ip address.

I have packages from 3 separate providers, CAT, ToT, and 3bb. . .

• CAT updates the dynamically assigned IP every 24 hours, or when the consumer reconnects, whichever comes first. If the consumer does it first, the 24 hours is reset CAT side
  • 3bb lets the dynamic IP stick for days, even when the consumer reboots router or reconnects.
  • ToT give us a block of 5 static IPs ($$$$$!!!), so I don't know what they currently do with dynamic assignment.

Bear in mind different regions may have different assignment policies for each ISP.

21 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Unless you have an internet package which offers you a personal public ipv4 address you share your public ipv4 address with many other people. So you it could happen that you notice different people logging in from different places with the same ipv4 address.

What you describe is called Carrier Grade NAT. The end user wouldn't notice anything different with the assigned public IP when visiting a "What's my IP" type service, even though many people are sharing it.

Full disclosure: I'm an IT consultant

Edited by NilSS