Macbook Air/iPad Thai keyboards totally different

dundas

I have a MacBook Air bought in Thailand three years ago, with a Thai language keyboard. More recently I've bought an iPad7 but the Thai keyboard that Apple supplies (or any other I can see in the App store) has a totally different configuration. 

Over the last year I have used the MacBook Air to teach myself how to touch type in Thai. Now that I've reached the stage of having muscle memory embedded in the hands (I no longer have to think about where characters are on the keyboard),  If I start to use the Thai keyboard on the iPad I will have to unlearn where everything is, and start from the beginning, and if I move between the two, it's going to be on-going confusion. 

Does anyone have a solution for this? What I would like is a Thai keyboard on the iPad that most closely resembles the keyboard on my MacBook Air. The attachment is an image of my MacBook keyboard.  

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 1.00.57 pm.png

Just clutching at straws, I noticed there are two different Thai keyboards available on my MacBook Pro. kedmanee and pattachote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Kedmanee_keyboard_layout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Pattachote_keyboard_layout

Take a look, your keyboard mapping shows pattachote, there doesn’t seem to be a function to set the iPad keyboard, it’s just “Thai”

6 hours ago, timendres said:

I have used MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Macbook, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 11, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPad mini.

None of them has a keyboard that looks like the one above.

That's what came with the product when I bought it from an Apple shop in Chiang Mai! Thanks for letting me know. 

11 hours ago, recom273 said:

Just clutching at straws, I noticed there are two different Thai keyboards available on my MacBook Pro. kedmanee and pattachote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Kedmanee_keyboard_layout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Pattachote_keyboard_layout

Take a look, your keyboard mapping shows pattachote, there doesn’t seem to be a function to set the iPad keyboard, it’s just “Thai”

Thanks for this. I looked up Pattachote and received an education. Pattachote is the newer keyboard, developed  in the interests of time/motion efficiency  and Kedmanee is the older version – supposedly more time consuming to use but still the more popular one. Once I knew that there was no easy solution to this, I called Apple, who are refunding me the purchase price of the iPad. I'll buy a new MacBook Air when this one finally expires, and I'll make sure it has Pattachote as the keyboard layout. Thanks again.  

2 hours ago, dundas said:

Thanks for this. I looked up Pattachote and received an education. Pattachote is the newer keyboard, developed  in the interests of time/motion efficiency  and Kedmanee is the older version – supposedly more time consuming to use but still the more popular one. Once I knew that there was no easy solution to this, I called Apple, who are refunding me the purchase price of the iPad. I'll buy a new MacBook Air when this one finally expires, and I'll make sure it has Pattachote as the keyboard layout. Thanks again.  

I have a a Thai MacBook and an iPad Air, it has physical kedmanee keyboard fitted, but before, I had both keyboards on my MacBook toggled to the Cap Lock key, you can do this in language preferences, and changed them as and when (I couldn’t find the right character).

If you learned pattachote, then it might not have been the best start, but if you are happy with the final outcome, that’s the important thing. 

Can you confirm that you have a physical Pattachote keyboard on your macbook, not just the key mapping in software? has the previous owner stuck on the thai stickers or get it lasered on themselves? cause if they just swap the keys around the roman lettering would be in the wrong place too.

For iOs device, you can search for Thai keyboard app with Pattachote layout 

On 4/15/2020 at 6:34 PM, digbeth said:

Can you confirm that you have a physical Pattachote keyboard on your macbook, not just the key mapping in software? has the previous owner stuck on the thai stickers or get it lasered on themselves? cause if they just swap the keys around the roman lettering would be in the wrong place too.

For iOs device, you can search for Thai keyboard app with Pattachote layout 

It's the standard laptop's keyboard so it's what came with the computer when I bought it in Chiang Mai. No stickers on the keys.  It doesn't show the Thai characters on the keyboard, just the English ones. I think I was given the choice of whether I wanted an English or Thai keys when I bought it and I went for English.  It's virtual software, but it's exactly what Apple supplied. I've searched for Pattachote layout for the iPad, but didn't get very far. Buying a new MacBook Air or a new iPad was a difficult decision for me when I went for the iPad; now that I've played with it a bit, I'm happy to send it back and get another MacBook Air. 

Edited by dundas

On 4/15/2020 at 5:09 PM, timendres said:

Interestingly, when I showed the Pattachote keyboard to my Thai employee, his response was "That is unusable". 555

Yep, I can understand that totally. It's what you're used to and what you're used to is probably what you've learnt on and forgotten about -- until confronted with a different layout.