good bad ugly & future for thailand/pattaya

nomad2019

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

the jams are caused by locals ( most tourists are not driving around Pattaya ), and they ain't going away.

Mind you, if the number of baht buses were halved it might help.

the locals arent going to work and arent going out on party,

in my entire time here the roads have always been jammed day time,

now its a desolate place

22 hours ago, Don Mega said:

His beer should be Pattaya market price, not Phuket or Bangkok.

He's been a leader of the GBO movement for a few years now though......... good luck to him, punter will vote with their feet though.

It's not uncommon for a bar owner here to have competitive prices, only to have his rent increased, significantly, by a greedy Thai landlord, which is then passed onto the consumer, and now his prices are not competitive, and in many cases, the bar closes or moves, not long after.  

Higher prices are not always the fault of the bar owner.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Do the venues reopen before customers start to return, or are tourist likely to come without an entertainment industry to avail themselves of. Place might be a bit like it was in the 80s for a spell! Great!

That's a "chicken and egg" scenario.

What tourists, even sex tourists, are going to come here whilst the place is not fully operational, and what bar / restaurant / nightclub / gogo owner is going to open, and run at a loss, until the tourists come back?

It's one thing to be allowed to open, it's another thing to remain open without customers walking through your doors.

Then, you have potential tourists that would normally be holidaying in Pattaya over the next few months, unable to get out of their country, or get a flight. 

The establishments that were favored by expats will be the only ones doing well when businesses are allowed to open.  The others may remain closed until tourists can get out of their country, and planes start flying again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It's not uncommon for a bar owner here to have competitive prices, only to have his rent increased, significantly, by a greedy Thai landlord, which is then passed onto the consumer, and now his prices are not competitive, and in many cases, the bar closes or moves, not long after.  

Higher prices are not always the fault of the bar owner.

Whilst I agree on point, this particular bar owner has for years in his own forum declared how this (insert current month) has been the best month for turnover since opening, A record month !!...... rinse and repeat every single month..

He had a record night last week................ many pics posted......... total of 6 guys in every pic and it was the same 6 guys !!

32 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Whilst I agree on point, this particular bar owner has for years in his own forum declared how this (insert current month) has been the best month for turnover since opening, A record month !!...... rinse and repeat every single month..

He had a record night last week................ many pics posted......... total of 6 guys in every pic and it was the same 6 guys !!

I was speaking in general, of bars here.

I've never met a bar owner who admitted to running at a loss, or going broke, but I have seen a lot of them go back to their country, never to be seen here again.  ????

With no tourists coming back here any time soon, 6 expats in your bar would be a busy night.  Help minimize the losses, if one wished to remain open.  ????

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I was speaking in general, of bars here.

I've never met a bar owner who admitted to running at a loss, or going broke, but I have seen a lot of them go back to their country, never to be seen here again.  ????

With no tourists coming back here any time soon, 6 expats in your bar would be a busy night.  Help minimize the losses, if one wished to remain open.  ????

Be interesting to see how nightwish weather the storm !!

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Nightwish operates 28 bars on Soi 6 according to their instagram page.

If they rent, they may be in serious debt, but will likely re-open if owners allow them some time to pay back

10 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Even if The Nightwish Group can "hang in there" it will be a long time paying off losses incurred, before it can return to even being close to making a profit. 

Western tourists were way down before the Corona Virus came along.    

6 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

If they rent, they may be in serious debt, but will likely re-open if owners allow them some time to pay back

I assume the drug cartels will still need to launder money.

In which case many clubs/restaurants/shopping malls/opticians will remain open even if there are no 'real' customers.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Some owners might like to make a grab for some key money, and not allow any time to pay.  

They can open up all their bars when the lock down has finished, but they will be all running at a loss until this crisis is over, globally.  

if they decide to stay in the game, it may be the case that they open just a few of their bars that will be busy with what customers are around, and keep the rest closed, so to minimized losses.  

Whatever happens, and whatever their management decides, there's some big losses on the horizon.   

On April 17, 2020 at 7:18 AM, Leaver said:

Not this time.

The venues will remain closed, and up for sale, or for rent.  Some may never open again as hospitality establishments.  

Perhaps the new avenue mall establishment will really take off now that, this has happened. How is the project going???? Have they sold all the spaces? 

On 4/16/2020 at 1:46 PM, Jip99 said:

..... and yet 8,413,413 people voted for him........ you can probably exclude most of them from your uprising.

As the voting population of Thailand is a bit over 51 million, that's 16% of the vote - hardly what I would call a ringing endorsement. More showing how rigged the election was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was talking about when things go back to "normal", not now.

i nurse a hope for a downsized pattaya if and when this particular virus

becomes less of a topic then HIV and a load of other viral viruses

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

As the voting population of Thailand is a bit over 51 million, that's 16% of the vote - hardly what I would call a ringing endorsement. More showing how rigged the election was.

You will make whatever assumptions suit your agenda. 

33 minutes ago, gargamon said:

You are all talking about how bad it is, the bars, etc are closed, there's no tourists, etc. The real worry is being ignored. You have many many Thais now with no work/money. They need to feed their families. Crime will be a major problem, people will be robbed, cars/motorcycles will be stolen, houses will be broken into, etc.

Watch your back, stay safe.

Many here were saying this on March 18, when the "shutdown" of the bars and massage parlors occurred.  Still waiting, 32 days now and counting.  Soi dogs are the only ones being more aggressive so far around where I live. haha

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Perhaps the new avenue mall establishment will really take off now that, this has happened. How is the project going???? Have they sold all the spaces? 

That project was never going to happen.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Many here were saying this on March 18, when the "shutdown" of the bars and massage parlors occurred.  Still waiting, 32 days now and counting.  Soi dogs are the only ones being more aggressive so far around where I live. haha

Two houses in Ao Yon, Phuket, were broken in several days ago, and it’s a pretty safe area. 

On 4/19/2020 at 12:42 PM, Skallywag said:

Give it time.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:42 AM, Skallywag said:

I'm sure crime robberies/burglaries will increase in Thailand if poor Thai can't work and feed their families. The reason why gun sales in the US are going thru the roof is that a lot of people who used to laugh at the preppers/survivalists who have always had stockpiles and guns to protect them now realise that the Apocalips can happen so now they are stock piling supplies (panic buying ) and buying guns to protect them.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:05 AM, gargamon said:

You are all talking about how bad it is, the bars, etc are closed, there's no tourists, etc. The real worry is being ignored. You have many many Thais now with no work/money. They need to feed their families. Crime will be a major problem, people will be robbed, cars/motorcycles will be stolen, houses will be broken into, etc.

Watch your back, stay safe.

It could go from petty crimes, to violent crime, and even roiting and looting, and possible civil unrest. 

A lot will depend on what government assistance is available, but I suspect there will be very little. 

Then, you have those Thai's that must feed their addictions.   

History shows, in harsh economic times, crime rises. 

• Like 1