Bratislava: The Capital of Slovakia The beauty on the Danube

snoop1130

Bratislava: The Capital of Slovakia The beauty on the Danube

by Kathleen Pokrud

Photo-4.jpg

Slovakia is a small country located in the middle of Europe not very well known in Thailand.  So it was a very good news for me to learn that Kathleen Pokrud together with her husband visited my home country. My pleasure was enhanced, when she informed me that she had written an article about her short trip to Slovakia and about her impressions of our country for Expat Life in Thailand. Unfortunately, due to the lack of time she only visited the capital city Bratislava, which is one of Europe´s youngest capitals although its history goes back thousands of years.

But Slovakia has much more to offer each and every visitor. Along with the many tourist attractions and opportunities to unwind, relax or set out on an adventure, it truly is a natural meeting point. And all this is to be found concentrated in one small area.

I am convinced that as you spent more time here than Kathy and her friends and that you will inevitably succumb to our country´s charm. Please take time out to visit our breathtaking mountains and national parks. Explore at least one of our numerous large caves, dozens of picturesque, historic town centres or healing spas famed for their beneficial effects. Spend the day at one of our highly equipped ski resorts or world class golf courses. Then you can decide which appeals more to you most. The vibe of the capital city of Bratislava or the unique folk architecture of the countryside. In either case, I am sure that you will be disappointed.  

Readers of Expat Life, explore the best of Slovakia, get to know her wonderful people and make sure you do not miss out on a single natural attraction… except perhaps the sea…

I hope that you enjoy reading!

H.E. Mr. Stanislav Opiela

Ambassador of Slovakia to the Kingdom of Thailand

On planning our Eastern Europe trip, Budapest and Prague were the major cities on our list. As I researched on the map, Slovakia is borderered between Hungary and the Czech Republic, with its capital “Bratislava” which I couldn’t pronounce properly the first time. It made sense to stop over for a two nights stay, and we never regretted a moment of it. Established for only a short span of 27 years, the landlocked country Slovakia is officially known as The Slovak Republic. Bratislava is a city of half a million inhabitants, often refers as the Beauty on the Danube. It lies in the north by the confluence of the Morava River with the mighty Danube, and in the south by the fertile valleys of the Rye Island. Bratislava is uniquely positioned in the immediate vicinity of the border of two neighbouring countries – Hungary and Austria.

With the historical background under the rule of the Hungarian empire, Bratislava entwines part of its history with Budapest. It also serves as a younger version of the more prominent cities like Prague and Vienna. Nevertheless, many modern travellers like me fall in love with this romantic city with its architectural grandiose, fascinating museums, and elaborate old houses.

When I walked around Bratislava, I could feel the local Slovak charm by seeing mostly local residents, which is unequivocally not the case in Budapest, Prague and Vienna, when one can encounter foreign tourists everywhere. I found the city vibrant and dynamic. I was delighted with the size of Bratislava and its allurement. Sometimes, the appeal of a city is lost when it is overcrowded with tourists.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/featured/bratislava-the-capital-of-slovakia-the-beauty-on-the-danube/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand