It's great to be back in the Land of Reasonably Priced Wine

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And have to pay a woman your house and half your assets to sleep with you, rather than the 1,000bht it costs in Thailand.

are you getting special rebates.... lucky you

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

He gets a discount as hansum man.

A rebate is something given back after you have purchased something. Never known any woman to do that.

incentives and rebates are programs offered to consumers/buyers to stimulate sales, discounts usually offer after purchase has been made, but we don't have to agree

3 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

It really is time for non-Thai governments to start reciprocating with equitable  import duties on Thai products. This may convince Thais to be a bit more reasonable than what they are now.

Thais dont make cheese for example , so its not valid to  reason a tax or duty  is needed to protect a local industry.

Thais do make a questionable wine - and that is their argument for what , 230% taxes ?

Theres loads of other things taxed to the max - and it seems the only criteria has to be simply whether farangs like the product more than Thai do.

I looked at a Salsa Dip yesterday at Big C .

The small  jar cost 170 baht , on special from 190.

Im sorry , but $9.50 , or even $8.50 aud for a jar of sauce made from blended tomato , onion and chilli , and costing $1.99 aud back home , is simply having a lend.

you could hire a Thai to make it for you for less.

21 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

California Merlot, 82 Baht a bottle.

OK, drinking alcohol is bad for your immune system.

But a glass per week ain't gonna hurt much. ????

USA USA USA!!!

I just looked it up; 64.28 baht a bottle (US$1.98),

Buddy you got robbed!

I love a good cheap red much as anyone, but can't drink that swill. In The States one can get Berringer, Woodbridge, Jacob's Creek, Lindemans, Yellowtail, Cocobon an others for $5-$7. Do yourself a favor and pony up a couple extra bucks. You'll be glad you did! ????

On 4/17/2020 at 5:26 AM, baansgr said:

But have to pay $10 for food to make the meal you eat rather than the $1.50 it does in Thailand

Its all a bit strange to me. Expats paying 40 baht for a mountain of boiled rice topped with an egg with a generous squirt of fish sauce and call that food.

With my good quality table wine in oz I can buy a good chunk of great quality cheese, crackers,olives and a  selection of deli meats and cheap crusty real sugar free bread that will last several days for 15 bucks. cheap <deleted> food from the markets here in little plastic bags doesnt go with red wine,none of it!