First Songkran

Loz

It was also my first songkran, i have to admit all my preconceptions were wrong.

It was a great time. I rode around in the back of a pickup truck all day with my wifes family, throwing water all of the place.

The best part was that they sell these massive lumps of ice on the street so that you can get your water totally freezing before you dump a bucket over an unsuspecting passer by.

It seemed like EVERYONE was in on the action.

What most surpised me was the restraint that people seemed to have. Some things that i was sure would have (in my Western mindset):

- People throwing lumps of ice

- People throwing water into eletrical stuff and laughing as it blows up.

- People mixing some nasty stuff into their water

- People doing their best to cause as much expensive property damage as possible

- List goes on of all the thing i'm sure would have happened back home...

But yet none of these kind of things even looked close to happening. Everyone just seemed to be having a good time, and using a lot of common sense.

Yesterday I was on Sukhumvit - it's fun to play with some shop owners and girls coming from job :o

For day time you can try go to Kao san road - but too late for this year - try next one.

For night time Patpong looks good, I played until 5am 2 nights ago.. was also fun.

Of course the best clothes are: swimming shorts, copied soccer shirt from Pratunam (it's dry very fast - especially Italy), and that's absolutely all!! If u need telephone, money or anything else be sure u protect it from water. Water bag is the best choice but using multiple plastic bags is not much worse.

Have fun :D

Let's face it, this thread is not about Brits, it is about the farking English. Scots, Oirish and the (magnificent) Welsh are all good :D

Yea mate, most farking Brits are alrite wunce ya get talkin' to em like, know what I mean Harry ?

But.....The dress sense lets them down, I mean c'mon......Vicky Pollard is a trend setter in England, Vicky bleedin' Pollard for christs sake............... :o

and dont forget chubby brown ,you fat b@stard !

Its my first Songkran too since moving here last year.

Never wanted to be here for the idiocy in past years and found out why this morning when some Thai cretin thought it was a good idea to hurl a bucket of water in my face as I was riding my motorcycle. Knocked a 200 quid(14k Baht) pair of sunglasses off, they have my prescription built in and smashed them.

Ha bloody ha.

When is Songkran next year? Think I will make a visa run next one.

One year from today :D

What kind of fool would wear such glasses on Songkran, on a bike?:o

The kind of fool, as you so nicely call him, that wears 'prescription' shades

Its my first Songkran too since moving here last year.

Never wanted to be here for the idiocy in past years and found out why this morning when some Thai cretin thought it was a good idea to hurl a bucket of water in my face as I was riding my motorcycle. Knocked a 200 quid(14k Baht) pair of sunglasses off, they have my prescription built in and smashed them.

Ha bloody ha.

When is Songkran next year? Think I will make a visa run next one.

One year from today :D

What kind of fool would wear such glasses on Songkran, on a bike?:o

The kind of fool, as you so nicely call him, that wears 'prescription' shades

Edwinchester, your not a fool for wearing protective and necessary eyewear. You have my sympathy.

Shame some of the more moronic water throwers cant be a little more sensible and chuck it somewhere the consequences may be a little less or potentially less catastrophic.

If its any consolation I bought a really nice pair of prescription sunglasses in Top Charoen for a 'shade' over 3k Bht.

Andy.

Well, there was no Len Nam on the Golf course this morning. I spoiled another good walk with a couple of professional golfers and even took a hole off them both! Now I am sore, my side aches, I need a shower and then its back into the foray. I think I will drive into town and then with my water canon at the ready I will get utterly soaked again!

I was unsure at first but now I can see its the best way to stay cool on a hot day and when everyone's wet who cares how wet you get! Funny how so many things can become normal when enough people show you its okay. I'll never forget that first blast of water down my back, and the fact I just sat their soaking it up thinking, "okay I soaked to my pants, what is the big deal?" Another breakthrough.

Next year I will particpate more. I slept through most of yesterday... tired from traveling.