First Songkran

Loz

So last night I am sat people watching (or rather gazing in wonderment! ) Off Sukumvit from the corner of a bar and the water fun begins. At first I try and dodge a little over spray. Seems only natural. Then I get this big jet of water on my spine running down my back into my kecks and I know I soaked.

The funny thing is any other time or place this would be arkward. But once again Thailand reveals another mystery to me. When everyone is at it, it doesn't matter! I love this land for the uninhibited way people go about their business.

After a few more splashes I added to someones new year bonus and bought a sizable weapon (loaded of course!) and took up my post. Funny how much less attractive you are as an "armed" target! :o

Anyway, then this guy starts going mental at some folk who've thrown powder and water at him. He picks up a clothes rack to hit them with, he's clearly gone loco!! He is restrained and calmed but the sad sad lesson I took from this came from the antipodean voice right behind me that said, "20 bucks he's a brit!". I wanted to shoot my load all over this kid (I mean the water pistol, of course!) but the fact remained that "We" brits appear to have a somewhat lack-lustre reputation...

I continued to play and joined in a few soakings! Went home damp and happy. Ready to play again today!

My first Songkran started well. Just one more reason to Love LOS.

, "20 bucks he's a brit!". I wanted to shoot my load all over this kid (I mean the water pistol, of course!) but the fact remained that "We" brits appear to have a somewhat lack-lustre reputation...

This is true, it's mainly the brits who get violent when on holiday, I dunno what it is, you can always tell the Brits, tattoos, skinhead haircuts and a complete lack of dress sense are common factors in recognising a Brit.

Shame really that they are so insecure in a foreign enviroment, most are good guys when you get talking to them.

Edited by Maigo6

, "20 bucks he's a brit!". I wanted to shoot my load all over this kid (I mean the water pistol, of course!) but the fact remained that "We" brits appear to have a somewhat lack-lustre reputation...

This is true, it's mainly the brits who get violent when on holiday, I dunno what it is, you can always tell the Brits, tattoos, skinhead haircuts and a complete lack of dress sense are common factors in recognising a Brit.

Shame really that they are so insecure in a foreign enviroment, most are good guys when you get talking to them.

What total rubbish! What coner of the planet do you come from? maybe la la land?

So last night I am sat people watching (or rather gazing in wonderment! ) Off Sukumvit from the corner of a bar and the water fun begins...

...Anyway, then this guy starts going mental at some folk who've thrown powder and water at him...

It's understood that 'playing water' during Songkran is during daylight hours only. Those out in the day understand the risks. But, after the sun sets, you can dress, carry handphones, etc, as you wish, knowing the fun won't start again until the next day.

The fact that a whole country can go from 'Wild Celebrating' to 'business as usual' in the instance of a sunset is another amazing thing to love about Thailand :D

Although, some may say the Farang should have kept his cool, he wasn't the one at fault.

My Thai friends will actually encourage me to Not Keep my cool in situations like this. After learning to 'jai yen yen', they're now telling me when it's appropriate (and even necessary) to do the opposite.

Back to Songkran... being your first...

Enjoy!

but play nice too :o

What total rubbish! What coner of the planet do you come from? maybe la la land?

What part was rubbish ?

Tattoos? Skinhead haircut ? Dress sense ?

C'mon mate, you gotta be havin' a larf ain't ya ?

Sorry my mistake i forgot they only have tattoo's in Britian and head shavers. You really never see that any where else do you? as for derss sense whats that then Fred perry, Ted baker or maybe Paul smith, any idears?

So where are you from then?

Fred perry, Ted baker or maybe Paul smith, any idears?

When I say dress sense, I mean classy well cut clothes...............

.................not some polo shirt that was made in China for 50p and sold to some chav for 79.99 in his mums Littlewoods catalogue ! :o

Edited by Maigo6

Fred perry, Ted baker or maybe Paul smith, any idears?

When I say dress sense, I mean classy well cut clothes...............

.................not some polo shirt that was made in China for 50p and sold to some chav for 79.99 in his mums Littlewoods catalogue ! :o

Yea ,where you from ? im getting all my cliches ready !!

Edited by mikethevigoman

Yea ,where you from ? im getting al my cliches ready !!

Nice to see the English school system is still doing such a bang up job of teaching spelling and grammar too :o

Difficult to concentrate on spelling when youve a beer in one hand and a water cannon in the other ! ,popping down the dogs <deleted> later for my hallacution lessons !

I'm still drunk off whiskey from last night, down a few beers, whack on some tunes and be out again soon. Too long in Bangkok and still enjoy a good songkran and for all the old expats who are denying the holiday you are miserable old bastards, Happy New Year.

I'm still drunk off whiskey from last night, down a few beers, whack on some tunes and be out again soon. Too long in Bangkok and still enjoy a good songkran and for all the old expats who are denying the holiday you are miserable old bastards, Happy New Year.

I'm not denying it, I'm avoiding it.

Children are entitled to have fun.

cheers

onzestan

Well, As I fled north for the hills ( of The Beautiful Khao Yai!) I encountered my first "Songkran Problem":

RAIN!

It has followed me all the way back to Korat so I hope it still nice and Sunny in Krung Thep! My Watter Cannon has been replenished more times that I can count and I am still gutted that at speed (while driving home) the powerful jet of water wilts in the wind rushing past...

Will go looking for more battles before the sunset!

Ps. Didn't know about the sunset rule. Last night They were selling the cannons by the bar and after midnight ( indeed some before...) the whole place went Songkran crazy! Even though, the bloke that went loopy was the exception. EVERYONE that I saw get wet took it with a grin in good humour. I also noticed they tried to avoid generally the working girls on the street. quite courteous I thought.

cheers

onzestan

When I can't be a child at heart for a couple of days a year just put the bullet in me dude. :D

Cracking first beer now, bit of pulp album, wash of my water gun from last year, super soakers are a great investment accuracy and power, spice of life Mr Lawson. :o

cheers

onzestan

When I can't be a child at heart for a couple of days a year just put the bullet in me dude. :D

Cracking first beer now, bit of pulp album, wash of my water gun from last year, super soakers are a great investment accuracy and power, spice of life Mr Lawson. :D

Agreed. It's more fun to let loose than to be at odds with the rest of the world.

:D :D :o

Edited by weary

Seems to be a few Brits on this thread that are quite secure in a foreign enviroment.

Although, Maigo6 doesn't seem to be secure enough to say where he is from :o

Although, Maigo6 doesn't seem to be secure enough to say where he is from :o

Who cares where he is from, if he is right he is right.

Let's face it, this thread is not about Brits, it is about the farking English. Scots, Oirish and the (magnificent) Welsh are all good :D

Let's face it, this thread is not about Brits, it is about the farking English. Scots, Oirish and the (magnificent) Welsh are all good :D

Yea mate, most farking Brits are alrite wunce ya get talkin' to em like, know what I mean Harry ?

But.....The dress sense lets them down, I mean c'mon......Vicky Pollard is a trend setter in England, Vicky bleedin' Pollard for christs sake............... :o

Maigo, my estimation of you, sir, has been reduced drastically in your last, oh... five hundred and fifty posts.

How's the mid life crisis going?

I had rated you higher in the early days.

It would of course be preferable to think that I was not wrong back then.

On the topic, however, I was 21 or so when my songkran hit me, and I avoided it like the plague.

"what the bleedin' heck do I want to get all wet for?"

My mistake!

the next time I went and enjoyed myself tremendously out'n'about!

and the next time!

and the next... oh by this time I was so looking forward to it!

Nowhere in the world have I come across such pleasant tomfoolery on behalf of an entire nation! (i've still got many places to go though)

Kayo!

English. No buzzcut, no tattoos. No 75 pound shirts.

Edited by kayo

Maigo, my estimation of you, sir, has been reduced drastically in your last, oh... five hundred and fifty posts.

I had rated you higher in the early days.

It would of course be preferable to think that I was not wrong back then.

I'm devastated. :o

Its my first Songkran too since moving here last year.

Never wanted to be here for the idiocy in past years and found out why this morning when some Thai cretin thought it was a good idea to hurl a bucket of water in my face as I was riding my motorcycle. Knocked a 200 quid(14k Baht) pair of sunglasses off, they have my prescription built in and smashed them.

Ha bloody ha.

When is Songkran next year? Think I will make a visa run next one.

Its my first Songkran too since moving here last year.

Never wanted to be here for the idiocy in past years and found out why this morning when some Thai cretin thought it was a good idea to hurl a bucket of water in my face as I was riding my motorcycle. Knocked a 200 quid(14k Baht) pair of sunglasses off, they have my prescription built in and smashed them.

Ha bloody ha.

When is Songkran next year? Think I will make a visa run next one.

One year from today :D

What kind of fool would wear such glasses on Songkran, on a bike?:o

Edited by Ajarn