Lake fishing advice needed

stament

Beginner here struggling to catch big fish in a freshwater lake. I know there are bpla banin, yessop, buu saaauy, sooy and bai amongst other fish.

Apologies for the spelling I'm just spelling them as they sound to me.

I've tried sweet corn as suggested by westerners and high grade fish food but to no avail. All I seem to be ae to attract are very small fish.

I've tried using two hooks with a float and the 5 hook bait as well but no luck.

Any advise out there for a beginner on what bait to use and set-up?

Just to add the Thai fishermen still rarely catch a large fish but they do better than me which isn't difficult.

Go to a fishing shop and ask them. In thailand bread is often the favorite bait. Dampen a ball of bread have your hook on a piece in the middle and sling it out. Some fish need to be tricked with powder and a small polystyrene ball on the hook that will get hovered up as they  feed. A small commercial  pond and guys fishing will show you local baits.

Failing all that you need to find out what you target species feeds on in the wild and introduce things that they may like. Thow sme free bait and see if it gets eaten over 24 hours. If eaten put some more  once you are sure the fish are feeding on your bait you can fish for them  easy innit!  ????

there is also no point in fishing where there are no fish.   walk around the lake, many times if neccessary, and try to find where the fish are and where they feed.

Edited by uncleP

36 minutes ago, uncleP said:

Go to a fishing shop and ask them. In thailand bread is often the favorite bait. Dampen a ball of bread have your hook on a piece in the middle and sling it out. Some fish need to be tricked with powder and a small polystyrene ball on the hook that will get hovered up as they  feed. A small commercial  pond and guys fishing will show you local baits.

Failing all that you need to find out what you target species feeds on in the wild and introduce things that they may like. Thow sme free bait and see if it gets eaten over 24 hours. If eaten put some more  once you are sure the fish are feeding on your bait you can fish for them  easy innit!  ????

there is also no point in fishing where there are no fish.   walk around the lake, many times if neccessary, and try to find where the fish are and where they feed.

Loads of fish. I'm using the fish food recommend as are the local fisherman but we still can't catch a big fish. Wondered if there were any tricks. Guess not.

Appreciate the reply.

50 minutes ago, stament said:

Loads of fish. I'm using the fish food recommend as are the local fisherman but we still can't catch a big fish. Wondered if there were any tricks. Guess not.

Appreciate the reply.

I would try spin casting (this not fly fishing), using an assortment of lures/spinners/spoons, until you find the ones that work for you. There are hundreds of types and sizes available at Lazada. I am not familiar with those brands, but I have done a considerable amount of fresh water fishing using Panther Martin and Mepps brand lures. Your local bait shop might have them too. Good luck.

Lazada link>   https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=mepps&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.search.go.648b2fa5LQiJz4

You will want to start with something that looks like this.

Panther Martin Inline Spinner - #15 - Silver - TackleDirect

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm also not an expert, but I've had success with bread, fishing on the bottom with a weight, and on the top with a float, and cought a lot of catfish using moo tord. 

And like a previous poster said, spinning can be good here, especially in rain season when there's lots of small fish in the water, the big fish are on the lookout for a snack. 

Also, it may be the time of day that you're fishing. 

Early in the morning or late in the afternoon are usually the best. 

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but just thought I'd throw it in 

Edited by northsouthdevide
  • Like 1