Bar Girl Violence

Mai Pai

I just started school here in Bangkok and have had my hands full just trying to stay ahead. My brother is here with me and has had more leisure time than I. Yesterday morning we get a knock on the door and a policeman is there to take my brother into custody for beating a bar girl whom he had visited 2 or three times. My brother had moved to a new bar and a new women and this one, apparently spurned by his lack of attention, went to the police with some made up story. The apartment manager, helped with the police and said this girl had bothered tenants even before we got here. My brother ended up paying an 8,000thb fine and got off with no charges pressed. Is this common? Should he fear more retaliatioin from her or others in the future?

The Apartment manager said some girls make more money than he does each month by threatening to call cops, boyfriends, or even "mafia" to take care of "bad heart boyfriends." Is there really mafia in Thailand and are threats like this something to mbe concerned about? Or am I just easily scammed?

Try to find some other type of life for your brother. Or any life, for that matter. :o

Seriously, I don't think this is very common and more often than not when there's violent or nasty conflicts it's the guy's fault.. So often indeed that I would hesitate to take any Farang's side without seriously making sure he didn't have it coming.

On a side issue, paying 8000 baht to police is rubbish. They want to make a case, let them. Bluf them a little bit with a law firm and perhaps give them a 1000 for their trouble & 'face', and that's that.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Staying in Ladyao Chathuchak, northern Bangkok. There are no farangs around here "sicko" or otherwise and my brother keeps meeting girls at Thai Kareoke Bars and local bars close to our apartment. Is this "real Thailand"?

just started school here in Bangkok and have had my hands full just trying to stay ahead. My brother is here with me and has had more leisure time than I. Yesterday morning we get a knock on the door and a policeman is there to take my brother into custody for beating a bar girl whom he had visited 2 or three times. My brother had moved to a new bar and a new women and this one, apparently spurned by his lack of attention, went to the police with some made up story. The apartment manager, helped with the police and said this girl had bothered tenants even before we got here. My brother ended up paying an 8,000thb fine and got off with no charges pressed. Is this common? Should he fear more retaliatioin from her or others in the future?

Some school you go to, what do your parents think?

Staying in Ladyao Chathuchak, northern Bangkok. There are no farangs around here "sicko" or otherwise and my brother keeps meeting girls at Thai Kareoke Bars and local bars close to our apartment. Is this "real Thailand"?

Yes. I stand corrected (and a little ashamed even). :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I am at Kasetsart University working on my Master's degree. My brother, 7 years younger than I, does seem to enjoy a different aspect of Thailand than I. From what i've gathered, this is an isolated incident and nothing I should worry about (god knows my brother doesn't seem too concerned). Thanks for the help.

ps. love the Chiangmai eatery info Chanchao.

Getting girls from Thai-run Karaoke, I guess chances are high for some

'mafia' involvement, or rather protective 'friends' being in the background, including police. Although not every threat posed is followed through, treat lightly, if the girl has real backup, he/they are likely to turn up the same evening as the problem arises, without prior warning. This is not common, unless your brother is a lagerlout causing loss of face to everybody in sight!

But then, what kind of place is this?

"The apartment manager, helped with the police and said this girl had bothered tenants even before we got here."

I am at Kasetsart University working on my Master's degree. My brother, 7 years younger than I, does seem to enjoy a different aspect of Thailand than I. From what i've gathered, this is an isolated incident and nothing I should worry about (god knows my brother doesn't seem too concerned). Thanks for the help.

ps. love the Chiangmai eatery info Chanchao.

(god knows my brother doesn't seem too concerned).

He might not be too concerned "at the moment" but he might have a change of heart when he is trying to swim against the current in the Chao Praya with some weights tied to his feet.

Might be a good idea if you got alternative accommodation for both you and your brother. If they come back looking for him you're the next best thing as far as they will be concerned.

:o

I think you got shaken down by a scamming cop and his bargirl sidekick. I would be interested to know the sequence of events and location when it came to paying the money.(ie was the deal done at the door to your appartment?) maybe even the appartment manager is in on the deal.

last year I walked from the vivahldi intersection down to the skytrain station via the side of Chathuchak park at around 10pm. leaning against the railings for a fair distance were ladies whom gave me the impression they were not waiting for a bus.(this is a fair distance from the bus stops at the bottom of the skytrain station)

:o

My brother, 7 years younger than I, does seem to enjoy a different aspect of Thailand than I. From what i've gathered, this is an isolated incident and nothing I should worry about

On the contrary, I would indeed worry about a young male tourist who hangs out in Thai bars. Your brother has already been marked as an easy target for having coughed up 8,000 baat for nothing. He is already way over his head. He needs to be told to head down to the tourist bars for his hanky panky or tell him to grow up and try to find a real girlfriend. Send him to where Thai folks his age hang out like RCA or have him walk around Maboonkrong. Make sure he knows what Thai women like to feed to ducks when they really get mad. And be worried! Better yet, I would send such a fool packing his bags back home before he gets himself hurt.

My brother, 7 years younger than I, does seem to enjoy a different aspect of Thailand than I.  From what i've gathered, this is an isolated incident and nothing I should worry about

On the contrary, I would indeed worry about a young male tourist who hangs out in Thai bars. Your brother has already been marked as an easy target for having coughed up 8,000 baat for nothing. He is already way over his head. He needs to be told to head down to the tourist bars for his hanky panky or tell him to grow up and try to find a real girlfriend. Send him to where Thai folks his age hang out like RCA or have him walk around Maboonkrong. Make sure he knows what Thai women like to feed to ducks when they really get mad. And be worried! Better yet, I would send such a fool packing his bags back home before he gets himself hurt.

I assume your brother is only on a tourist visa, whereas you are on a student visa.

Send him home.

Well thats what happens when you go messing around with prostitutes. And going with prostitutes in Thailand is 'illegal'!!! So your brother deserved everything he got. Hopefully he will have learned his lesson now, and wont be turned into a future sex tourist. If only this happened to all the sex tourists that went to Thailand on their first visit, then they would probably never return. If this had happened, Thailand would be a much nicer place now!!!

QUOTE (Mr Helper @ Fri 2004-06-11, 02:54:38)

My name is Mr Helper .

I love katoeys.

I love Katoey prostitiutes.

Thanks for sharing with us....

Fancy being so mean to Mr. Helper! Especially when you know how much we all like self righteous pricks.

While staying in Bangkok a few years ago, I happened to get acquainted with the exchange student group attending one of BKK's major universities. They were a mixed bunch of some 50 people - some already spoke good or passable Thai, others were here for the first time, and all were from different countries and backgrounds - Mainland Europe, UK, Scandinavia, South America, Central America, North America, Australia, Japan, etc.

The puppies who decided to stay in "all Thai" places, go to "where the locals hang out" and be friendly with everyone regardless of social status (because *I* want to live like the tuk tuk drivers) had the most problems, for various reasons. This is because there's a lot of unpleasant stuff going on out there that you only float through and might catch a glipse of as a foreigner not involved in society. If you persist in wanting to *really* get to know the motorcycle taxi drivers, the night watch outside of your apartment building, the punters at the local karaoke bar, the bar girls, or the ganja/yaa baa dealer two doors away from your apartment, you're more often than not playing with stuff you can't handle. This is even more true for girls.

Some minor incidents from that year: One of my American friends got away by the skin of her teeth from being gang-raped by the motorcycle taxi drivers in her soi, another guy was chased through the butchers' soi in which he persisted to live, stained with pig's blood by a mental patient with a meat cleaver, one was extorted for money after having bought ganja, another set up by neighbours and the police and had to pay bribes, yet others screwed in various metaphorical and not only literal senses by bargirls.

I was close enough to that side of Bangkok in that first year to know it isn't good for anyone, and I would recommend anyone to think more than twice about doing the same things as these people did.

Sure, it's your brother's life, but if you care about him and yourself, consider moving to a new place, giving the girl bars a miss, and starting on a new slate.

If you persist in wanting to *really* get to know the motorcycle taxi drivers, the night watch outside of your apartment building, the punters at the local karaoke bar, the bar girls, or the ganja/yaa baa dealer two doors away from your apartment, you're more often than not playing with stuff you can't handle. This is even more true for girls.

This is a great post.

To me, it would be similar to a suburban white guy/girl trying to hang out in an urban ghetto in the US, say Watts or something. It just ain't going to be too healthy.

TH

While staying in Bangkok a few years ago, I happened to get acquainted with the exchange student group attending one of BKK's major universities. They were a mixed bunch of some 50 people - some already spoke good or passable Thai, others were here for the first time, and all were from different countries and backgrounds - Mainland Europe, UK, Scandinavia, South America, Central America, North America, Australia, Japan, etc.

The puppies who decided to stay in "all Thai" places, go to "where the locals hang out" and be friendly with everyone regardless of social status (because *I* want to live like the tuk tuk drivers) had the most problems, for various reasons. This is because there's a lot of unpleasant stuff going on out there that you only float through and might catch a glipse of as a foreigner not involved in society. If you persist in wanting to *really* get to know the motorcycle taxi drivers, the night watch outside of your apartment building, the punters at the local karaoke bar, the bar girls, or the ganja/yaa baa dealer two doors away from your apartment, you're more often than not playing with stuff you can't handle. This is even more true for girls.

Some minor incidents from that year: One of my American friends got away by the skin of her teeth from being gang-raped by the motorcycle taxi drivers in her soi, another guy was chased through the butchers' soi in which he persisted to live, stained with pig's blood by a mental patient with a meat cleaver, one was extorted for money after having bought ganja, another set up by neighbours and the police and had to pay bribes, yet others screwed in various metaphorical and not only literal senses by bargirls.

I was close enough to that side of Bangkok in that first year to know it isn't good for anyone, and I would recommend anyone to think more than twice about doing the same things as these people did.

Sure, it's your brother's life, but if you care about him and yourself, consider moving to a new place, giving the girl bars a miss, and starting on a new slate.

Meadish,

Solid advice. I'd love to have you around whenever I face various situations.

(Not being sarcastic..!) You sure your name is not Peter?

/// DFW

I'm a fläsk and löksås kinda guy myself...

Thanks for the input and advise. Any suggestions for alternative activities for a 22 year old in Bangkok for 1 month? It seems hanging out with people his age is not possible because of the language barrier, he's had as much culture as his barely legal self can stand and he's driving me crazy. 2 more weeks 'til he goes home.

There is a heavy metal live music bar on Soi Lang Suan, a pretty save area. Deafening thumping hardcore, folks in black leather and long hair, very harmless behind the fassade. Might be his cup of tea. Tell him not to stroll towards Lumpini park after closing.

....erhh make that: do not tell him.

There is a heavy metal live music bar on Soi Lang Suan, a pretty save area. Deafening thumping hardcore, folks in black leather and long hair, very harmless behind the fassade. Might be his cup of tea. Tell him not to stroll towards Lumpini park after closing.

....erhh make that: do not tell him.

:o gotcha!