Thailand extends foreigners' visas for a second time as coronavirus cases slow

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand extends foreigners' visas as coronavirus cases slow

breaking news banner V2.png

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's cabinet approved a second automatic visa extension for foreigners for three more months on Tuesday, in a bid to prevent long queues at immigration centres and stem the spread of the coronavirus.

Foreigners whose visas had expired since March 26 will be permitted to stay until July 30 without having to apply for an extension, said Narumon Pinyosinwat, spokeswoman for the Thai government.

A similar extension was granted until April 30. To combat the COVID-19 outbreak, Thailand has since late March banned entry to foreigners, except diplomats and work-permit holders.

Earlier on Tuesday, Thailand confirmed 19 new coronavirus cases, the lowest daily increase since March 14, and one death, a 50-year-old taxi driver.

The Southeast Asian nation has recorded 2,811 coronavirus cases and 48 fatalities.

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panarat Thepgumpanat; editing by John Stonestreet)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-21

How about the 90-day reporting requirement?

My current 90-day cycle expired on April 16. So, on April 9 I tried to file my documents using the website and, subsequently, the mobile app. Both failed.

So I decided to go the postal route instead. I mailed the TM47 form together with all required supporting documents plus a self-addressed return envelope on April 10 by EMS with advice of receipt.

I received back the advice of receipt notification on April 12. According to that card, my documents were delivered to the immigration bureau on April 11 at 11 am, and the delivery was signed by an immigration officer. I could therefore be 100% certain that my TM47 had reached its intended destination.

But unsurprisingly, I still haven't received back my self-addressed return envelope containing the receipt of notification.

I am now not sure what to do, to be honest. Should I really go to the immigration office and file the TM47 again (although now belated as today already is April 22)? Is it necessary at all? Or has the 90-day reporting requirement been suspended temporarily? There seems to be conflicting information circulating. Some sources claim it has been suspended, others insist it has not.

Any advice? 

So, with a Non Imm O based on marriage , issued at Savannahket ,expiring in September and my current 90 days entry expiring on 6th June , am I correct in thinking that unless land borders reopen before then ,  I no longer have to worry about doing a visa run until 31st July ?

Sounds good but TIT and would not be surprised if I got hit with an overstay and fine by some over zealous immigration officer when leaving on 31st July.

Does this mean that all 90 day reporting ha to be done by July 30 (my report date is May 16) plus the normal 7 day grace period?

Then the next subsequent 90 day reporting is due October 30?

Does anyone know the correct sequence of event.

Thanks

Edited by marvin1950
additional

10 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Does this mean that all 90 day reporting ha to be done by July 30 (my report date is May 16) plus the normal 7 day grace period?

Then the next subsequent 90 day reporting is due October 30?

Does anyone know the correct sequence of event.

Thanks

Yes, I've been wondering that as well (see my post above).

Hahaha...
The time are changing fast!
6-8 months ago, many peoples who was totally legal, was took for the more dangerous criminels and get deported, not allowed to get in thailand even by holding visas, some even go see inside the jail!

Now it's more like: Oh please stay in, we need all your money, not only the money of the richer ones!

???????? ????

On 4/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, Denim said:

So, with a Non Imm O based on marriage , issued at Savannahket ,expiring in September and my current 90 days entry expiring on 6th June , am I correct in thinking that unless land borders reopen before then ,  I no longer have to worry about doing a visa run until 31st July ?

Sounds good but TIT and would not be surprised if I got hit with an overstay and fine by some over zealous immigration officer when leaving on 31st July.

Lot's of threads about this on the specific visa forum.