Covid lockdowns - driving to Isan

Pokati

Hi,

I'm currently working from home in Bangkok. I was thinking of driving to the family in Isan to work from there for a little while.

Does anyone know if there are any roadblocks other than usual on Mittraphap road and further on? 

My plan is to go end of this week around May 1st when it seems some restrictions will be lowered. I'm planning to drive in the day time

Thanks

Edited by Pokati
Clarify

This is what I posted 2 days ago to thread Travel from Pattaya to Surin and Khon Kaen

If you take highway #2 no problem whatsoever.

I drove basically from Saraburi to Nongkhai and met just 1 police stop. And even they waved everybody through. Plenty of drivers on the roads, business as usual. Just don't drive small roads into towns and provinces around. Some of them are closed, have checkpoints and after passing checkpoint you have do 14 day quarantine inside there. Take highway #2.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

This is what I posted 2 days ago to thread Travel from Pattaya to Surin and Khon Kaen

If you take highway #2 no problem whatsoever.

I drove basically from Saraburi to Nongkhai and met just 1 police stop. And even they waved everybody through. Plenty of drivers on the roads, business as usual. Just don't drive small roads into towns and provinces around. Some of them are closed, have checkpoints and after passing checkpoint you have do 14 day quarantine inside there. Take highway #2.

Excellent, this is valuable info

I usually leave the #2 after Pon to go toward Maha Sarakham. All main roads. When coming closer to my destination roads and villages are smaller, so that's where I might expect some trouble then

16 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

The major problem is when you get there.

Neighbours and Pooyaibans are on the lookout for strangers and foreigners 

You may get a visit telling you to lockdown for 14 days?

Not just you, everyone in the household where you're staying.

They might not thank you.

Ok, I will check before we go. I'm usually on good terms with the people in the village, but due to anxiety and some xenophobic sentiment these days it's probably better to check.

• Like 1

Even if you manage to get to Isan safely be prepared for 14 days of home quarantine. Every arrival from other provinces must be reported to the local village chief. This was the case with a family member who came back from an other province as the jobs dried up there. He wasn't allowed to leave the village for 2 weeks and nurses/medical staff came every day to check body temperature/symptoms and take photos of everyone around.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Even if you manage to get to Isan safely be prepared for 14 days of home quarantine. Every arrival from other provinces must be reported to the local village chief. This was the case with a family member who came back from an other province as the jobs dried up there. He wasn't allowed to leave the village for 2 weeks and nurses/medical staff came every day to check body temperature/symptoms and take photos of everyone around.

That’s what I was afraid of didn’t want to spend 14 days with no clean water ,sanitation etc

5 minutes ago, ian carman said:

That’s what I was afraid of didn’t want to spend 14 days with no clean water ,sanitation etc

Its a chance not worth taking imo. They have isolated 8 in our small Central area to date. News spread faster than Covits.

Quote below in small letters from The Thaiger  April 24, 2020 regarding Buriram health sticker requirement starting May 1. Buriram is considered a light orange district - no new Covid-19 outbreaks in the last 14 days. If districts with orange or red ratings follow Buriram then you could very easily end up being quarantined for 14 days. I want to fly from Phuket - red designation to Kohn Kaen- also designated red and am waiting to see if Khon Kaen implements the same policy as Buriram.

Buriram, one of Thailand’s major provinces in the lower northeastern region know as Issan, will soon require residents to carry a “healthy sticker” whenever they go outside. The provincial governor made the announcement yesterday and said the measure will come into effect on May 1. The sticker, to be attached to residents’ ID cards, will be required as a proof of health before entering shops, markets and public venues.

Those who have not travelled outside the province and patients who have recovered from Covid-19 infections are eligible for the stickers. Anyone returning to or entering the province will face quarantine for 14 days before they can receive the blue sticker. They will lose the sticker if they travel outside Buriram

1 hour ago, ian carman said:

What would happen if someone was quarantined who could not eat Thai food, only western food,  and would he have access to a fridge with plenty of cold water?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What would happen if someone was quarantined who could not eat Thai food, only western food,  and would he have access to a fridge with plenty of cold water?

Highly unlikely they would have the ability nor understanding and certainly not the inclination to pander to any "special" dietry needs that are not supported by medical evidence/certificate that states such requirements are medically necessary..............but I bet a brown envelope would work wonders ! 55555

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Highly unlikely they would have the ability nor understanding and certainly not the inclination to pander to any "special" dietry needs that are not supported by medical evidence/certificate that states such requirements are medically necessary..............but I bet a brown envelope would work wonders ! 55555

Just the sort of answer I expected this being Thailand. Thanks.

I'm up near Udon Thani in Ban Non Sawan and my wife's sister's son came from Khon Khaen and he is quarantined for 14 days. He seems to still be able to get out but if he goes too far they call the doctor to come check on him. It's not like he's jailed in his room but he can't wander far. Also, wherever you are going you will need somewhere to be quarantined. The doctor comes and makes sure you have a separate room and a separate bathroom. All in all, not too bad but I imagine there may be places that could be nightmarish.

10 hours ago, Pokati said:

Excellent, this is valuable info

I usually leave the #2 after Pon to go toward Maha Sarakham. All main roads. When coming closer to my destination roads and villages are smaller, so that's where I might expect some trouble then

The problem imo isn't where you're traveling to, it's where you coming from and what happens when coming back home and get caught in a checkpoint. Buriram,for example will open up May 1. If leaving the province and getting caught in a checkpoint you'll have to self isolate 14 days when you return. 

I have just arrived back in southern Isaan after a few days away where I drove through 15 provincial boundaries within Isaan. I did not encounter a single roadblock, nor was I stopped and tested for temp except entering a 7-11 at my destination and when I went to Big C on arriving back this evening. However I did not go through Buriram nor Ubon Ratchathani provinces. I have been in both of these over the last month, with no problems or stoppages. Ubon apparently as of last week require you to isolate for 14 days on arrival. 

Eventually we decided not to go. Even though we would take every precaution, we thought it was better not to be egoistic and not to go. We'll  wait until lockdowns have eased hopefully later this month or the next.

However seeing the news today shows traffic jams on Mitraphap, so not everyone made the same conclusion

Lucky we avoided the traffic. We'll go on a better time