Bangkok Bank Be1st Mastercard

So I use this card at the ATM, but am unable to use it for 'credit card' shopping. I've only tried once with the pizza company online ordering, but it was refused. The only thing I wasn't sure about is the form asked for name and my name isn't on the card so not sure what they're expecting.

Should this card be able to make Mastercard purchases?

Two items that may help:

1. Bangkok Bank website Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard info (link)

2. a Thaivisa Thread: Bangkok Bank Be1st "Mastercard" for Aliens........

and included this post:

On 12/1/2019 at 1:27 PM, tom in bangkok said:

I mentioned this on another thread but I'll say it again in case it helps someone to choose a different debit card.

The problem isn't Mastercard, it's the fact that it's a TPN debit card. Only local companies are allowed to process TPN debit payments online (in general), so that's why some online purchases work with it but some/most don't. TPN credit cards shouldn't have this problem.

If buying stuff online is important, either use a credit card or a debit card that doesn't go through TPN.

You have to tell the Bank you want to use the card for online purchases,

before you can use it online.   Its not a Credit card, you have to also make sure you have enough money in the account ,to cover what you want to buy.its a debit card

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Asked for credit card from BB when opening account...after much laughter...was told for aliens "no have!"

This is not true, you can get one but conditions/restrictions apply. Easier if you have a work permit but I believe even possible on a retirement visa. But most banks (even with a WP) will require that you hold a blocked deposit amount at least the equivalent of your card spending limit: so, in effect the bank takes no credit risk on you. I have this on my card and have no issue with this, as all I want is a usable Cc in Thailand I do not want/need or wish to pay for, any credit facilities.

• Like 1

Thanks all! I did search this forum first using Bangkok Bank and be1st, but that previous thread was not returned.

So I can use this in person, like 7/11, just not online?

Edited by frantick

1 hour ago, frantick said:

So I can use this in person, like 7/11, just not online?

You can use it online. But (1) you must first contact BB and ask them to activate it for online purchases, and (2) understand that the card will only work with a limited number of online vendors. So while it is a "MasterCard" branded card some people are reporting issues getting transactions accepted. The BB MasterCard debit card seems to have more issues than similar SCB MasterCard.

I'll also refer you to back that previous ThaiVisa thread, this time the last post #113:

you need to go into the bank you got it from and fill in a form to get online access, it will work in Thailand but not overseas as mine doesnt but in Thailand I have no problems at all using it online even with pizza etc. For overseas I use my aussie card or paypal

I can use mine with Lazada , E bay , paying bills True Visions etc. But for the life of me I cannot get it to work on Homepro , although I have used it before on Homepro.

I have been on their " chat " twice , waited 20 mins first time , followed agents advice , then got cut off and sent to the back of the line , wanted me to wait another 15 mins to go through it all again with a different agent.

Tried again this morning , " Card problem you have to go to bank " I told them I use it in other places blah blah blah , but for one week I have been trying it on Homepro and yous is the only site that will not accept it.

Now I have been passed on to someone higher up the ladder and I am waiting on a phone call or e mail.