Passport renewal and re-entry permit

Can anyone help me please.  I am in Thailand.  My passport expires 16 Feb 21.  I intend renewing it in Thailand early in the New Year.  I have a re-entry permit which allows me to remain in Thailand until 13 Feb 21.  I wish to leave Thailand on 12 Feb to do a visa run.  I will be out of Thailand about one week.  Assuming we can travel by then is it essential to have my re-entry permit transferred from my old to my new passport at the IO before I leave Thailand? 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Edited by Adelphi

A re-entry permit does no allow you to stay in the country. It only keeps your permit to stay valid it was issued for when you enter the country.

It appears you will need get a new re-entry permit before you leave the country since it will be expired when you enter the country.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A re-entry permit does no allow you to stay in the country. It only keeps your permit to stay valid it was issued for when you enter the country.

It appears you will need get a new re-entry permit before you leave the country since it will be expired when you enter the country.

Thanks ubonjoe.  Sorry if I was not clear.  I want to leave Thailand and when I re-enter Thailand begin afresh my visa application.  

I just was not sure if I had to have my re-entry permit transferred from my old to my new passport.  I would prefer not to bother but I don't want problems with the immigration people when I am leaving Thailand.  

Immigration does not check for re-entry permits when you leave the country.

You will show both passports on departure from the country and they will transfer you current entry stamp in the old one to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

"I intend renewing it (passport) in Thailand early in the New Year."

Be careful. Renew as early as possible. I started to renew my passport (UK) in March. The office closed, and is still closed. I don't know when it will reopen. When it does, it may take 6 weeks to get a new passport. So, 4 - 5 months to get a new passport.