Retirement Visa expires 31st May.

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

I went to my local immigration office earlier this week. They were very clear in telling me that annual extensions of stay for retirement or marriage were not included in the amnesty and that I must apply just as I normally would have to.

Best to follow earlier advice and check with your local office.

This is the issue at the moment. The infographic issued by immigration clearly refers to all forms of visa types, so for sure, there is an automatic extension of any visa extension until 31st July. The issue (source of confusion) is the effect of that extension. Theoretically, the automatic extension should act as an additional period for all foreigners at the end of which they should be able to renew normally from 31.07.20. However, I appreciate that that's my view (notwithstanding that that view is formed using normative legal interpretive criteria) but there are undoubtedly going to be a lot of arguments at immigration by people saying that they relied on the extension and didn't go to immigration during the lockdown and therefore should be able to extend normally. Immigration should be clarifying the issue on a national scale, and not leaving the interpretation of a national decree down to a bullet point gif

On a technical point, there was a partial amnesty in the sense that those who had originally overstayed (for a short period) before the Corona extension had been issued were permitted to obtain an additional extension once they had paid overstay fees, but the whole process has now been superseded by an automatic extension to 31st July 

10 hours ago, roath said:

You can change where you are registered by filing a TM28 which provides a new 'permanent' address. It doesn't matter if you own the property that you live in or not (it may be an issue if you have a yellow books/pink cards, as in theory you are meant to change your registration with the amphur also, but that's not an immigration issue).

Once you have filed a new TM28, and presuming that you've filed the TM30 at that address, then (as I understand), you then treat your local office as your normal office for extensions/90 days/etc. 

Obviously, when things get back to normal, you can change back for the following. Whether there will be questions asked about chopping and changing, I don't know and maybe someone else has some experience of that. 

If you have been following the discussion with Ubonjoe, there is clearly a question mark at the moment about what the status of visas extended by the covid extension will be, and for that reason, if the OP can extend normally within time, he would be best advised so to do at the present time

Sorry I mean TM27 for change of permanent address not TM28

UPDATE,

I was originally told by my visa agent of 7 years that I had up until the 31st July to renew, then I started reading online that it did not apply to retirement visa's hence my original  post. I recently contacted my agent agent and expressed my concerns she personally went into the IO in Chiangmai and was told 100% that I had until the 31st July.  

1 hour ago, pingping said:

Chiangmai and was told 100% that I had until the 31st July.  

That's all very well. Fact is in other threads and even in this thread folk have been given opposite information. 

Granted that's normal for Thai imm offices.

Different advice and sometimes even in same office.

I'm trying to think of another report has stated same advice from io that your agent was given.

However read few with opposite advice.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's all very well. Fact is in other threads and even in this thread folk have been given opposite information. 

Granted that's normal for Thai imm offices.

Different advice and sometimes even in same office.

Totally agree with you.

• Like 1