Weightlifting:'The Mountain' Bjornsson deadlifts 501 kg to set world record

rooster59

Weightlifting:'The Mountain' Bjornsson deadlifts 501 kg to set world record

2020-05-03T003529Z_3_LYNXMPEG410II_RTROPTP_4_WEIGHTLIFTING-DEADLIFT-BJORNSSON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Hafthor Julius Bjornsson arrives for the premiere of the final season of "Game of Thrones" at Radio City Music Hall in New York, U.S., April 3, 2019. REUTERS/Caitlin Ochs

(Reuters) - Icelandic actor and strongman Hafthor Bjornsson set a world record for the deadlift on Saturday when he lifted 1,104 pounds (501 kg) at Thor's Power Gym in Iceland.

Bjornsson, best known for his portrayal of Ser Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane on the popular HBO series Game of Thrones, broke the record previously held by Briton Eddie Hall who in 2016 became the first man to lift 500 kg.

The event was streamed live on ESPN

Bjornsson, who is six feet and nine inches tall, won the World's Strongest Man competition in 2018.

(Reporting by Rohith Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by David Holmes)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-03

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is 6 and a half men my size, hell, impressive.

Have you seen his Mrs, she is tiny. Interesting to speculate how that works ! She better be careful he doesn't turn over in bed in his sleep and crushes her. he wouldn't even notice.     

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A couple of years ago I benched-pressed 50 kilos 25 times in one minute. Could he do that more than a few times before getting tired? I doubt it.

I think he can, you just need to give him the right incentive.

Just offer him $100.000 for this challange and i am sure we will find out soon if he can or not.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A couple of years ago I benched-pressed 50 kilos 25 times in one minute. Could he do that more than a few times before getting tired? I doubt it.

50kg or 500kg?

Let's put these heavy weights into perspective. Here's a video of the previous record that was just broken, 500kg, by Eddie Hall.

He said later he'll never try that again as he was close to death. Attempting these weights, even for these strongmen, is very dangerous. The heaviest deadlift without straps was 461 kg by Benedikt Magnússon in 2011. He might have achieved over 500 kg with straps, but he ended up with too many injuries to be competitive. Eddie Hall never competed without straps.

Watch from 3:47 until after he completed the lift to see what happened.

22 hours ago, Thailand said:

During lockdown I have regularly been lifting 2lb weights and now claim the title of "The Molehill"  ????

During the lockdown I have regularly been lifting 700ml bottles... I can't print what my missus calls me.

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

50kg or 500kg?

Let's put these heavy weights into perspective. Here's a video of the previous record that was just broken, 500kg, by Eddie Hall.

He said later he'll never try that again as he was close to death. Attempting these weights, even for these strongmen, is very dangerous. The heaviest deadlift without straps was 461 kg by Benedikt Magnússon in 2011. He might have achieved over 500 kg with straps, but he ended up with too many injuries to be competitive. Eddie Hall never competed without straps.

Watch from 3:47 until after he completed the lift to see what happened.

It's impressive stuff. He is bursting at the seams with fast-twitch fibers.

Look at his support team; cameras, family, a couple of thousand watching and cheering, medical back-up.

I did my bench press series in an Isaan park, in 50 degrees. In fact the bar was so hot it burnt the skin off my hands; and all to impress a couple of bits of fluff on the cycle machines. It worked too. One came over and offered me a drink from her water bottle.

No straps, no smelling sorts, no fan, no hype and no money.