How to explain pinging knocking in Thai

I know this is a Thai language question but I think it's specific to motoring. 

There's a noise coming from my 2012 Honda Jazz that I think is what's know as 'pinking' in the UK. Also known as 'pinging', 'knocking', 'detonation', 'spark knock' ect.

It's not easy to be sure since engine insulation has improved since the last time I had a standard petrol engine and even longer since I had an older one. 

Does anyone know what the Thai word is for that? They may be able to tell anyway if they drive it but from past experience I don't take anything for granted. I'll have to rely on my wife to help me as well so that should be fun. 

Can you show/print this facebook site that deals with engine knock (and some product to analyze)?

https://www.facebook.com/RyutechAutomotive/posts/498463477372683

The core word seems to be:

เครื่องเขก (krêuang kàyk)

krêuang  (engine/machine):

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131743

kàyk (nock):

http://www.thai-language.com/id/144513

Transcripts vary as usual.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, nzrick said:

Isn't it referred to as "pinking" in the UK?

That's what I've always said and heard in the UK as I said in my post but I know it has other names elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

if you can find a google clip that you can put on your phone to show them? like this one 

Yes I saw that one although I found it difficult to hear anything that sounded like pinking. 

6 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Pinging in Thai, = Keep driving don't check oil or water.

Don't worry till it dies ????

Yeah...any noise, just turn the radio up...any warning lights come on just cut the wire or bulb

Doubt if you have pre-ignition or detonation.

Modern ECU controlled engines have knock sensors to detect such, caused by - among other things - bad fuel and worn components.

It will dial back the timing until the knock goes away.

Your ears will never hear that well.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Doubt if you have pre-ignition or detonation.

Modern ECU controlled engines have knock sensors to detect such, caused by - among other things - bad fuel and worn components.

It will dial back the timing until the knock goes away.

Your ears will never hear that well.

To be honest that's what I thought and to start with that's not what I thought it was but it seems to occur in exactly the way I would expect pinking to. 

I'm deaf in my left ear but my right is fine and one of the side effects is that I notice sounds that I would have blocked out when my left ear was ok. 

Basically I just want them to check in case the noise is something important which of course pinking is. 

Systematic approach to trouble shooting will find it - altho finding someone in LOS who can do this may present a problem.

Heard exhaust leaks you would swear were a rod bearing or piston pin knocking.

the sound was hard to discern on little laptop spkrs...

thinking,  rather than holding the phone in your hand - why not lay it flat solid against the dash

the knocking should directly transmit thru the car & phones body, to the MIC, just like how one hears his own voice very well (thru ones bones)

11 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Systematic approach to trouble shooting will find it - altho finding someone in LOS who can do this may present a problem.

It's a Honda Jazz OP just has to take it Honda and plug in and check ECU & sensors 10 min job.

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

When it first started I wasn't sure what it was. It started when I pulled away rather than when idling. I did have a quick underneath in case there was something wrapped around the drive shafts but I couldn't see anything. I tried accelerating as that's when I'd expect to hear it but it wasn't very conclusive. Now it seems to be fairly consistent in happening under load and stopping when the load is removed. It's not easy for me to be certain of the direction is coming from which is a consequence of my mono hearing. 

I'm going to take it in to the Honda dealership where it's always serviced but I thought it might help if I could suggest what I thought it might be from what I'd heard. I'm not a mechanic but when I was younger I would dealt dealt with any pinking and many other problems myself as it was cheaper and easier to do. 

It's all computers these days and my assumption is if I can explain what I think might be the problem they'll check that . Having said that a few years ago I was having problems when I had 4 passengers rather than just myself and my wife as the headlights were too high and despite it being a higher spec car there's no adjustment for load as is normal these days. I know there are gauges to check headlight alignment so we took it along to the Honda dealership to get it checked. It was taken into the workshop and parked facing the white painted wall where the mechanic opened the bonnet/hood and went in with a screwdriver lowered the beam a little then put up his thumb and said to me "OK?" I was a bit surprised and just said yes and he did the same on the other side. I've adjusted then myself since but it's still a pain not having an adjustment in the cat as I've been used to. 

5 hours ago, transam said:

Go to Honda with an empty beer can and a pencil, Open the hood, point at the engine and tap out  "Hound Dog" with the pencil on the tin......????

Actually that's not a bad idea.  ????

I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a way translate it into Thai because they never notice it or worry about it. 

On 5/4/2020 at 9:37 AM, Kwasaki said:

It's a Honda Jazz OP just has to take it Honda and plug in and check ECU & sensors 10 min job.

Yes that's what I'll do. I just thought it might help if I had some way to explain what I thought it might be based on what I could hear which would also be a way of explaining the noise.

I would have thought plugging it in to check it would be the best idea but then as I've said in another post I thought a dealership would check headlights with a gauge as they do in my local backstreet garage in the UK but I was wrong.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:03 PM, kimamey said:

That's what I've always said and heard in the UK as I said in my post but I know it has other names elsewhere.

Pre ignition.. What that would be in Thai ....who knows.

Maybe ' Gahn joot rabert gorn hooa teean.

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

Yes that's what I'll do. I just thought it might help if I had some way to explain what I thought it might be based on what I could hear which would also be a way of explaining the noise.

I would have thought plugging it in to check it would be the best idea but then as I've said in another post I thought a dealership would check headlights with a gauge as they do in my local backstreet garage in the UK but I was wrong.

Honda franchises differ from province to province our one has all equipment to do a ECU diagnosis and check or correct headlights.

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=th&text=car computer check and adjust headlights.

Edited by Kwasaki

• 5 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 5:14 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Can you show/print this facebook site that deals with engine knock (and some product to analyze)?

https://www.facebook.com/RyutechAutomotive/posts/498463477372683

The core word seems to be:

เครื่องเขก (krêuang kàyk)

krêuang  (engine/machine):

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131743

kàyk (nock):

http://www.thai-language.com/id/144513

Transcripts vary as usual.

I intended to come back to Sry how I got on but as so often happens I forgot.  

It seems as if 'knocking' might be the best word to describe it and your first Facebook link helped.  They took it out for a quick drive,  came back and took it into the workshop then got me to drive it and it was sorted. I've no idea what they did but it worked. 

14 hours ago, johng said:

Maybe put some higher octane fuel in it ?

I considered doing that myself but decided I get it looked at instead. If they'd done that it might have stopped it pinking but I guess it would have come back when I put the normal fuel in on subsequent refills.