Sponge (cake)

SidJames

Does anyone know where I can buy sponge or sponge fingers?

I looked in Friendship, Big C & Tesco lotus to no avail.

I don't want those little orange or green sponge rolls filled with sugared cream that 7/11 sell

From what I've seen, some places have frozen "pound" (or "sponge" or "butter") cakes, but other than that it seems they stock stuff like those "Euro Cakes" - usually in the same area as crackers and cookies. Those Euro Cakes are more like Twinkies than anything.

You might also want to check places like Siamburi's on Soi Khao Talo, Siam Expat foods on Soi Siam Country Club and Foodland on Pattaya Klang.

They either stock mostly foreign foods (the first two) or have a pretty decent selection of them at least (like Foodland).

• Thanks 1

Great.
I replied to the topic and now all the video ads that pop up (usually right where I'm trying to type) are all for Frozen Pound Cakes.

I already know where I can find them if I want them !! I don't need to see ads for them every time I look at the computer !

Now if I post about all the cute girls pictured in the ThaiFriendly ad to the right of this post, maybe the video ads will switch to that instead. (Better that than the ad for hair transplants !)

• Thanks 1

OP, they are really easy to make yourself and much tastier than Thai ones. You need a good electric oven, but you can get a portable one for 6,000 Baht if you have cakes all the time.  Just follow a simple spongy recipe on google and you are off and running.  I bake at least twice a week.  

https://natashaskitchen.com/easy-sponge-cake-genoise/

• Thanks 1

I cut out most of the pics and other clutter. The name of the author and the URL of the original site is linked below the pic in case you want to look at all the variations of the recipe.

4-Ingredient Sponge Cake

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
sponge-cake-biskvit-400x400.jpg
Once you master this easy European sponge cake (genoise), you can make hundreds of different cakes using this base!
Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Skill Level: Easy
Servings: 2 (9-inch) round cakes

Ingredients

Instructions

• Preheat Oven to 350˚F. Line bottoms of two 9″ cake pans with parchment paper (do not grease the sides).
  • In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment (this is the one I have), beat 6 large eggs for 1 minute on high speed. With the mixer on, gradually add 1 cup sugar and continue beating 8-10 minutes until thick and fluffy.
  • Whisk together 1 cup flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder then sift this mixture into fluffy egg mixture one third at a time. Fold with a spatula with each addition just until incorporated. Scrape spatula from the bottom to catch any pockets of flour and stop mixing when no streaks of flour remain. Do not over-mix or you will deflate the batter.
  • Divide evenly between prepared cake pans (it helps if you have a kitchen scale to weight the pans). Bake at 350˚F for 23-28 minutes (my oven took 25 min), or until top is golden brown. Remove from pan by sliding a thin spatula (here’s the one I love for cakes) around the edges then transfer to a wire rack and remove parchment backing. Cool cakes to room temperature then slice layers equally in half with a serrated knife.

Hint - if you think you may want to use this in the future - hover over the post number in the top-right corner, right click and select "copy link address". Then open a new browser tab, paste the link and hit enter.
When the post has loaded, bookmark it for future reference. 

I have a folder marked "Recipes" where I drop links to different recipes I may want to try. Ended up with so many I had to create sub-folders to sort them all. Pork, Chicken, Beef, Breads, Soups, Desserts, Sauces, Miscellaneous, German, Italian, Chinese, Seafood (ect ect).

I'll end up with a bunch of recipes for the same thing and try some of them. Some I'll keep, some I'll delete. Sheesh, at one point in early February I was baking loaves of bread every day as I tried different recipes (and tried to figure out why none of them were "rising" they way they used to).

Ended up with a lot of "heavy" bread. Worked OK when eating stews and curries though !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SidJames said:

Could you post about not having very annoying pop-ups & maybe they will go away.

It's getting hard to use this site comfortably while asking for cake

Q\=Download 'AdBlock', works a treat. and its free