Boy George on why he didn’t play Live Aid: “I was engaged chemically”

snoop1130

Boy George on why he didn’t play Live Aid: “I was engaged chemically”

By Nick Reilly

boygeorge-696x442.jpg

Boy George (Picture: Getty)

Boy George has revealed why he didn’t perform at Live Aid, 35 years after the iconic charity concert.

The Culture Club singer, 58, says he didn’t take to the stage at the Wembley Stadium show because he was “otherwise engaged chemically”.

“I messed it up. I was otherwise engaged chemically,” he told the Grounded with Louis Theroux podcast.

“I mean, I think it was a stroke of luck that we didn’t do it because I wasn’t in a fit state to do it.”

Full Story: https://www.nme.com/news/music/boy-george-on-why-he-didnt-play-live-aid-i-was-engaged-chemically-2658944

• Haha 2

He had a few seasons as a judge/coach on The Voice in Australia.   Comes across as a very humble, decent, kind and well adjusted person.  They get enough exposure that they can't fully disguise their true selves, and most of the judges come across as right prats.

He really had a seachange some years back when he confronted his drug and alcohol use/misuse. It was beautiful to witness his journey back home to himself and let go of the self-medication and self abuse. His ascension to a sober life was inspirational.