Kindle can't connect

mixed

I'm having trouble with a Kindle that was given to me several years ago, not sure of the exact model. It can connect to Wi-Fi and I can search Google,  but when I try the Amazon store I get the message "Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time....etc."

Originally it was registered to someone else, I've since deregistered. When I try to register my own Amazon account I get the message "The email address and password you entered do not match any accounts on record", however I'm able to log in on my PC no problem.

Also when trying to register ""Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time....etc.", which is strange because it appeared to be able to check my email/password.

Is it possible to buy from Amazon on my PC then upload to the Kindle?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edited by mixed

It may be that your Kindle is still registered to the previous owner and the previous owner needs to log on to their account and deregister it before  you can re register, if that makes sense.  However, I have not yet had one Kindle that lasts much more than 3 to 4 years, so it may have just gone past its useful life.

Thanks. It appears to work fine. I've connected with my PC and can see all the files. I am also able to buy Kindle books from Amazon on my PC. Can I buy on my PC then upload? Or would the Kindle file be stuck on my PC?

6 minutes ago, mixed said:

Thanks. It appears to work fine. I've connected with my PC and can see all the files. I am also able to buy Kindle books from Amazon on my PC. Can I buy on my PC then upload? Or would the Kindle file be stuck on my PC?

In your Amazon account, go to 'Manage my Kindle' and ask it to deliver to your device, that should work, provided the device is registered,  If it is, it will appear on the list. 

Edited by Pilotman

After some research I've found it will connect to wi-fi but not Amazon as a software was missed several years ago. I don't know what Amazon did this or why they make it so hard to find the source of the problem. Like so much with these devices it's about control and you never really own them.

Now I am trying to download the update. Does anyone know how to find out exactly which Kindle model I'm using?