Haven't been able to open a bank account - "hai lis cantli"

The rules of the banking system of Cambodia haven't been revised in decades. I'm russian. They won't permit me to open an account, in Abba and Canadia, because "lasha hai lis". High risk country.  As well as Cuba, Iran, North Korea and some others. Yes, 20-30 years ago I wouldn't been sirprised if russia had been one the list. But now? Given the fact that Cambodia itself is a 3rd world corrupted country.

In other banks in Cambodia -- I don't know, possibly the same thing. In other countries that allow to open a bank account to most foreigners I've not had any problem being russian.

Therefore, it's the thing of Cambodia.

Abba would open me an account, they said, if I had a job here and in addition would provide them with some documents and I swear I'm a nice guy. Yet, a limited account. Those documents aren't needed for other nations.

Is there a workaround? Are there other banks that have less of scrutiny?

Edited by dastakantattaka

24 minutes ago, dastakantattaka said:

Abba would open me an account, they said, if I had a job here and in addition would provide them with some documents and I swear I'm a nice guy. Yet, a limited account. Those documents aren't needed for other nations.

Well, I doubt you could walk into a US bank as a Russian and open an account.

And actually many Thai banks now require a work permit, apartment rental agreement, and other documents prior to opening an account.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, I doubt you could walk into a US bank as a Russian and open an account.

You may doubt whatever you want.

Not only can I do that in the US with no problem. I can do that in the countries where a US citizen would be turned around, because of FATCA.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

And actually many Thai banks now require a work permit, apartment rental agreement, and other documents prior to opening an account.

My question isn't about requirements.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, dastakantattaka said:

Not only can I do that in the US with no problem.

Are not they ask for a social security number or a tax number? Being a US citizen, I don't know how to open an account withut a ss number. Everytime I apply online they ask for one. 

Edited by Mulambana

27 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Are not they ask for a social security number or a tax number? Being a US citizen, I don't know how to open an account withut a ss number. Everytime I apply online they ask for one. 

Tax Identification Number is enough for non citizens.

22 hours ago, Mulambana said:

By obtaining one of those and then opening an account.

Off topic and flaming/baiting posts have been removed.

Canadia is usually about as loose/open as they come.

ABA requires of everyone, regardless of nationality, either a work contract of 6 or more months duration or a long term visa (6 months or more), and this is pretty standard.

What type of visa do you have and do you have a long term rental?

• Like 1