foreigners with Thai work permit stranded abroad

11 minutes ago, Slip said:

There would now seem to be a mechanism in place to work out extensions of stay: 

Only a mention of work permits being extended. Nothing about extensions of stay. 

I cannot see how they could do anything about extensions if you are outside the country.

They could though do something to make it easier to get a new non-b visa before returning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only a mention of work permit being extended. Nothing about extensions of stay. 

Oh. That is disappointing, but thanks.  It seems odd though that they would extend the work permit without the extension of stay, but then odd things happen here. 

9 minutes ago, Slip said:

Oh. That is disappointing, but thanks.  It seems odd though that they would extend the work permit without the extension of stay, but then odd things happen here. 

Work permits are not tied to a permit to stay.

Having a copy of a valid one would help you to get a new non-b visa before returning.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Work permits are not tied to a permit to stay.

Having a copy of a valid one would help you to get a new non-b visa before returning.

i think they are connected, date of visa expiration is same date as Work Permit.

10 hours ago, luk AJ said:

i think they are connected, date of visa expiration is same date as Work Permit.

Not always. For example when a person gets a non-b visa and has a 90 day entry from it a work permit is issued for one year.

When a one year extension is applied for a valid work permit is required but it would not always be valid for year since it had to be  issued prior to the extension application.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

Only a mention of work permits being extended. Nothing about extensions of stay. 

I cannot see how they could do anything about extensions if you are outside the country.

They could though do something to make it easier to get a new non-b visa before returning.

Sorry I am a bit lost in this tread. If someone with a work permit expiring in June and is currently outside Thailand and cannot enter, can the work permit be extended/ renewed? of course all the needed documents, etc all expect the person not being in the country. 

8 minutes ago, Wilson Smith said:

Sorry I am a bit lost in this tread. If someone with a work permit expiring in June and is currently outside Thailand and cannot enter, can the work permit be extended/ renewed? of course all the needed documents, etc all expect the person not being in the country. 

In theory yes. I can recall a post by a member whose employer was able to get their work permit extended while they were outside the country.

At this time it would not matter since it not possible for anybody to enter the country unless they are Thai on a repatriation flight.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

In theory yes. I can recall a post by a member whose employer was able to get their work permit extended while they were outside the country.

At this time it would not matter since it not possible for anybody to enter the country unless they are Thai on a repatriation flight.

I saw that persons comment and honestly it is hard to know if it is true as the labor dept told me that it is not possible. As I know they rule to be if you cannot return and the work permit expires that it still needs to be canceled to avoid a penalty. In theroy it is not the biggest deal to cancel and start the process over however as an international assign and a signature, the legal team is mention that getting payment without a work permit is a internal compliance issue. I really would like to know if anyone has really been able to renew the wp without being in Thailand. Thanks.