Could Not Pay MEA Electric Bill

MMan

Got my monthly bill Tuesday (big bill this month staying at home and it being hot season).   Every time I try to pay it online I just get a message to contact the provider.  Tried many times to call MEA at their customer service phone number, but only get messages that the line is not available, get a busy signal, or get a message to call back another time.  I then tried to pay it at Bangkok bank - the bank teller said their system would not accept it, and her supervisor then told me I needed to go to the MEA Office (the bill is NOT past due).  Went there today, but the sign on the window said the payment office is only open from 9 am - 3 pm (it was 3:15).

Next I went to my condo juristic office to see if they knew why I have not been able to pay it.  First the woman there told me to pay at 7 Eleven, but I don't think they can take it if the bank cannot.  Then she told me I don't have to pay it this month because the government is helping.

Does anyone actually know the facts of what is going on and can enlighten me?

There are deep discounts in process for PEA users which are causing "problems" when trying to pay. I see no reason why MEA are not doing the same.

If really worried head down to your local MEA office on Monday.

• Like 2

Yes,bills are being recalculated, due to the discounts. I have had the same issue but I believe the bills should be adjusted (down) and you should be able to pay your new (slightly lower) bill from 12th this month. 
from my understanding they will not send out new bills, just bring your old one.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

There are deep discounts in process for PEA users which are causing "problems" when trying to pay. I see no reason why MEA are not doing the same.

If really worried head down to your local MEA office on Monday.

My wife just paid her PEA bill for last month through the app, down from 1,740 to 1,145 same as February's bill amount.

UPDATE:  Was able to pay my MEA electric bill today (online via Bangkok Bank ibanking).  The recalculated amount after the revised government credit was about 900 THB less than the original bill.  ????

• Thanks 1

I just paid with us credit card, zero fee..saved about 500..even with inverter..well done MEA!, just makes me wonder if they simply didn't know how easy it would have been to not give the break to farang, by flagging foreigner yellowbook/ID numbers.  Service is pretty darn good near the cities, anyways, which is almost suprising based on the wiring you frequently see.

MEA app finally updated with billing info on Wed. 5/13. I was able to pay bill w/ Bangkok Bank app by manually entering account number. Discount was ~900 THB. Better than the proverbial poke in the eye with a sharp stick, I suppose.

• 7 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 5:08 PM, moontang said:

I just paid with us credit card, zero fee

How did you do it @moontang? I was using Counter Service Pay for ~1 year, but since last month both the web and app versions repeatedly produced an empty error screen at the end. Emailing and messaging Counter Service has gotten noone to look into it.

7 minutes ago, landosmiles said:

How did you do it @moontang? I was using Counter Service Pay for ~1 year, but since last month both the web and app versions repeatedly produced an empty error screen at the end. Emailing and messaging Counter Service has gotten noone to look into it.

It seems like it has gone back and forth as to which one works with us cc. Inconsistent pricing, too.  Today, I used the first one, then had to select bank.. Gave a list of Thai banks.. I just skipped it, and paid with BBL for free. I also noticed that it is more difficult on the day you get the bill.. If you wait a day, it seems more ready to accept your US cc. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 6:17 PM, moontang said:

It seems like it has gone back and forth as to which one works with us cc. Inconsistent pricing, too.  Today, I used the first one, then had to select bank..

Thanks. Sorry, what service(s) other than Counter Service have you used to pay electric with a foreign credit card, @moontang?

I know I can pay with a Thai bank but I'm hoping to use my US credit card.

Since December I've been receiving a broken/empty Counter Service error screen on the web and in their app after submitting a payment with a US credit card. Emailing and Facebook-contacting Counter Service has gotten me no help. Thanks. 

• 2 years later...

Sorry, what service(s) other than Counter Service have you used to pay electric with a foreign credit card, @moontang?

Update for anyone who stumbles on this thread via search - both MEA and CounterServicePay confirmed that at least as of 2024, only Thai credit cards can be used to pay MEA bills. 😥 TrueWallet also doesn't allow credit card as payment source.

If anyone finds a way to pay MEA bills with foreign credit cards please let me know! 🙏

Edited by landosmiles