Customs

Marshy

I have just read that anyone traveling to Thailand can bring with them 1 carton of cigeretts and only one bottle of their favorite wine (or spirits). However I can bring as much money as I please-----Geeeezzzz. Is this still true? :o

I don't know if it's gone from 2 to 1 carton but a friend tried to bring in 4 at the Aranyapratet crossing, he was detained by immigration and ordered to pay a fine of 12,000 baht, needless to say he didn't have it with him. He tried to surrender the cigarette’s but they weren't having that and insisted he pay the fine or face a few days behind bars until somebody paid for him

Lucky for him an employee from Mr Boon travel (soi post office Pattaya) managed to spring him by telling immigration he came to Aranyapratet daily and would hold my friends passport until he paid and then bring the money himself the following day.

Maybe it's a good idea not to bother bringing any duty free

What is the problem?

Duty and tax free allowance for own use is:

200 cigarettes or 250 g cigars or 250 g tobacco, 1 litre wine or spirits.

This is for passengers entering Thailand. This limitation must not be execeeded, means you are not allowed to bring more, even if you declare it.

If you bring more and do not declare it is an offence of laws and may result in fines or imprisonment, or both.

Tufty, if your friend was caught with 3 cartons over the limit, means he tried to smuggle them in.

12000 Baht fine means Baht 20 fine per cigarette, believe this is within the standard you would have to pay in Europe, if caught, as well.

Marshy, candy bars? :o I see no problem, as long as it is obbviously for own use.

In my own experience the Thai customs is among the most lenient for tourists. They don't care that much, as long as you do not appear to smuggle commercially.

Forgot to say Marshy, you are free to bring in as much money as you want, should you wish, however, to take it out again, better declare it.

I am not sure at the moment, believe the max. you can take out is Baht 50,000. If you have more in your pocket show the customs slip confirming that you brought it in.

But than, why not spend it all :D:o Everybody can help you with this.

ciggies and booze are cheap enough not to need to bring it in anyway. :o

I'm not a smoker, so cannot really comment, but what happens on most visa runs to Aryanprathet is that the smkers can get different brands to those easily available in LOS. (As I understand it). Thus the attempt to bring in enough to last until the next visa run.

Up2U you hit the nail on the head, as the saying goes. I do smoke and like to, as long as it is CAMEL without filter, which are not available in LOS. The rules are clear, 200 cigarettes you can bring in. Officially, you cannot import, I am not the importer for Camels and will not get an import licence which is required to clear tobacco-items. So contrary to some states in the EU, for example, even willing to pay for duty and tax, no go.

Solutions. Stop smoking

change brand

travel more often

ask friends.

No idea about Aryanprathet, but BKK-airport. 2 cartons will not give you problems (don't quote me), perhaps a raised finger 'next time only one!'

To enable you to take the money out again without fuss, any amount exceeding $US 10,000 or equivalent must be declared on the way into Thailand.

Hi Doc,

Please clarify, can i take just under the amount $US 10,000 (equilivent in THB)out of Thailand,

without having decalared it upon arrival here ?

To enable you to take the money out again without fuss, any amount exceeding $US 10,000 or equivalent must be declared on the way into Thailand.

Hi Doc,

Please clarify, can i take just under the amount $US 10,000 (equilivent in THB)out of Thailand,

You may be questioned about carrying US $ 9,900.- through Customs, but as long as you can establish that you brought more in to Thailand, have not worked without a Work Permit and have paid all taxes on money earned legitimately, I see no problem.

May be better to spend the money on a very heavy gold necklace or chain and wear that. Shouldbe able to get back at least the money you paid for it. (Or is this illegal?)

Hi Doc,

As long as it is under 10,000 USD or equivalent you should be fine.

Hi Doc,

As long as it is under 10,000 USD or equivalent you should be fine.

Bingo thats me O extension 400.000bt sorted then. (can not proove that money i brought in last time was indeed from overseas other than it was all deposited into Thai bank the following day when i arrived)

so now i leave go back uk for a few days open a new bank account deposit monies get statement withdrawl and come back Los.

UptoU thanks for input ,

Problem was that the monies i brought in cant be proven is that i have a business in UK which is a very much indeed cash in hand operation (totally legit)

and cant deposit and take from business account as is running on overdraft and has been for many years.

many thanks.