The Covid19 Voluntary Tracking App Starts Tomorrow

NCC1701A

Richard Barrow is reporting the app launches tomorrow. 

I can't link to twitter but Richard has a video from the Thai Covid19 Task Force with the details in English. 

All part of Thailand 4.0.  

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, connda said:

Mrs Connda will no doubt download the app.
Mr Connda will no doubt remove the app before taking the Mrs shopping considering the Mrs doesn't drive.

If the Mrs wants to spend 14 days in quarantine because she came within 2 meters of a Covid-carrier according to a tracking app - fine.  The Thai government pays for it.  Have a nice solitary vacation.

However, the Thai government doesn't pay for Khun Farang's quarantine. 

If the Mrs really, really wants that app, I'm guessing she'll need to find a new chauffeur. 

"But, but, that app saves lives!!!"
No it doesn't.  It creates fear, and for farangs, it creates the potential of significant monetary loss.  Tracking apps ain't a happening in the Connda family. 

For those who want that app on their phones?  Let us all know how that works out for ya'll.  Include a copy of the receipt for your

incarceration quarantine.  :whistling:

will your opinion remain the same when it becomes mandatory to have the app to enter most places ? 

• Thanks 1

Rumour has it some people have two phones.... 'nuff said.

Voluntary? How long before voluntary becomes compulsory?

Not sure it's legal to track someone.... invasion of privacy, civil rights and all that? But this is Thailand!

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Rumour has it some people have two phones.... 'nuff said.

Voluntary? How long before voluntary becomes compulsory?

Not sure it's legal to track someone.... invasion of privacy, civil rights and all that? But this is Thailand!

i think during a state of emergency they can do whatever they want. 

at home pro today i was first asked for my phone number. i am in their system because i am a member. the membership application has my full name, address and passport number. the people next to me were not members and had to supply their names and i am not sure what else. maybe PP or drivers license. Maybe just their phone number so they can be called. 

if for some reason they really needed to find me, CCTV at the mall would track me back to the Bat scooter and record my license plate number on exiting.   

of course because i am super cool i now have a "1 Card" and a "M Card" that gets swiped even if I pay cash. 

There is no way for me to return home without being watched by dozens of cameras.    

18 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i think during a state of emergency they can do whatever they want. 

at home pro today i was first asked for my phone number. i am in their system because i am a member. the membership application has my full name, address and passport number. the people next to me were not members and had to supply their names and i am not sure what else. maybe PP or drivers license. Maybe just their phone number so they can be called. 

if for some reason they really needed to find me, CCTV at the mall would track me back to the Bat scooter and record my license plate number on exiting.   

of course because i am super cool i now have a "1 Card" and a "M Card" that gets swiped even if I pay cash. 

There is no way for me to return home without being watched by dozens of cameras.   

Such is the price for being a Hollywood star eh.

But yeah, with the Thai being paranoid about security we can look forward to more of this. Thank God George Orwell’s book has not been translated into Thai.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I can't link to twitter but Richard has a video from the Thai Covid19 Task Force with the details in English.

You can link to Richard Barrow's Twitter.

Forum Rule 18 states:

Social Media content is not to be used as source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube  etc.) should always be shown.

Thai Visa Forum recognises Richard as an excellent source of news and information for all things Thailand.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I'm not keen on this invasion of privacy and micro monitoring from the state to control a "virus". If Thailand goes down the route of doing tracking bracelets and app on phone, then it's over for me!

https://www.businessinsider.com/hong-kong-has-tracking-bracelets-to-enforce-coronavirus-quarantine-2020-4?r=US&IR=T&fbclid=IwAR3ZULN0J3iLTlJc1sRYH0CNMEGyZgSnaHVkJaJ6jnHcQZphLHLFp7uOu3E

People will rebel. I can be naughty by nature. The imagination runs riot at what I would do with their bracelet.

I have enough trouble having some extra curricular nookie without Lady Roadrunner finding out. I swear the female of the species have Radar.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, champers said:

I suppose most people's instinct is to take their custom elsewhere but if all the big supermarkets, malls and 7/11s insist on it what then?

At some point you have to accept that this virus is not going for some time, it may come back, maybe less severe or more severe. All this red tape and micro managing/monitoring is only possible in the short term, economies cannot standstill for years.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Not sure it's legal to track someone....

invasion of privacy, civil rights and all that?

But this is Thailand!

Sure... as if Thailand was the only country using such app !

Must be about 20 countries already using or willing to use such app...

including some western countries...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_apps#Countries_with_official_contact_tracing_apps

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

At some point you have to accept that this virus is not going for some time, it may come back, maybe less severe or more severe. All this red tape and micro managing/monitoring is only possible in the short term, economies cannot standstill for years.

Fair point if tracking devices are only deployed during the duration of the virus, however long that may be. The HK example you give seems altogether more sinister to me; especially so if it is used after the pandemic is done. On the Chinese mainland there is widespread use of CCTV to monitor citizens and has been long before Covid19. It's a control freak's wet dream.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

All part of Thailand 4.0

Oh, no. That does not bode well for the new app if it is going to work like some other things we have seen paraded under the banner of Thailand 4.0.

51 minutes ago, champers said:

Fair point if tracking devices are only deployed during the duration of the virus, however long that may be. The HK example you give seems altogether more sinister to me; especially so if it is used after the pandemic is done. On the Chinese mainland there is widespread use of CCTV to monitor citizens and has been long before Covid19. It's a control freak's wet dream.

Exactly, it is a control freak's wet dream, unfortunately this is an excuse just to roll out this monitoring and have my doubts if it will be rolled back. China has the most CCTV monitoring of it's citizens in the world, including QR codes to check in and even restaurants knowing a customers favourites dishes when they enter the premises.

The wristbands are no different to tags put on criminals, these are places I won't be visiting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

Mrs Connda will no doubt download the app.
Mr Connda will no doubt remove the app before taking the Mrs shopping considering the Mrs doesn't drive.

If the Mrs wants to spend 14 days in quarantine because she came within 2 meters of a Covid-carrier according to a tracking app - fine.  The Thai government pays for it.  Have a nice solitary vacation.

Thailand has 112 (reported) active cases.... whats the chances of one of those 112 having the app as well and you or the missus coming with 2m of them ?

Does the app function if you turn off location on the phone ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Thailand has 112 (reported) active cases.... whats the chances of one of those 112 having the app as well and you or the missus coming with 2m of them ?

Does the app function if you turn off location on the phone ?

Some of the apps are bluetooth and these will run smart phone batteries down very quickly. Most are GPS, but when you turn this function off, then you can't use maps. Tbh, don't even need GPS most of the time, drains battery too, just turned it off 55.

Edited by tribalfusion001

Apparently, they didn't get enough compliance with this rollout. So, they've come up with a new tracking app.

The government will require shops to get a QR code that will be placed at the entrance to their shops. Shoppers will be required to use a new app to read the QR code upon entering and leaving the shops. 

This is so the government can notify people if they were at a shop during the time that a COVID positive person was there. ????????

Don't worry about your privacy. The government assures us that they will be the only people with access to your whereabouts .... ????

Edited by Curt1591
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

These apps will apparently work using Bluetooth to detect other phones close by
so even if you do not install the app yourself
if you have Bluetooth switched ON and are within range of someone that does have the app
your device can be logged by IMEI
this then can be used to see SIM card which has your identity attached

Android and Apple are also implementing a tracking app directly into OS
Apple already has it in latest Beta
it shows it as optional (can be switched off)
but i expect it would soon be compulsory in later updates (hidden or with no on/off switch)

Anyone interested in a non Google or Apple mobile OS that does not track or send data
can checkout https://e.foundation/

The big question i always have is
Why do they like to inconvenience everyone ?

If you wonder why i ask this, its simple,
they can do all this tracking, without the need to stop people, fill out forms, provide details, scan this scan that, etc.
it can all be quite easily done today, we have had the tech for years
the same goes for how we are living
even without the current situation
we were already on track to
work at home more
be less social
stay indoors more
home delivery for everything
and many people already chipping themselves

So why are we being forced (through fear) to do what we were already about to do?
and why make life one big inconvenience for the masses?

You know that feeling when you are about to do something
and someone TELLS you to do it as you are midway in the process.......

Edited by innosiem

You can look at your Google Maps travel history.  I did and noticed that it did not differentiate between my walking past a building and actually going inside.  Unless the app can somehow get phones to identify who's phone has been within 2 meters of yours, the data produced by the app will be of limited use, to say the least.

36 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

You can look at your Google Maps travel history.  I did and noticed that it did not differentiate between my walking past a building and actually going inside.  Unless the app can somehow get phones to identify who's phone has been within 2 meters of yours, the data produced by the app will be of limited use, to say the least.

The contact tracing apps will also use Bluetooth (i have not checked this for Thai app)
they will log all devices that come into bluetooth range (10m)
Apple produced iBeacon which is bluetooth based in 2013 that does this
they simply install ibeacon on phones (tracing apps)
and each device will be able to know its proximity to another device

"iBeacon is based on Bluetooth low energy proximity sensing by transmitting a universally unique identifier[4] picked up by a compatible app or operating system. The identifier and several bytes sent with it can be used to determine the device's physical location,[5] track customers, or trigger a location-based action on the device such as a check-in on social media or a push notification."

iBeacon

This is why if your bluetooth is ON even if you do not have the app
your device will also be logged if you come within range of someone that has the app installed
as their device will detect yours and log the IMEI number
they can then reference that against current or last used SIM
from which your ID is associated.

Edited by innosiem

2 hours ago, innosiem said:

The contact tracing apps will also use Bluetooth (i have not checked this for Thai app)
they will log all devices that come into bluetooth range (10m)
Apple produced iBeacon which is bluetooth based in 2013 that does this
they simply install ibeacon on phones (tracing apps)
and each device will be able to know its proximity to another device

"iBeacon is based on Bluetooth low energy proximity sensing by transmitting a universally unique identifier[4] picked up by a compatible app or operating system. The identifier and several bytes sent with it can be used to determine the device's physical location,[5] track customers, or trigger a location-based action on the device such as a check-in on social media or a push notification."

iBeacon

This is why if your bluetooth is ON even if you do not have the app
your device will also be logged if you come within range of someone that has the app installed
as their device will detect yours and log the IMEI number
they can then reference that against current or last used SIM
from which your ID is associated.

I never have bluetooth on, I don't use bluetooth speakers or bluetooth earphones, plus the battey drain it has on smartphones.