Receiving Prescriptions from USA

jonnit

I am retired from the US Army and I am able to receive all my prescriptions delivered to my home while in the US. Has anyone in Thailand with Tricare home delivery been able to received their prescriptions while in Thailand. If so, what was the procedure? Will the embassy, or JUSMAG receive shipments for you and pass them along, if not able to receive home delivery?

Remember that it is illegal to import medications by mail without an FDA license (which you as an individual will not get).  Often regular mail items will not be checked but you are the one taking the chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I thought that JUSMAG ended the APO privileges for military retirees in Thailand a couple of years ago.

If this is correct then a commercial mail forwarder such as Shipito is the OP's only option 

https://www.shipito.com/en/

They will refuse to send medication of any type, as I learned the hard way. Even simple things sold over the counter in US, they will not ship. Ditto any type of supplement.

It is technically illegal to receive any pharmaceutical product from abroad unless you have a Thai FDA import permit which you cannot get. In practice Thai customs usually allow through small packages if sent by regular post. However,  international airmail service is currently disrupted.

OP there are inexpensive Thai made generics for many medications. which may cost less than shipping fees for free meds from the US. And most do nto require a prescription. Suggest oyu list out what these medications are.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 1:38 AM, Sheryl said:

They will refuse to send medication of any type, as I learned the hard way. Even simple things sold over the counter in US, they will not ship. Ditto any type of supplement.

It is technically illegal to receive any pharmaceutical product from abroad unless you have a Thai FDA import permit which you cannot get. In practice Thai customs usually allow through small packages if sent by regular post. However,  international airmail service is currently disrupted.

OP there are inexpensive Thai made generics for many medications. which may cost less than shipping fees for free meds from the US. And most do nto require a prescription. Suggest oyu list out what these medications are.

I have purchased many locally OTC in Thailand before, but now we have some prescriptions I'm more concerned about for both cost and availability. In particular is Janumet (sitagliptin and metformin HCI) and Eliquis (apixaban) for my wife and for me Crestor (rosuvastatin), and Toprol XL (metoprolol succinate) for each of us.  On our last trip I brought in a 9 months supply of all our meds and got them in without a problem. I'm not sure I could do that again. Further, I cannot build up extra Eliquis for my wife due to her having to check in with the anti-coagulation clinic every 30 days. Then she gets only one 30 day supply. Most of our meds are prescribed for 90 days with 3 refills and I am allowed to refill them every 65 days allowing me to build a supply. We have a house in Thailand and would possibly stay there, but for the cost of meds. About 15-20 years ago we only had 1 med to buy (gabapentin) and I recall it being a little pricey at that time. Seems they only had Pfizer in blister packs of 10 in Amnat Charoen. Anyway, here is out list of meds and thanks for the info you provided.

NAME DOSAGE HOW
Toprol (metoprolol succinate) 25 mg 1/2 Nightly
Lisinopril 20 mg 1 Daily
Crestor (Rosuvastatin Calcium) 40 mg 1 Nightly
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 600 mg 1 3xDaily
Aspirin 81 mg 1 Daily
Alfuzosin (Uroxatral) 10 mg 1 Nightly
Vitamin D3 400 IU 1 2xDaily
Finasteride (Proscar eq)  5 mg 1 Daily
Supplements    
CoQ10 100 mg 1 Daily
Multivitamin 65+   1 Daily

NAME DOSAGE HOW
Lipitor (Atorvastatin) 40 mg 1 Daily
Synthroid 88 mcg 1 Daily
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 600 mg 2 3xDaily
Elevil (Amitriptyline) 50 mg Nightly
B12 1000 mcg 1 Daily
Janumet (sitagliptin and metformin HCI) 50/1000  1 2xDaily
Toprol (metoprolol succinate) 50 mg 1 Daily
Precision xtra Test Strips   1 Daily
Lancets   1 Daily
Calcium Carb w/Vit D3 600 mg 1 2xDaily
Apixaban (Elequis) 5 mg 2 Daily
Supplements    
Glucosamine Ch MSM 1500 mg 2 Daily
Multi Vitamin 65+   1 Daily
COQ10   2 Daily

On 5/16/2020 at 12:38 PM, Sheryl said:

They will refuse to send medication of any type

Depends on your re-mailer, never had a problem with Shipito , they were more than happy to forward my "vitamins" to Thailand, since I filled out the Customs Form 

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

Depends on your re-mailer, never had a problem with Shipito , they were more than happy to forward my "vitamins" to Thailand, since I filled out the Customs Form 

Shipitto is exactly who aI had a problem with. Absolutely refused to ship and threatened to destroy the package. I had to complain to the BBB and that wss just to get them to agree to ship to a US address rather than destroy. For simple aluminum hydroxide (same thing as Maalox) which they wrongly coded as a nutritional supplement and which is an OTC med in the US.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jonnit said:

I have purchased many locally OTC in Thailand before, but now we have some prescriptions I'm more concerned about for both cost and availability. In particular is Janumet (sitagliptin and metformin HCI) and Eliquis (apixaban) for my wife and for me Crestor (rosuvastatin), and Toprol XL (metoprolol succinate) for each of us.  On our last trip I brought in a 9 months supply of all our meds and got them in without a problem. I'm not sure I could do that again. Further, I cannot build up extra Eliquis for my wife due to her having to check in with the anti-coagulation clinic every 30 days. Then she gets only one 30 day supply. Most of our meds are prescribed for 90 days with 3 refills and I am allowed to refill them every 65 days allowing me to build a supply. We have a house in Thailand and would possibly stay there, but for the cost of meds. About 15-20 years ago we only had 1 med to buy (gabapentin) and I recall it being a little pricey at that time. Seems they only had Pfizer in blister packs of 10 in Amnat Charoen. Anyway, here is out list of meds and thanks for the info you provided.

NAME DOSAGE HOW
Toprol (metoprolol succinate) 25 mg 1/2 Nightly
Lisinopril 20 mg 1 Daily
Crestor (Rosuvastatin Calcium) 40 mg 1 Nightly
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 600 mg 1 3xDaily
Aspirin 81 mg 1 Daily
Alfuzosin (Uroxatral) 10 mg 1 Nightly
Vitamin D3 400 IU 1 2xDaily
Finasteride (Proscar eq)  5 mg 1 Daily
Supplements    
CoQ10 100 mg 1 Daily
Multivitamin 65+   1 Daily

NAME DOSAGE HOW
Lipitor (Atorvastatin) 40 mg 1 Daily
Synthroid 88 mcg 1 Daily
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 600 mg 2 3xDaily
Elevil (Amitriptyline) 50 mg Nightly
B12 1000 mcg 1 Daily
Janumet (sitagliptin and metformin HCI) 50/1000  1 2xDaily
Toprol (metoprolol succinate) 50 mg 1 Daily
Precision xtra Test Strips   1 Daily
Lancets   1 Daily
Calcium Carb w/Vit D3 600 mg 1 2xDaily
Apixaban (Elequis) 5 mg 2 Daily
Supplements    
Glucosamine Ch MSM 1500 mg 2 Daily
Multi Vitamin 65+   1 Daily
COQ10   2 Daily

Janumet and Eliquios are available only in imported brand name and will be very expensive.

Metoprolo, gabapentin, levothyroxin,  atorvastatin, aspirin, amitryptilline, lisinopril,  and rosuvastatin are all available in locally made forms. It would be worth your while to travel to a pharmacy selling generics in bulk - where do you live? (Never buy from Boots or  Watsons, they carry only expensive imports and limited range)

Alfuzosin is also available only in expensive import however most people taking this will do just as well on doxazosin which is available in local generic form, ask your doctor if you can switch )note that doses are nto exactly equivalent0

For the supplements, bets to get online, check out www.lazada.com  iHerb is even cheapoer but packages nto getting through at present

I take it you are not covered by Tricare? As if you are, can get reimbursed for pharmacy purchases here, people have done it

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Janumet and Eliquios are available only in imported brand name and will be very expensive.

Metoprolo, gabapentin, levothyroxin,  atorvastatin, aspirin, amitryptilline, lisinopril,  and rosuvastatin are all available in locally made forms. It would be worth your while to travel to a pharmacy selling generics in bulk - where do you live? (Never buy from Boots or  Watsons, they carry only expensive imports and limited range)

Alfuzosin is also available only in expensive import however most people taking this will do just as well on doxazosin which is available in local generic form, ask your doctor if you can switch )note that doses are nto exactly equivalent0

For the supplements, bets to get online, check out www.lazada.com  iHerb is even cheapoer but packages nto getting through at present

I take it you are not covered by Tricare? As if you are, can get reimbursed for pharmacy purchases here, people have done it

Thanks Sheryl - I've been a member of Thaivisa for many years and although I seldom post I do read every day. One thing I always assume is that if it's a question about immigration, Ubonjoe is going to supply the info. If it's medical, I always look for your response.

Yes, that's great news about Tricare. My wife and I are covered by Tricare For Life. I will do some research to have everything I need before coming back. If they had a good hospital nearby we would very likely stay. However, the government hospital in Amnat Charoen really failed me on our trip in 2018-2019, but that's another story.

Our house is close to Amnat and I don't think they have a Boots, or Watsons, but I do know where the largest and least expensive supplier is located in Amnat. Or, we could travel about either 75 km north to Mukdahon, or south to Ubon.

I will check with the doctor about switching to doxazosin.

When I started taking Alfuzosin and Finasteride about 10 years ago the doctor wanted to give me Flomax instead of those two, but it was not on the formulary to be prescribed. Now, I'm not sure I want to stop the Finasteride while I still have a full head of hair at almost 76.

Again, thanks for your helpful response.