THAI brings home 204 nationals stranded in South Korea

rooster59

THAI brings home 204 nationals stranded in South Korea

By THE NATION

800_4513ad5018f760b.jpg

Thai Airways International (THAI) organised a chartered flight to pick up Thais stranded in South Korea, Squadron Leader Anirut Saengrit, director of the airline's Operations Control Centre, said on Saturday (May 16).

“The plane departed from Seoul on [Friday] May 15 at 9pm [local time] and reached Bangkok past midnight of Saturday,” he said. “Most of the 204 passengers were Thais who where stranded in South Korea due to the local government’s lockdown measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19, while some had flown in from the United States to catch a connecting flight to Thailand.”

ภาพประกอบข่าว TG071(5).jpg

Anirut added that the airline has enforced strict measures for the safety of passengers and staff to reduce transmission risk, including maintaining physical distancing from checking-in until disembarking.

“All foods were served in disposable boxes to reduce contact between staff and passengers, while all staff were told to wear face masks and face fields, gloves, and closely monitor the symptoms of passengers throughout the flight,” he added.

ภาพประกอบข่าว TG071(1).jpg

“THAI will continue its missions to bring home Thais stranded in other countries until the Covid-19 crisis is over,” Anirut said. “It is our proud mission of being a national carrier for over 60 years.”

South Korea is among the four terrotories that have just recently been removed from the Public Health Ministry’s list of high-risk places for Covid-19, along with China, Hong Kong and Macau.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387977

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-17

800_4513ad5018f760b.jpg

Until all Thai's are repatriated back to Thailand who wish to be brought home, I do not see CAAT, or the Thai Government allowing any international flights to come in from anywhere else that would be carrying foreign passengers from another country.  It makes me wonder about those with Families here who are stuck on the outside.  It would truly be nice if they made an attempt for the Thai people who have foreign spouses or children who are of a foreign nationality the ability to bring them home as well.  But then I do not see the Thai government doing much for the people as it stands already.  I have to wonder what the cost of these repatriation flights is costing and whether or not those returning are having to reimburse  the government or had to pay up front....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Until all Thai's are repatriated back to Thailand who wish to be brought home, I do not see CAAT, or the Thai Government allowing any international flights to come in from anywhere else that would be carrying foreign passengers from another country.  It makes me wonder about those with Families here who are stuck on the outside.  It would truly be nice if they made an attempt for the Thai people who have foreign spouses or children who are of a foreign nationality the ability to bring them home as well.  But then I do not see the Thai government doing much for the people as it stands already.  I have to wonder what the cost of these repatriation flights is costing and whether or not those returning are having to reimburse  the government or had to pay up front....

I have heard directly from the mother of a Thai national that I know. Her son was a foreign exchange student in the US. She said that they (family) had to pay for the flight costs and that they didn't get any kind of discount, rebate/refund of the fare. She said that they (the Thai national) could choose any airline they wanted -- they didn't have to fly X or Y airline, but the reality was that given the super small number of airlines that even offered service, it ended up being either a no-choice or two choice scenario for most... They did have to tell the embassy about their itinerary before the permit would be issued (i guess it was emailed) which they had to show to the airline staff at check-in time.

I forgot to ask about the quarantine expenses upon arrival, but she didn't mention that as having a required payment either before US departure, upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi, upon arrival at the facility or at time of discharge either.  My gut feeling is that there is/was no charge for nationals... but I'll bet it will be a chargeable service when it comes to non-nationals... my guess only on that point.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Probably some kind of " scratch my Back, and I,ll scratch yours " deal with S Korea to get the " Pi Noi "out of their Country.

These " Pi Noi " have been a source of shame to Thailand for many years, and the S, Koreans are fed up with them all working illegally.

This is a great time to sort out the issue

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I believe most of us stuck abroad are willing to pay for the 14d quaranten. And I'm sure many of the empty Bangkok hotels would accept a deal to work as quaranten. A win-win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Don't speculate. Flights will be back in July and Thailand will be doing what the rest of the world is doing in regards to opening up. ASEAN countries like Thailand may open up to each first and then to the rest of the world.

Forget July, they have already given extensions to visas up to 31st July, they will want those on visa exempt, tourist visa and voa gone before any new tourists arrive.

14 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Probably some kind of " scratch my Back, and I,ll scratch yours " deal with S Korea to get the " Pi Noi "out of their Country.

These " Pi Noi " have been a source of shame to Thailand for many years, and the S, Koreans are fed up with them all working illegally.

This is a great time to sort out the issue

S.Korea offered the P'Nois an amnesty to get out of the country, but as always a few who believe they are above the law chose to remain and got stuck when the airlines shut down operations... then started bleating about how hard life was.

Well guess what life is harder in Thailand and I doubt if S.Korea will have such an open door welcome policy for young Thai females travelling alone in the future.

19 hours ago, drbeach said:

Don't speculate. Flights will be back in July and Thailand will be doing what the rest of the world is doing in regards to opening up. ASEAN countries like Thailand may open up to each first and then to the rest of the world.

Is that what you speculate?