Ford Sticks With The Investment Plan?

ThaiGoon

PeaceBlondie, are you a man or a woman or a mix of both? I'm just curious (as I'm beginning to understand why you are still sticking around in Thailand even with your obvious disgusts of the place (and people ...excluding your Thai b/f of course)) I can see how hate crimes towards a certain group of people in America could deter you from going back there.

Anyway, thanks for reading the article. That's why I titled this thread as a question.

Thats the go Goon! Question the moderators manhood!

Lets see how far you get... :o

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now now Thiagoon, please be civil and don't let your insecurities manifest themsleves by lashing out at others

your loyalty to Thailand is admirable albeit misguided as the economy takes it on the chin

Edited by bingobongo

Anyway, I have to say that this forum is quite interesting with quite a few interesting, weird and incoherent characters. :o
That's who make it interesting, ThaiGoon - people like ourselves and all those weirdos. :D

I'm a father of six children. I'm not disgusted at Thai people; maybe that's your false impression, caused by factors I'm ignorant of. I do get exasperated by some of the things that Thai politicians and educators do, though. The Immigration Police are far more competent than most farang give them credit.

It's a lovely country, Thailand. Economically, however, I don't see how it can compete with the bigger, sharper players in the market. ThaiGoon, did you read the rest of Ambassador Boyce's comments, or just the part you highlighted in the opening post?

Anyway, I have to say that this forum is quite interesting with quite a few interesting, weird and incoherent characters. :o
That's who make it interesting, ThaiGoon - people like ourselves and all those weirdos. :D

I'm a father of six children. I'm not disgusted at Thai people; maybe that's your false impression, caused by factors I'm ignorant of. I do get exasperated by some of the things that Thai politicians and educators do, though. The Immigration Police are far more competent than most farang give them credit.

It's a lovely country, Thailand. Economically, however, I don't see how it can compete with the bigger, sharper players in the market. ThaiGoon, did you read the rest of Ambassador Boyce's comments, or just the part you highlighted in the opening post?

I did read the rest of his comments. As for you comment about Thailand not being to compete economically, I can see why. Anyone obviously would judge Thailand based on Thai people he/she's surrounded him/herself with. So I can see how you can have a different view than I do. Anyway, I think we will see more clearly which way the country is headed in the next 5 or 6 years.

Big companies like ford, Shell Oil, Coke etc often make disastrous investments and get away with it because they have huge turnovers and many other interests in many other countries to hide the losses.

Ford, in particular, seem to have very weak management, hence their prevailing losses over the past decade and now this decision to move to Thailand :o .

As I say, it's OK if you're a MNC and loss a few hundred million, it's only shareholders funds anyway, but if you're the average punter losing tens or hundreds of thousands of $ can really huirt and you may not get another go at it.

So I wouldn't take much notice of the OP's attempt to paint Thailand as a promising investment opportunity, by any means. Scan the board, have a look at what most people are saying about working/living here and remember, a dollar invested in Thailand is usually a dollar spent.

Ford, in particular, seem to have very weak management, hence their prevailing losses over the past decade and now this decision to move to Thailand :o .

No longer. Alan Mullaly, ex CEO of Boeing (he designed their great success, B-777) has been at the helm since October last year. Time too short to turn around the supertanker of Ford.

Also, Ford is already in Thailand, has been for decades, nothing new, maybe handy to use this expansion (that must have been planned a while ago) as a showcase the junta is not mean.

Ford know what they are doing - at least when opening their purse in Thailand.

Yeah, nothing to do with the huge drop in sales in North America (Ford's biggest market.)

Begbie you have been in Thailand for quite a while right? And Thailand's development has also been slowed down during the same period. Correlation?

Edited by ThaiGoon

And has been losing a fortune in this time. See the correlation?

What correlation?

Ford is losing in US, not in Thai. Their overseas operations could be what supports the headquarters at it's deathbed.

Same as GM - very successful in China and Asia but deadwood in the US.

Well, well, well, aren't we feisty today!

Uninformed post mr. think too not. Please elaborate. Please do tell us your theories for us to disect.

FORD also stands for First On Racing Day.

Did it occur to anyone that they have a long term plan and defaulting is one of them so that they can cut off their obligations?

Every country has gone from food production to craft to manufacturing and ...

Some countries even move on to high technology such as japan and germany.

Both these two countries would be the powerhouses today were it not for the world powers slapping them down by forcing them into war. Yes you read that correctly. They were given no choice - in fact their survival depended on it. I won't elaborate here - use your time to do the research or give me an argument I can refute. In the long run we will be looking up to them again - unless of course they are slapped down again.

Every country has the potential to move forward. Every country uses technology transfer to get ahead. Every invention has been invented by many others to be finally reworked for the purpose it is mostly asscociated with. So BKKANdREW - your assessment that china is moving on to producing its own stuff is misguided. And the fact that every country also has to import things to make and export things again refutes your claims.

The key ingredient in any country moving ahead is labor. This is also the make and breaking point in many, although not all things requiring labor. Labor is also the reason why a country is chosen as are other criteria such as distance to markets and ...

All countries have taken and used technology to get ahead, but the main move to wealth has been through labor. This is how england and many other countries became rich - by exploiting cheap (slave) labor. A simple example is the sugar plantations using slave labor - this one product put massive amounts of wealth into their bottom line. Now add all the other products using cheap labor and you have a country that is rich. Once they have achieved wealth and they also control a world currency = then amassing more waelth is easy as making pie

China until now has been a site of manufacturing for many companies producing things. Their main contribution has been labor for over a decade. This has done them well as has every other nation that has moved from food production to developed nation status.

And yes - idgit - Shanghai will be one of the major financial centers soon enough.

Name one country that has not followed this trajectory?

Two examples in the region in recent time are Japan and Korea. Both countries are great examples, but i will focus on korea. This was a country that went from a peasant agricultural nation to a high tech producing nation with some of the largest and best global co's in the world within a few deacades. Korea also followed the route LOS is now taking. They too had many hiccups. AND most important for cross reference is that this country did so under a strong military gov't. Japan, if you know a little about the country has a democratic gov't - but i wouold liken it to the korean example I just gave. And now LOS has a smilitary gov't who have always had a presence.

Every expert said it couldn't be done. Well I think history speaks for itself. After the 97 meltdown - everyone wrote off the region and said it was finished. ER what year is it...a pretty ###### good recovery.

The U.S. has a two party system but everyonwe knows they are both controlled by the same people in power. This is a ploy to make people think they have a choice when in fact they do not.

It is a fallacy to assume one group of people are superior to another. Rich countries are rich becauee of actions of gov't's in using force to control or subjugate another. Call it a form of kleptocracy.

There is no reason to assume that LOS will not follow the example given considering they have a vibrant work force, a young population, great location, cheap costs and so on...

The area of dispute here seems to be the short term and long term forcasts.

Don't always read too much into the headlines - it's politics. And when you look at figures, anyone who is familiar with accounting practices will inform you that it is a huge grey area and subject to what is included and what is not.

It would be nice if people actually put forth some meaningful arguments as to why they think one way or another - but that would be asking to THiNK TOO MUCH!

I wonder why people get a kick - out of kicking - LOS down all the time - perhpas because they got kicked down becuase they didn't do their homework. A place is what you make of it. I personally have a great time here and that is why I continue to come back and have invested in theis country and will continue to do so - for the long term. Am I being too optimistic - no - just being a realist relying on the facts that stare me in the face and not on hyper sensationalistic propaganda and heresy.

Further knowledge transfer will require payment.

A final note to all those who have been burned and feel a burning desire to burn others - Don't Think Too Ouch!

cheers

Begbie you have been in Thailand for quite a while right? And Thailand's development has also been slowed down during the same period. Correlation?

Yeah, you're right, Thailand floundering economy is all my (a farangs) fault.

Both these two countries would be the powerhouses today were it not for the world powers slapping them down by forcing them into war.

:o

Funniest post I've read in ages.

Both these two countries would be the powerhouses today were it not for the world powers slapping them down by forcing them into war.

:o

Funniest post I've read in ages.

It's Soviet era way of thinking that makes it so laughable.

Having read a lot of comments on this board, I now firmly believe that the way to run a succesful and huge MNC is very very easy and simple. Just hire any farang in Thailand who himself can't hack it back at home, to run the company! These people do appear to be the experts and in the know. :D I wonder why none of the board members at big MNC's have never thought of this before! :o

:D:D to the expert(s). :D

Hmmm, so anybody living, working or retired to Thailand accoding to you is ignorant? Obviously we couldn't attain your vast achievemnets in life, a student? One that has never tested themselves in the workforce or had to excell in a competitive business environment. One who probably is just going through the motions so he can get back to some pre-arranged government job, where you will no doubt get your nose deeply in trough.

Obviously many here could not run a MNC, but there are also those that could and have. We will add your name to the former grouping. Arrogance is only an admirable trait when it based on self achievement and as such earned.

A Thai perspective is interesting, but a fool trying to mimick intelligence with asinine quirps is both transparent and boring.

Every country has the potential to move forward. Every country uses technology transfer to get ahead. Every invention has been invented by many others to be finally reworked for the purpose it is mostly asscociated with. So BKKANdREW - your assessment that china is moving on to producing its own stuff is misguided. And the fact that every country also has to import things to make and export things again refutes your claims.

Er - where/when did I make this assessment??? :o

Edited by bkkandrew

Think Too Much ,

Please explain the soviet era thinking,

And while your at it please explain why marx's ideas could never work in the U.S.S.R.

It is very elementary knowledge for any one who understands simple market economics.

Or would you -

CDNVIC

Like to ,

Enlighten us with your logic so we too may revel in your intellect!

Or is it too much to ask people to back up their words!!

For all to see once and for all what we are working with!!!

If anyone believes that Japan and Germany were forced to enslave most of Europe and Asia, and systematically slaughter millions of innocent people, then overcoming that appalling amount of ignorance is something too insurmountable for my simple intellect to handle.

I'll leave my opinion and yours to the judgement of the masses.

Edited by cdnvic

I think "Shochu" and "Thaigoon" are the same person.

It's the same fanatical, utterly incomprehensible and irrational gobledegook coming from both of them, in the same unmistakable mentally-retarded-third-grader-on-crack writing style.

That's hardly fair to third graders on crack now is it? :o

If somebody told them to come here and spread propaganda, that person will be disappointed with their results.

All they (or 1 with 2 logins) have done - made <deleted> of themselves.

25kg of gravel into their backpacks and march them uphill for several hours. If they are one same person, 50kg then.

Edited by think_too_mut

BKKANDREW,

my appologies.

I have directed some sentences at you when I should have directed them at

cclub75

now,

CLUBB75,

how about refuting my responses to you???

Refuting ?

First : you should learn the basic functions of TV : reply, quote etc. The discussion would be much easier.

Then, and if I follow what you are saying (it's hard) : you refute the idea that "china is moving on to producing its own stuff" ? Correct ?

It's true that I wrote (but it was in another thread !) that the domestic chinese car industry was doing great on the domestic market : in march, the chinese brand Chery sold in China more cars than the foreign brands.

This is a fact.

And then, I wrote that it would probably be the same with the airplanes industry. Again it's not the result of my burning imagination... but the fact that Beijing has... already started to build its "first domestically produced commercial airplane".

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-03...tent_839195.htm

It's a small model. But logically, they will developp larger jetliners, for a very basic reason : the market is amazing, their needs in new airplanes are going to be huge.

So where is the problem ? I should say : what is your problem ?

Yeah, you're right, Thailand floundering economy is all my (a farangs) fault.

mate u overestimate urself in every way.