90-Day Non-Immigrant Visa

I'm trying learn about whatever options there might be for staying in Thailand for several more months. My METV expired Apr 25, but obviously OK till July 31 with the amnesty.  

I just discovered the 90 day non immigrant visa, and understand it has the option to convert to a 1 year non-immigrant visa, which is what I've been thinking about. I have a bank account at KrungSri and am in the process of getting adequate funds there to comply with the regs. 

What I read about the 90 day visa this morning was a little vague and sounded like it's something I can't apply for if I'm already in Thailand.

I really don't plan to live here full time but neither do I want to be going back to the US anytime soon for a bunch of reasons. 

Any clarification and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

DS

19 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

My METV expired Apr 25, but obviously OK till July 31 with the amnesty.  

Was it your visa that expired or the 60 day entry or the 30 day extension that ended.

I just discovered the 90 day non immigrant visa, and understand it has the option to convert to a 1 year non-immigrant visa, which is what I've been thinking about.

You could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration and then apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai or retirement if you are 50 years old or over during the last 30 days of the 90 days.

For marriage you would need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income. For retirement you would need 800k baht in the bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You may not be able to apply for the non immigrant visa if you are under the amnesty and cannot apply for a normal 30 day extension. Some immigration offices have already refused the application of some people already.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Was it your visa that expired or the 60 day entry or the 30 day extension that ended.

You may not be able to apply for the non immigrant visa if you are under the amnesty and cannot apply for a normal 30 day extension. Some immigration offices have already refused the application of some people already.

The original METV shows dates of Sept 11, 2019 to March 10, 2020. I did a run to Ranong on Feb 26, shows an expiration date of Apr 25. 

I'm well past 50, can have 800K baht in the bank here, but will take a couple weeks. I understand they want it to be there for 90 days before applying for the 1 year visa - so if I was to apply for that end of July it would not meet that requirement - which is why the 90 day sounds like an option I should consider. If I was to get the 30 day extension on July 31, pretty sure the funds would not have been in place for 90 days on Aug 30. 

And I'm in Chiang Mai, don't know whether that's one of the offices that's refusing applications. Do you know what reasons they're giving for refusal?

Thanks!

Edited by MrKFC
misspelled word

I'm well past 50, can have 800K baht in the bank here, but will take a couple weeks. I understand they want it to be there for 90 days before applying for the 1 year visa - so if I was to apply for that end of July it would not meet that requirement - which is why the 90 day sounds like an option I should consider. If I was to get the 30 day extension on July 31, pretty sure the funds would not have been in place for 90 days on Aug 30. 

To apply for the non immigrant visa entry the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for it. No need to have it in the bank any amount of time.

Then when you apply for the one year extension of stay the 800k baht would have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

And I'm in Chiang Mai, don't know whether that's one of the offices that's refusing applications. Do you know what reasons they're giving for refusal?

Not sure about Chiang Mai. But since you have not applied for the 30 day extension of the 60 day entry allowed they may let you apply for it and then do the non immigrant visa application.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for the non immigrant visa entry the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for it. Not need to have it in bank any amount of time.

Then when you apply for the one year extension of stay the 800k baht would have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

Not sure about Chiang Mai. But since you have not applied for the 30 day extension of the 60 day entry allowed they may let you apply for it and then do the non immigrant visa application.

That's good news, thanks! - don't know where I got the idea the $ needed to be in place for 90 days at the time of application. 

It's sounding like maybe you're recommending I do the usual 30 day extension instead of applying for a 90 day - ? Am I reading it right?  Any reason for that?

And when you say "they may let you apply for it" - I wasn't aware they could refuse to let me apply. 

DS

3 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

It's sounding like maybe you're recommending I do the usual 30 day extension instead of applying for a 90 day - ? Am I reading it right?  Any reason for that?

I was saying that if they would not accept the visa application while on the "automatic extension" they might let you apply for the 30 day extension so that you could apply for the visa.

Since you are already on the automatic extension they could refuse to do the 30 day extension. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I was saying that if they would not accept the visa application while on the "automatic extension" they might let you apply for the 30 day extension so that you could apply for the visa.

Since you are already on the automatic extension they could refuse to do the 30 day extension. 

Ah - so this 'automatic amnesty' thing might possibly be an impediment to any sort of extension - since I've already been here well past the expiration of the original METV plus a 60 day extension? 

Pretty sure I can have the $ in the bank by May 31

You said "when you apply for the one year extension of stay the 800k baht would have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply."  

So sounds like maybe I should be planning to apply for that on July 31 ... ? 

DS

1 minute ago, MrKFC said:

So sounds like maybe I should be planning to apply for that on July 31 ... ?

That would depend upon when you apply for the 90 day non immigrant visa entry. You might have to wait until you only have 30 days remaining on the 90 days.

• Like 1

OK, I think it’s beginning to sink in, don’t mean to be dense.

But I am a little confused by this -

“To apply for the non immigrant visa entry the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for it. No need to have it in the bank any amount of time.”

Is this referring to the 90 day non-immigrant visa?

1 hour ago, MrKFC said:

That's good news, thanks! - don't know where I got the idea the $ needed to be in place for 90 days at the time of application. 

Probably because some offices enforce that non-rule, in an attempt to avoid processing 90-day visa applications.

1 hour ago, MrKFC said:

And when you say "they may let you apply for it" - I wasn't aware they could refuse to let me apply. 

DS

Go to the office and tell them you want to apply for the 90-day Non-O Visa based on retirement based on 800K in the bank.  See what they say. 

How IOs treat the "automatic extension" is not clear.  I would not even suggest the 30-day extension to buy a "window" for the Non-O application, unless the initially say "cannot" to your initial inquiry.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

OK – very helpful, thanks!

This outfit – Siam Legal – (who sells high dollar visa services) - says I have to be in the US to apply - and that is NOT in the requirements you attached. Are they maybe exaggerating the 'hurdles' to try to get people to pay their fees?

Their page says:

“Further, the applicants must be physically present in the country where they lodge their visa application. The general requirements for this type of visa are as follows:

A passport with at least 6-month validity from the date of your intended arrival in Thailand.

An invitation or confirmation letter to clarify the purpose of travel issued by the concerned organization.

Additional supporting document requested by the Royal Thai embassy or consulate.

Proof of financial funds and travel itinerary.

Embassy fee.

The visa applicants are advised to apply for their visa either by mail or in person at the Royal Thai embassy or consulate in their home country.”

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Go to the office and tell them you want to apply for the 90-day Non-O Visa based on retirement based on 800K in the bank.  See what they say. 

Well, it's not difficult for me to go there - but would that be a commitment to start the process today?

Or can I just request copies of the forms/paperwork to have a look and get started - come back when I'm ready?

Thanks!

DS

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No it would not.

You mostly need to check if they will let you apply while on the automatic extension. If no then ask about applying for the 30 day extension you have not used yet.

OK - that makes a lot of sense. 

Since I'm trying to avoid returning before US election season, I guess I should be inquiring about the 1 year visa rather than the 90 day visa.  And then of they decline, ask about 30 days. 

DS

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

Since I'm trying to avoid returning before US election season, I guess I should be inquiring about the 1 year visa rather than the 90 day visa.  And then of they decline, ask about 30 days. 

You to have to have the 90 day non immigrant visa entry to apply for the one year extension (it is not a visa).

You may need to the 30 day extension to apply for the visa.

Wow, took 15 posts to weed out all the confusion.

Here an overview of the steps that need to be taken so that you can stay in Thailand at least till after US election season.

1 - Visit your local IO and ask whether during the present amnesty, they will allow you to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

If 'not allowed/possible' then ask whether applying for a 30-day extension of stay is allowed.

If also 'not allowed/possible' you will simply have to wait out till the borders are open once again at the end of the Amnesty, and then do a border-run and re-enter VisaExempt, which would then allow you to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa at your local IO.

Note: Instead of returning VisaExempt from your border-run you could also apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa at a thai consulate abroad.

2 - When your local IO allows you to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa, then simply apply for it (needs 800K with foreign origins proven on your personal thai bank-account on the day of your application).

In case they allow you to do the 30-day extension (1.900 THB) as a first step before applying for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa, you simply apply for it and in the 15 (some IOs require 21) days before that 30-day permission to stay expires, then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

3 - Once you applied for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa, you will need a re-entry permit when wanting/needing to  leave the country before your 'come-back' Visa collecting day.

4 - When you have your 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa, you can then - in the last 30 days of that 90-day permission - apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  The 800K on your personal thai bank-account will by then have seasoned at least 2 months, thus meeting the requirement for that 1-year extension.

Note: Since it is not your intention to long-stay in Thailand, that last step (applying for the 1-year extension) might not even be necessary.

E.g. you could wait till the end of the Amnesty (31 July) before applying for the 30-day extension, which will give you till 30 August.  Applying before mid August for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa, will provide you with a permission to stay till early-mid November.

But obviously if you intend to come back to Thailand next year, applying for the 1-year extension of stay before leaving for the US, would be recommended as that would provide you with a permission to stay till early-mid November 2021.  But in that case before exiting Thailand, you would need to buy a Re-Entry Permit (1.000 THB) to keep that permission to stay alive for re-entering Thailand later.  You can buy such a Re-Entry Permit at your local IO immediately after having received your 1-year extension of stay.

• Like 1

I went to Immigration, told the guy I'm thinking about the 1 year retirement visa based on 800K baht, he looked at my visa & stamps, said there wouldn't be a problem applying in July. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

I went to Immigration, told the guy I'm thinking about the 1 year retirement visa based on 800K baht, he looked at my visa & stamps, said there wouldn't be a problem applying in July.

OK, and that's of course the best possible scenario.

So just wait till the end of the Amnesty, and then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa at your local IO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Wow, took 15 posts to weed out all the confusion.  

Yep, confusing alright, and I think I'm probably the culprit for assuming the 'amnesty' would be viewed differently than a normal expiration date. 

Nice job consolidating it all into one sensible paragraph. 

This is 4 winters in a row I've spent here - home is Montana and originally intended to be there a month ago and return in about October. If I get the 1 year visa, guess I'll probably stay till next April - if I never walk or drive on ice again, it will be OK with me. I think there's a multi-entry option for the 1 year visa, gonna check into that too.

I appreciate all the help and guidance!

DS

3 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

I think there's a multi-entry option for the 1 year visa, gonna check into that too.

I appreciate all the help and guidance!

Yes, but you can only apply for the 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the thai consulate in Savannakhet, Laos or Penang, Malaysia.

>>> For your info - I just PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all options/details to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Ah - thank you!  ????

Looked for the message, hasn't arrived yet, evidently there's a little lag, but will check back later.

DS