How Often Do You Enter A Restaurant, Look At The Menu & Prices

chanchao

Because I just did. :o Thought I'd check out a newly opened shop called "Pizzamania" on the old Lamphun road, sort of opposite the Tesco Express there. (Interesting newly developed area).

No customers. Pizza's starting at 160 baht for a Margarita, so I thought "meh, that 160 baht is better spent on beer" so I went to one of the places next door where there's noodles, and the excellent Phitsanulok Rice & Curry shop.

(Downtown with all the backpackers i guess a lot of restaurants are used to it and put the menu outside so that neither party wastes their time with the other.)

I kind of was hoping some 'okay for the money small Thai pseudo-pizzas at like 50-60 baht', or so. (Last time I did that was recently at an Australian restaurant on Nimmanhaemin.. again no customers but sky-high prices.)

My feeling is that those restaurants don't understand the Chiang Mai market, or am I just being cheap?

Edited by chanchao

I was hankering for a sausage pizza once at Central Kad Kaew, so I went into the one on the ground floor, near the Japanese place. No pepperoni. No Italian sausage. My mee. So I smiled, said I was sorry, and walked out. Or, maybe I wanted personal pan, and that was my mee. I don't like food all that much; I'd rather do without than waste time and money on something that's just going to "go out the draught" as Jesus so quaintly said in the King James version.

Maybe it's rude in Thailand to walk in and walk out without buying. But if they only have bologna pizza, or the helmets in a motorcycle store are all size XS, I'm walking out.

OK I'm not talking about Thai restaurants but the principle is the same.

Last night I went to a restaurant, sat down and waited over five minutes for the menu to be brought over, and they were in no way busy. After I'd read the entire menu a couple of times with no approach from the waiters I got up and left.

Just because you enter an establishment does not mean you have entered into a binding contract to buy anything same as they have no requirement to serve you. So I see no problem if you are not happy with the prices or what is on offer in leaving, provided, of course, you've not availed yourself of any facilities like the washroom.

walk in restaurant, look at prices first, if expensive, i just smile, leave and say mai pen rai. if they ask more questions, i say "peng maak". not at all shy about it.

not being "kee neiou" but its just to fill the stomach. unless its something i am willing to pay for. eg: a good dinner with the missus. or a good meal at The Dukes.

but if no service after sitting there for a while. then i'll tell them off and leave.

havent done that regarding prices as such but have done on the hygiene standards, or lack of, and this was in the dinning area, bits of food under the table, funny smell to the place, sticky unclean tables, etc, wonder how bad the state of the kitchens were :o

have also walk out due to lack of service. We were seated and menus handed out. waited for the waitress to come back, after 10 mins we just had enough and walked.

Edited by Donnyboy

Beware the restaurants that insist you order drinks before they give you the menu. It is an old trick of the rip-off places to lock you in. Once you receive your drinks, it is much harder to leave.

I frequently leave restaurants after reading the menu, regardless of the pricing. Once you sit down and spend a few minutes in there, it is easy to judge what kind of place it is. Look at what other people are eating and the professionalism of the staf etc. If it is not up to scratch, walk out.

walk in restaurant, look at prices first, if expensive, i just smile, leave and say mai pen rai. if they ask more questions, i say "peng maak". not at all shy about it.

not being "kee neiou" but its just to fill the stomach. unless its something i am willing to pay for. eg: a good dinner with the missus. or a good meal at The Dukes.

but if no service after sitting there for a while. then i'll tell them off and leave.

tigerbeer,

you looking for a free meal @ The Dukes arent you? :D

wonder if it works? :o

whens the new store open? The thread I started was closed due to some posters talking about the mods. :D

Beware the restaurants that insist you order drinks before they give you the menu. It is an old trick of the rip-off places to lock you in. Once you receive your drinks, it is much harder to leave.

I frequently leave restaurants after reading the menu, regardless of the pricing. Once you sit down and spend a few minutes in there, it is easy to judge what kind of place it is. Look at what other people are eating and the professionalism of the staf etc. If it is not up to scratch, walk out.

me, missus and kids went to a thai restaurant in Seri Center, Bangkok a couple days ago. waitress ask to order drinks first. i said i dont know what i want. come back and ask. wife ordered carrot juice. we looked at the menu, the food in the menu didnt appeal to us. we told her we'll pay for the carrot juice and left. a tip of 20 baht for the mess my kids caused in that span of 10 minutes or so.

she was all ok about it. :o

I quite often go into a restaurant, and if I percieve it as being outside my budget or not value for money, too busy, hot, noisy etc I will leave without ordering, but in a polite way thanking the staff as I go.

I dont think there is anything the matter with this after all we are the customer and call the shots.

One of my pet hates is televisions in restaurants, this will cause me to walk out.

MM

Edited by mosquitoman

I've walked out a few times as well and see nothing wrong with doing so either.

If the restaurant is below my expectations, why order and pay for a disappointing meal?

On occasion when too hungry to be bothered and other choices are far away, I do order just to get rid of the hunger.

160 baht for a Margherita... then they need some other very convincing arguments for dining there.

Not only do I check out the menu and prices but I also check out how big the servings are.

Diners must wonder who the strange guy is walking around peering at their dishes....don't worry, it's only me.

ive eaten in most places good and bad normally the good are the cheaper ones,or maybe i expect more the dearer ones..........

Because I just did. :o Thought I'd check out a newly opened shop called "Pizzamania" on the old Lamphun road, sort of opposite the Tesco Express there. (Interesting newly developed area).

My feeling is that those restaurants don't understand the Chiang Mai market, or am I just being cheap?

I don't do it a lot but have in the past. I like it when they have a menu and special board outside that I can check before I walk in. That way I can read what is on offer and at what price. I think that is better than walking in, taking a seat, sitting around until I get a menu, and then having to make a decision on staying or leaving. I have walked out of a restaurant when I waited for 15 minutes to get a menu and decided it wasn't worth the effort. They wanted to charge me 20 Baht per person (2 people) for the complementary water served on arrival. I paid rather than make a scene and haven't gone back.

I am not a gourmet and eat because I am hungry. I am happy to pay for value and the amount I am prepared to pay depends on what I want to eat. On the rare occasions I eat a steak I am happy to pay 300-500 bath IF it is fresh, cooked the way I like it, and served nicely. I am not happy to pay 300 baht for a chunk of shoe leather stuck under a saucepan lid to steam until it is a sodden, grey lump like the one I had a couple of weeks ago at the Hungry Horse restaurant in Loi Kroh. I complained about it, didn't eat it, and had to pay for the priveledge. Not gone back since.

CB

I would have no problem walking out if i was unimpressed with the menu or the service.However, its only fair to point out a couple of things about Pizzamania.The pizzas there are far better than average and very large, although you wouldnt know that just looking at the menu.I have used them 5 or 6 times since they opened and always been more than happy.

Yes the pizzas do start at 160 bt , but the most expensive is 190. I appreciate that is a little more expensive than some but they are large and far better quality than most.

The premises are very clean with very good airconditioning and great service.I dont mind paying a little more for that.

I don't do it a lot but have in the past. I like it when they have a menu and special board outside that I can check before I walk in. That way I can read what is on offer and at what price. I think that is better than walking in, taking a seat, sitting around until I get a menu, and then having to make a decision on staying or leaving. I have walked out of a restaurant when I waited for 15 minutes to get a menu and decided it wasn't worth the effort. They wanted to charge me 20 Baht per person (2 people) for the complementary water served on arrival. I paid rather than make a scene and haven't gone back.

I am not a gourmet and eat because I am hungry. I am happy to pay for value and the amount I am prepared to pay depends on what I want to eat. On the rare occasions I eat a steak I am happy to pay 300-500 bath IF it is fresh, cooked the way I like it, and served nicely. I am not happy to pay 300 baht for a chunk of shoe leather stuck under a saucepan lid to steam until it is a sodden, grey lump like the one I had a couple of weeks ago at the Hungry Horse restaurant in Loi Kroh. I complained about it, didn't eat it, and had to pay for the priveledge. Not gone back since.

CB

I never could understand walking past the Hungry Horse's sign (as I have myriad times) how ANYONE could name a restaurant the "Hungry Horse". Is it just me? I'm sorry, don't want to get any business owner's knickers in a twist...but "Hungry Horse"? Wouldn't it have sounded better in French? Now Gecko Books, I like that name.....(shameless plug) lots of consonants, fairly rolls off the tongue....LOL

Please don't be too outraged, but what I have done for years all over the world is ask to see a menu BEFORE sitting down. If a restaurant refused to show their menu like this (never happened in a place that has a menu) then what are they hiding? Then, if it doesn't please, there is never any problem at all leaving. I would find it a bit embarrassing leaving after sitting down. For me, it is not only about the price but the choices they have to offer on the menu. You can often tell a boring restaurant by a boring menu.

Edited by Jingthing

The Hungry Horse shares the name with a chain of pub/restaurants in the UK.And guess what...the logos and menus are set out the same.Not the same choices but some of the dishes have the same names.Actually the one here is better than the ones ive been to in England.

Has anyone eaten in the Palm Beer Garden on Loi Kroh? Thats a good example of looking at the menu and walking off as many of the dishes are 450 upwards.Some over 1000.The place looks the part though i wouldnt consider paying their prices...im too kee niow

The Hungry Horse shares the name with a chain of pub/restaurants in the UK.And guess what...the logos and menus are set out the same.Not the same choices but some of the dishes have the same names.Actually the one here is better than the ones ive been to in England.

I didn't know that - wonder if the Queen Vic pub (owners of the CM Hungry Horse) bought a franchise or did a copy cat?

Has anyone eaten in the Palm Beer Garden on Loi Kroh? Thats a good example of looking at the menu and walking off as many of the dishes are 450 upwards.Some over 1000.The place looks the part though i wouldnt consider paying their prices...im too kee niow

Yes - we took some clients there - company paid, I wouldn't. I thought the food was good, the rib eye steak I had was from NZ and beautiful. However in my opinion it is a tourist oriented restraurant with an overdeveloped sense of self importance. A similar steak at one of a dozen other places in CM would be as good and considerably cheaper.

CB

Thats the impression i had of the Palm Beer garden.Certainly looks good, but im afraid one look at the menu prices put me off.Im guessing the Hungry Horse is a copy cat, but only guessing.The guys from The Queen Vic and Hungry Horse have a number of successful restaurants in Pattaya.One also called The Queen Vic which i have to say is very good, again serving an excellent Sunday roast buffet at a very reasonable price.

Edited by BossHogg

Well, maybe simplistic, but I thought it played off of the phrase "hungry as a horse", which is fairly common where I come from, maybe not universal, I guess.

No the phrase is correct and the reason behind the name of the restaurant. They do a good breakfast on a Sunday morning when I need some carbohydrate and fat to face life again :o

CB