Biggest Star In Thailand Is Scottish

Neeranam

Sriracha John; I count a few of the people mentioned as reasonably good friends (not Palmy though!)

Amazing... Same here.... (with Palmy included!)

As the colonel can attest to... that's the beauty of the internet... one can make any claim they want to.

Christina Aguilar used to be my maid! And that bird Nat Myria Benedetti (sp?) was my dental hygienist before she made it big in the entertainment business. :D

... 'Course... she never calls, or replies to her emails these days.... :o

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sriracha John; I count a few of the people mentioned as reasonably good friends (not Palmy though!)

As the colonel can attest to... that's the beauty of the internet... one can make any claim they want to.

steveo is a former male model, who after his looks faded at age 23, went on to better paying activities in the consulting sphere. Nevertheless, if you note his other threads he still speaks authoritatively on all issues related to clothing, accessories, grooming and colour co-ordination. So while is orientation may be in doubt (nothing that there is anything wrong with that!), I'd dare say his caims were accurate.....

:o

steveo is a former male model, who after his looks faded at age 23, went on to better paying activities in the consulting sphere. Nevertheless, if you note his other threads he still speaks authoritatively on all issues related to clothing, accessories, grooming and colour co-ordination. So while is orientation may be in doubt (nothing that there is anything wrong with that!), I'd dare say his caims were accurate.....

ages are a bit out there Samran, and I did a fair bit more than just model, however the general gist of it is about right; I prefer to keep my identity in secret, so that i can emerge, Clark Kent like at opportune moments to comment on pertinent issues relating to fashion :-)

It is all in the glasses. With glasses on, CLark is a nerdy newspaper reporter. take them off and there you have a superhero.

By comparison...with old age I am a nerdy business consultant relegated to regaling the masses in TV. Take off a few years, and I was a star, dating and bedding FEMALE celebrities leaving a trail of used condoms and broken dreams..... those were the days. I coulda been a contender Samran, I coulda been somebody.

ages are a bit out there Samran, and I did a fair bit more than just model, however the general gist of it is about right; I prefer to keep my identity in secret, so that i can emerge, Clark Kent like at opportune moments to comment on pertinent issues relating to fashion :-)

It is all in the glasses. With glasses on, CLark is a nerdy newspaper reporter. take them off and there you have a superhero.

By comparison...with old age I am a nerdy business consultant relegated to regaling the masses in TV. Take off a few years, and I was a star, dating and bedding FEMALE celebrities leaving a trail of used condoms and broken dreams..... those were the days. I coulda been a contender Samran, I coulda been somebody.

Not wishing to sound overly skeptical in your particular situation, steve.

Just using the point to highlight that the colonel utilizes his seemingly endless list of supposed contacts, his inexhaustible roster of alleged experiences and his unquestionable expertise in practically any subject to support his posts (even when they so often run contrary to everyone else's experiences) more so than anyone else I can recall in the history of TV and it is..... after-all, of course, all unverifiable.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jonas Anderson and Christy (Kitty) Gibson. They've worked their way up to become superstars in Thailand.

post-8262-1176860830_thumb.jpg

I seen jonas on the same plane I took back to the states in March 06. He was begging the stewardess to let him sit in bussiness class(he had a coach ticket). The old birds that work for Northwest were not impressed with who he was, not to mention he was dress like a back packer. But some young lovely thai stewardess came to his rescue and got him a seat behind mine. My wife was a little impressed with having jonas sit near us, but to be honest I think he is kind of a knob. Atleast he acts like one.

PKG

Bird isn't actually a Luk-Kreung at all, in fact more like a Luk-Quarter as it was his father who was a Luk-Kreung

The worst Luk-Kreung on record is Tiger Woods - i dont really blame him but more his mother who has attempted to distance herself and her son as far from Thailand as heavenly possible.

A high ranking army friend of mine told me that Tiger Wood's mother could in theory be arrested and imprisoned for impersonating an Army Officer. When asked by reporters how she met her husband she claims that she was a soldier and that tale of hers has been published in innumerable major publications.

The Thai army however, has no record of Tiger's mother being a soldier - of course she has been lying, and that is a criminal offense......interesting..

Edited by stevesuphan

Peter Corp Dyrendal is the "biggest" Luuk Kreung (Thai Danish) :o

well depends whether you believe Nicole, Lookgaet etc :-); however if we are talking about fame, I can think of a few perhaps more famous in the singing arena:

Got Jakkapan

Marsha

Christina Aguila

Tata

Bird

Acting (which Peter pretty much hardly does any of for the most part, for reasons unknown to me, he was pretty good in that Lakorn shot in NZ with Marsha)

Ananta

Jonny Anthony

Paula

Hugo

Sara Marakul

Peter certainly one of the most all round guys though, because unlike most of the above he also did a lot of modelling as a model (rather than as someone who is a singer, and looks ok in a fashion spread). He would be the most photogenic of any of the male look kreung....by quite a bit.

Currently Paula would be the most famous and has the highest rates of the list above. Also extremely photogenic; in real life both look quite different to their pictures.

The full Thai look is currently more popular, and the biggest stars in lakorn/TV hosting are mostly swinging away from Look Krueng. Same as super models in the Lookgaet/Helen/yooyee mold are simply not famous like they used to be anymore. Swings and roundabouts.

With all the look krueng brats coming from fairly dubious parentage whose sole aim in life 'is to be a star' and are willing to work for free/peanuts, i don't know if the pendulum will ever swing back as far as it was in the late 90s, which was the golden era for look kreung.

The worst Luk-Kreung on record is Tiger Woods - i dont really blame him but more his mother who has attempted to distance herself and her son as far from Thailand as heavenly possible.

And, if it wasn't for his mother distancing the family as far away from Thailand and the Thai influences as possible, im sure tiger would not of had half the chance to suceed and turn into the legend he is today. Thank god for Tiger that his monther had enough common sense to realise what she needed to do in order to raise him to be the successfull person he is today. Of course, his father should take most of the credit for turing him into the professional athlete he has become, but, if his mother stayed any more connected to Thaialnd, there is no way in hel_l he would of had the chance or options he had and there is no way he would of even become the Tiger. If they stayed in LOS, or his mummy returned to LOS to raise him in the local village, Tiger the golfer would of most likely become Tiger the rice picker!

Well done to Tiger, his family and his mother, for deffinently making the correct decision!

btw, where is LOS is old lady Tiger from?

Edited by aussiestyle1983

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jonas Anderson and Christy (Kitty) Gibson. They've worked their way up to become superstars in Thailand.

post-8262-1176860830_thumb.jpg

I seen jonas on the same plane I took back to the states in March 06. He was begging the stewardess to let him sit in bussiness class(he had a coach ticket). The old birds that work for Northwest were not impressed with who he was, not to mention he was dress like a back packer. But some young lovely thai stewardess came to his rescue and got him a seat behind mine. My wife was a little impressed with having jonas sit near us, but to be honest I think he is kind of a knob. Atleast he acts like one.

PKG

:o That's pretty funny! Especially that he was flying in the cheap seats. A lot of celebs act like idiots off stage, so I'm not surprised. Just look at Michael Jackson or Britney Spears. My point was that Jonas and Kitty have become very well known entertainment celebs in Thailand, knobs or not. They certainly seem to sell plenty of DVDs and draw large crowds for their shows.

And, if it wasn't for his mother distancing the family as far away from Thailand and the Thai influences as possible, im sure tiger would not of had half the chance to suceed and turn into the legend he is today. Thank god for Tiger that his monther had enough common sense to realise what she needed to do in order to raise him to be the successfull person he is today. Of course, his father should take most of the credit for turing him into the professional athlete he has become, but, if his mother stayed any more connected to Thaialnd, there is no way in hel_l he would of had the chance or options he had and there is no way he would of even become the Tiger. If they stayed in LOS, or his mummy returned to LOS to raise him in the local village, Tiger the golfer would of most likely become Tiger the rice picker!

Well done to Tiger, his family and his mother, for deffinently making the correct decision!

yes, all us luuk krungs are children of the rice paddy dwellers. No annual three month holidays from OZ to Thailand for me, no sireee.

where is my fiddle and bottle of lao khao???

He was born and raised in Los Angeles which has the largest thai population outside of thai soil and sometimes known as the 77th province of Thailand :o

So I very much doubt he was totally distanced from all things thai.

yes, all us luuk krungs are children of the rice paddy dwellers. No annual three month holidays from OZ to Thailand for me, no sireee.

Is there a term in Thai for Thais that were born and raised in the west ?

My wife is ethnically Thai, but born and raised in NZL to fully Thai parents, so not a luk kreung, but 100% "western".

Just curious.

My wife is ethnically Thai, but born and raised in NZL to fully Thai parents, so not a luk kreung, but 100% "western".

Just curious.

BTW, if Bird is Scottish then Billy Connoly and Sean Connery are Irish as they both have Irish grandparents.

Good point. This is actually something ive always found to have some blurred lines. I was born and brought up in Scotland until age 16 then moved countries. My dads family is Italian, my mums - Irish. But, of course I consider myself Scottish.

However:

Just curious.

This is where the line blurs for me. What nationality does you your wife consider herself to be? I am also curious if there is a term.

On a funny note:

I recal a group of Americans asking me where i was from, and when i said Scotland one of the guys said in a distinctly strong US accent "Wow really, IM scottish too!". I just looked goggle-eyed at him for a sec...then I finally said "oh" (was a bit stumped for words to be perfectly honest). He then explained that his grandfather was Scottish..... :o

Hmm..

So by my reckoning Bird works out as 1/4 Oatmeal Savage and 3/4 Thai.

But his nationality is Thai.

:D Caramba! I dred to think how a Scots man would react to you calling that to his face! :D

Just curious.

"Thai-inter" (seriously) is the best one I've hear...

BTW, if Bird is Scottish then Billy Connoly and Sean Connery are Irish as they both have Irish grandparents.

Good point. This is actually something ive always found to have some blurred lines. I was born and brought up in Scotland until age 16 then moved countries. My dads family is Italian, my mums - Irish. But, of course I consider myself Scottish.

However:

Just curious.

This is where the line blurs for me. What nationality does you your wife consider herself to be? I am also curious if there is a term.

On a funny note:

I recal a group of Americans asking me where i was from, and when i said Scotland one of the guys said in a distinctly strong US accent "Wow really, IM scottish too!". I just looked goggle-eyed at him for a sec...then I finally said "oh" (was a bit stumped for words to be perfectly honest). He then explained that his grandfather was Scottish..... :o

Hmm..

So by my reckoning Bird works out as 1/4 Oatmeal Savage and 3/4 Thai.

But his nationality is Thai.

:D Caramba! I dred to think how a Scots man would react to you calling that to his face! :D

As i said in one of the first pages. Everyone wants to be Scottish. :D

BTW EEK. Guesthouse IS Scottish,

Just curious.

"Thai-inter" (seriously) is the best one I've hear...

Yes, and also "dek-nawk" (kid from the outside). On average, most will ask "when did you move back?" not understanding that there are plenty of Thais that didn't move "back" from anywhere, that they are "from" somewhere else. The same thing perplexes them about Indians from Africa, Chinese from South America, etc.

From Wiki,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Woods

Woods' father, Earl Woods, was a Vietnam War veteran and a retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel, and was of mixed African American (50 percent), Chinese (25 percent) and Native American (25 percent) ancestry. He was the chairman of his son's charitable foundation (the Tiger Woods Foundation) before his death at age 74 on May 3, 2006, following a lengthy battle with prostate cancer (see section Charity and youth projects below). Woods' mother, Kultida (nee Punsawad), is originally from Thailand, and is of mixed Thai (50 percent), Chinese (25 percent), and Dutch (25 percent) ancestry. This makes Woods himself one-quarter Chinese, one-quarter Thai, one-quarter African, one-eighth Native American, and one-eighth Dutch.[4] He affably refers to his ethnic make-up as Cablinasian (a portmanteau of Caucasian, Black, American-Indian, and Asian), a term he coined himself.

Wow, what a mix