Woman fined for throwing five cats over wall into Wat Pho

webfact

Woman fined for throwing five cats over wall into Wat Pho

By THE NATION

800_bd0e476b9dade47.jpg?v=1590463134

Photos and CCTV footage of a woman with a ski mask and dressed in black throwing five bags – each containing a cat – over the wall and into Wat Phra Chetuphon Wimon Mangkhalaram, or Wat Pho Temple, in Bangkok’s Phra Nakhon district went viral on the internet, sparking heavy criticism from netizens and earning her a fine.

The temple’s staff reportedly told Phra Ratchawang Station police that the incident took place at precisely 7.18pm on Sunday (May 24). They said the woman came by a pick-up truck with a box containing five cats. She stuffed the cats into fabric bags one by one before throwing them over the wall into the temple’s premises approximately 5 metres away from each other. She was helped by the driver and both drove off soon after.

Police reportedly tracked down the woman from the vehicle’s licence plate and called her in for questioning.

The woman, who is a Samut Prakarn local, turned herself in on Monday, reportedly admitting that she was the one in the photo. She said she could no longer raise the cats due to her allergic reaction to their hair.

Police charged her with abandoning pets in violation of the Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Act. The woman was allowed to go home after paying a fine.

Staff at Wat Pho told the press that all five cats were fine and the temple would take care of them, including getting the felines neutered.

They urged pet owners who cannot afford to keep their animals to pass on the unfortunate creatures to shelters and/or to adopters.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388502

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-26

that happens a lot here, dump anything in life you cannot handle in a temple, problem solved.

in chumpon i found 4 kittens over a period of 2 months all thrown in the garden in the very early morning hours.

• Sad 1

I know many farang a hole who have take pets here and then leave them behind after go they home coundry! Like our neibor have 3 cat and now they are back in US! Cants here shout all the time! Sometimes i give them tuna and cleaner woman give cat food. They think come back here in August. Should think better way from Jehovah people! Not get best house in here when coming they "end of world we know". Or what ever they believe!

Edited by 2 is 1

Let's hope the RTP are as on the ball when it comes to catching those <deleted> that left a cage with some endangered Slow Lorises in it to starve to death when they moved out of the place they'd been renting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Police charged her with abandoning pets in violation of the Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Act. The woman was allowed to go home after paying a fine.

Stadtler is very interested in knowing the amount of the fine. 

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

For one i applaud the police work on this matter, good job in tracking her down and seeing that she'll pay for her stupid heartless acts although not severely enough...

Tracking her down...?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's say it like this: The cats are still alive. She brought them to a place where she knew people will take care of the cats.

Her behavior was far away from perfect. But it could have been a lot worse - especially for the cats.

Yep, she could have slung them in the bags into a lake.  

• Like 1

I can really understand the woman . I suffer from 5 three month olds , and 2 more outside for another mother . I love cats but I fantasize about leaving them somewhere in a forest or do something worse. Social control deters me of doing so.

I should have killed them right after they were born (humainly).

They are ruining my life and they are going to have a sh-tty live like most cats here.

They are cute though , a mix between a longhaired mother and a siamese father. 3 are white with blue eyes and darker nose and paws , 2 full black from different father.  4 females + 1 male and 2 black females 3,5 months old outside.

They cost me a lot of money , but I can afford it. It's all the time and effort that I can't afford.

And they're at that age when they jump on my car , another reason to get rid of them.

Anyone around Phrae want a cute cat or cats ?

Edited by FlorC

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

She would have been aware that she could have taken them in through the front gates of the temple and explained her predicament, which would have solved the problem without being unnecessarily cruel to the poor cats

But that involves a thought process!

• Thanks 2

On 5/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, webfact said:

abandoning pets in violation of the Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Act.

Half the people in our village should then be fined since most dogs/cats run wild up and down the streets - they are not abandoned per se, however they are certainly not fed and cared for as a pet.

Feral dogs represent a danger to joggers, motorcyclists and pedestrians.  A letter to the village administration elicited no response!