Non o b conversion?

I'm asking for a friend who was teaching on a non o b, recently expired, the school have let him go and he is currently here via the amnesty until july 31st. He has since been offered a new job but is confused regarding the various options. Must he now leave the country on july 31st? If so and he leaves to a neighbouring country can he re enter Thailand on a 30 day exempt and then convert that to a non o b inside Thailand? Or must he obtain a tourist visa from the neighbouring country and then when back in Thailand convert that to a non o b?

many thanks for all replies.

tdm

There is no non o b visa. A non-b visa would be for teaching. A non-o visa is issued for other reasons.

It is unknow what will happen on or after July 31st.

If he had all the correct paperwork before July 31st he should be able to apply for a non-b visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

I don't suppose anyone in the situation described by the OP has had any luck getting a new Non-Imm 'B' visa in-country since Thailand's borders have been closed off?

Also, I just wonder how they are going to employ foreign teachers (not on Non-Imm 'B' annual extensions already) when the school term reopens on July 1 and up to and beyond the amnesty on July 31?

Will teachers be allowed to work on the amnesty?

If they have already started work on July 1, will they then have to leave the country before or on July 31 to go to a neighbouring country's Thai Embassy/Consulate to apply for a Non-Imm 'B' visa?

If so, will they be allowed back into Thailand without restrictions?

Will Immigration give Non-Imm 'B' visas in-country in the circumstances?

I know we probably don't have the answers to these questions but surely the Ministry of Education are working with the Ministry of Labour and Immigration to sort this out before schools reopen on July 1. Let's hope so.

8 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

I don't suppose anyone in the situation described by the OP has had any luck getting a new Non-Imm 'B' visa in-country since Thailand's borders have been closed off?

To apply for a non immigrant visa (category B) at immigration requires a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

In the OP's case his friend is on the "automatic extension" after his extension of stay ended. If immigration, the labor minsitry and etc were flexable he could apply for a extension of stay based upon teaching since his original entry was from a non-b visa.

15 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

Will teachers be allowed to work on the amnesty?

About the same as above. And of course would depend upon what type of entry they were on.

17 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

If so, will they be allowed back into Thailand without restrictions?

That is unknown at this time. After July 1st what will be required is completly unknown.

• Thanks 1