Altering Thai death certificate - any experience?

pazienza

My father passed away in Thailand 6 years ago, I have his Thai death certificate. 

I need to use this in order to obtain my Thai birth certificate, however his surname is spelled incorrectly (there's a missing ร์ at the end). It does not match my mother's documentation and the embassy in UK will not accept it. 

Does anyone have any experience of making alterations? If so, was it a straight forward process? I'm currently in London and obviously can't visit.

I am aware I can call the local municipality, but any pointers from those in the know would be a great help. 

Thanks

My wife has a character in her name that is sometimes misspelt, which has caused problems  twice in the past. It is quite a rigmarole to get it corrected with whatever Government Dept made the mistake. 

So from my experience there is no way you can get this fixed from the UK.

I believe intermediaries (lawyer, friend, relative etc) cannot get this corrected for you, and will need to do this in person.

My 2 cents worth of experience.

Thanks for the reply - from a phone call this morning it appears that this might just be the case. I would have to travel there with the original death certificate document so that they can amend it. Only other spanner in the works is that they may need evidence of my Dad's name (spelled in Thai) - which only appears on his (now long lost) marriage certificate.

I'll contact Phayathai on Monday to see if it's possible that they have a copy from a marriage that took place in 1985! ????

The jobsworth-ery is strong here. If it was a blatant error I can understand, but for a missing silent character I just wish they'd cut me some slack. It appears that the hospital phonetically translated his name and obviously when it comes to western names being translated to Thai it's very subjective.