Just another Nigerian scam letter

Matzzon

I decided to reply a few years ago, and sent the guy a false, made-up card number. I got a mail back saying that he couldn't access the card. I followed up with a similar reply to yours, but asking for a first payment of just £1000 sent by Western Union.. I didn't get it!

Edited by stouricks
  • Haha 1

Some years back when we lived in Belgium I actually got one of these by snail-mail. Addressed to me personally, it even had a stamp (sadly I don't recall what nationality the stamp was).

The only outfits that had my name and address apart from work and the local town hall was Belgacom (for the internet connection).

I wonder who sold my details?

• Like 1

I always have fun with these guys, On one letter I got they left a number of some African country, I decided to have a laugh and call the number pretending to be the FBI,the call wasn't much cost wise as I had a bunch of those hatari long distance telephone cards that you can buy at 7-11 at the time. Lets just say it was a hilarious call with these guys back tracking scared of me as I said we are in rout to your address in your country and your all going to jail for a long time.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, camble said:

Is the scam necessarily Nigerian or stereotyping?

Let´s say stereotyping on the factual basis that approximately 99 % of all these letter are from Nigerians. Happy?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Some years back when we lived in Belgium I actually got one of these by snail-mail. Addressed to me personally, it even had a stamp (sadly I don't recall what nationality the stamp was).

The only outfits that had my name and address apart from work and the local town hall was Belgacom (for the internet connection).

I wonder who sold my details?

Just because you gave your information to work, town hall and ISP does not mean they are the only ones that have them. Depending on how many years you are talking about the setup can be different. By, the way. You did not have a phone number or registered sim-card? No daily newspaper? You never registered for something or bought anything be postal order or Internet? All the things there is easy to look away from. 

After that you have the town hall. They probably have different departments. You were probably at sometimes registered for tax, union, insurance and maybe hospital. There are numerous things the register us automatically or that me make happen accidentally or not thinking about it. One of the registers can somehow be half open on Internet for some clever guy to just scrape the info from a website or an sql database. Can also be an attack at a register with an sql-injection that was very popular a few years back.

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Let´s say stereotyping on the factual basis that approximately 99 % of all these letter are from Nigerians. Happy?

Well they used to be (commonly known as 419 scams, named after the section of the Nigerian fraud law), but it is still such a fruitful scam that it is in use all over the world now.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Some years back when we lived in Belgium I actually got one of these by snail-mail. Addressed to me personally, it even had a stamp

My mom struggled with depression after her divorce years back, and was up late at night signing up for all kinds of things online. In the mail then came tons of junk mail, magazines, and fake checks for several thousand dollars for some "secret shopper program" she was now a part of. They looked awfully real, with corporate letterhead telling her to deposit the check, then go out and spend. Of course as the scam goes, then your bank account gets cleaned out, but I managed to intercept them. The stamps were from Spain. I imagine their high unemployment had many stuffing envelopes.

a very poor attempt at wit indeed.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

don't encourage them .... just tell them you've been in touch with the Internet Fraud dept' & IFW and he should be getting a call from their dept' very soon.

yeah, because that scares them.

43 minutes ago, CaptainCarrot said:

Well they used to be (commonly known as 419 scams, named after the section of the Nigerian fraud law), but it is still such a fruitful scam that it is in use all over the world now.

Yep, that out of the fruitfulness! the Nigerians now have enough scammed money to live everywhere. ????????????

Edited by Matzzon