Weather App

10 hours ago, RichCor said:

My android Chronos app utilizes data from Yahoo! Weather, and I have the AccuWeather app for hourly or 5-day forecasts. But just as stouricks mentions, they all report differently as the services collect their 'station' data from sometimes slightly different sources, and extrapolate for different locations. And if your area has micro-zones (mini-climates) then they're all bound to be off.

Why have forecasts? You know when it's raining when that wet stuff comes down from the sky, and it's sunny when that orange thing is showing.

And there's nowt we can do about it.

Edited by stouricks
  • Haha 1

I use Ventusky.. on my computer.. I prefer it to Windy.com.. personal choice..  I use accuweaher on my phone.. ok.. not perfect.  Thing is the storm cells can be quite small even if the weather pattern in general is for rain.. It can rain at my house and be dry a couple of kilometres away or even less.. I don't think there is any forecast system that can allow for that..  https://www.ventusky.com/?p=11.8;108.9;4&l=rain-3h

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Accuweather on my mobile but also read the T.M.D. and the BBC . They seldom give the same forecast and are not reliable . I guess it is not an easy task to forecast rain in Thailand as it is not often country wide but is very much isolated where an area of say 4x4 kilometres can have a deluge for 2 hours yet all outside that area get thunder/lightening but no rain . I would be interested to hear if anyone has an app that shows live satellite views that can be zoomed in to an area of your interest instead of a Bangkok or Thailand as a whole . 

Many years ago I was learning to fly and received the best bit of weather advice from the Bankstown Airport flight plan office, look out of the window.

• Haha 2

Ive used weather radar, ventusky, AccuWeather, weather atlas and others and I rate none of them. I live just out of Bangkok and these apps rarely get the rain or thunderstorms right. Last week we had flooding all along phet kasem and all the maps I mentioned said there may be a slight drizzle or that the weather was fine. Now I just check the js100 FB page to see if anything is coming, not the app though as I can't seem to get the weather on it.

Yahoo is the worst.  Pretty accurate in other parts of the world, but in Thailand whoever reports from Pattaya will never let the temp hit 90F, which it routinely does.  A joke.   The Weather Channel, which came with my phone, seems a much better service.

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

I use Ventusky.. on my computer.. I prefer it to Windy.com.. personal choice..  I use accuweaher on my phone.. ok.. not perfect.  Thing is the storm cells can be quite small even if the weather pattern in general is for rain.. It can rain at my house and be dry a couple of kilometres away or even less.. I don't think there is any forecast system that can allow for that..  https://www.ventusky.com/?p=11.8;108.9;4&l=rain-3h

Thanks, I like both of them after trying them this morning. I'll reevaluate when it starts raining.

'sometime', I have used weatherbug to see a bit of weather (rain) current and history (like where did that storm come from). I have used weather.com for the radar 'forecast'. I'm not really enamored with either. I've seen some sites that other posters have suggested, which I liked better, but didn't save them. I was hoping your post would draw them out. ???? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

I have Accuweather on my mobile but also read the T.M.D. and the BBC . They seldom give the same forecast and are not reliable . I guess it is not an easy task to forecast rain in Thailand as it is not often country wide but is very much isolated where an area of say 4x4 kilometres can have a deluge for 2 hours yet all outside that area get thunder/lightening but no rain . I would be interested to hear if anyone has an app that shows live satellite views that can be zoomed in to an area of your interest instead of a Bangkok or Thailand as a whole . 

https://weather.tmd.go.th/kknLoop.php

http://www.sattmet.tmd.go.th/satmet/mergesat.html

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/

Enough information there to do your own weather report.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

For radar I've been using https://www.rainviewer.com/ lately. Seems quite accurate and reliable.

Radar, being real time does tend to be accurate, great app for golfers. ???? 

For weather i use Windy as they use the best available "modelling", Ventusky weather is on another planet, least in my area!

If you have a airport close to you they put out hourly observations and forecasts, which are about as accurate as you are going to get.

Thanks for al your input, I was expecting too much from an app as some good posters say Thailand is a micro climate.

We have hills at the back,and in the distance we can see the rain lashing the condos along the beach & vice versa but not a drop of rain for us then the wind seems to change.

Its then we hear the train coming, that is a not a train its strong winds & heavy rain so its all hands on deck to get everything  in and all windows shut.

So for some posters  its not a case of just look out of you window to see if its raining or sunny